Desert Boots

No not the issue kind, but the "I was a regular in the forces in the 90's" kind, and used to wear them with jeans and a unit t-shirt along with my green Helly kind....

Having decided that this summer is was far too hot to be wearing my KSB's all the time, I started to look for a pair of the dessie boots I remember from my service.

The best place I found, happened to be http://www.christophershoes.co.uk/Products/Mens/Boots/Desert_Boots_list.html and the item is ROAMERS Ghillie Tie Desert Boot

Now I have purchased 1 x pair, but now I am after another pair! Is there any where else in the UK, that I can get a pair for for less?

ugly

LE
Those arent bad prices for nowadays although I recall them being about £5 a pair!

I get my ghillie ties DBs from Christophers shoes. No problems at all, I recommend them. I wear Dbs everyday and buy a pair a year, delivery within a day or 2

RC

Retd_crab said:
I wear Dbs everyday and buy a pair a year, delivery within a day or 2

RC
Interesting. DBs used to be indestructible, particularly the sole which was some kind of really dense skateboard type poyurathane,a nd they had nylon stiching which was similarly tough.

Then a new kind of DB, an Arnold Rimmer DB, which looked like the original but the soles went through in a month appeared. There was something wrong with the fitting and feel of this copy. Obviously the margins for the shops were bigger on the cheap stuff, and the real thing disappeared.

...or has it?

I remember buying a pair in Episkopi that lasted over 5 years of hard subby wear and tear. When I tried to replace them (same shop same chogie (?)) they lasted 6 months. Obviously quality wasnt as profitable.

Mr Happy

LE
you melt them with a match / lighter and they 'seal'. Only takes a second and try not to burn the whole lace and have it drip onto the office floor.

Mr Happy

LE
Mr_Deputy said:
Mr Happy said:
you melt them with a match / lighter and they 'seal'. Only takes a second and try not to burn the whole lace and have it drip onto the office floor.
oh thanks for telling me that at the end....I'm not paid to think

fire brigade!
Its surprisingly easy...

skidmarx said:
It must be summer, end of July, discussions about dessies and we're under a foot of water here.
DBs are rubbish a) in the wet and b) kicking "anything". My para pal kicked "something" (something that richly deserved it) wearing DBs; you should have seen the state of his big toe.

But on the other hand, how sh*t are the soles on Docs? Cumfy, but my pal the plod says that few beat cops wear them because you can go through them in a month.

I'm sure I didn't worry as much about value in footwear when mumsy was paying.

Mr Happy

LE
Mr_Deputy said:
I have got re-interested in the Doc Marten range and have smart loafers for work with suits and smart going out. Ended up with three pairs. Two dark one light coloured.
loafers for work? Oh dear... These are for work:

Mr Happy

LE
Mr_Deputy said:
Mr Happy said:
Mr_Deputy said:
I have got re-interested in the Doc Marten range and have smart loafers for work with suits and smart going out. Ended up with three pairs. Two dark one light coloured.
loafers for work? Oh dear... These are for work:

yes I know, quite right. however I fear the standards began to drop here before I let mine drop and it was a relief to drop them I admit...when in Rome...I enjoy a little 'loafing' now and plus, considering my 'arrse hours' ...all quite appropriate as well!
I have a pair of Church's for best (also acquired at a bargain price) but the sole on the Docs is mighty - doesnt look like standard DM sole but has small pockets or air and will keep you spritly after long long hours of walking and standing in the line of duty (while working and arrsing about in the office.)
Well as long as you know the standard and are dropping yours to fit in I suppose thats OK. Doc's with air eh? I may take a look, working in a location that has button down collars and brown shoes with dark suits as I do..