Desert Boots

I'm off on Telic 9 and am looking to buy myself some gucci desert boots. The problem is now deciding which ones to get, the short list is as follows:-

Lowa, Meindl or Altberg, :?
the prices range from £75 to £120,

Having not been there I dont know which ones would suit me, any thought would be gratefully recieved.

Regards

Tomo

Can't speak for the Lowa's or Meindl but I had a pair of Altberg's (the Original Plain ones-£115) and they're outstanding. Remember to get them at least 1/2 size bigger than you normally wear though.

I've had a pair of Lowas and currently have a pair of Altberg's (Neither are the dessie wellie tho).

The Lowas were supremely comfortable, and I absolutley loved them, unfortunately the sole came away from the boot and they became u/s. I will get around to resoling them if possible because they really are that comfy. This is not the only case I've seen of this though with at least 2 other pairs of Lowas coming to the same grisly end.

The Altbergs are also decent but quite a bit heavier than most other boots I have worn. This is only really problem if your on your feet for hours/days on end.

Overall, between the Lowas and Altbergs I would probably go for the Lowas despite my reservations about the sole issue.

You might want to have a butcher's at all the daisies on this Septic site before you finally make your mind up:

http://www.uscav.com

Superb quality, very reasonable prices and delivery is in about 14 days. They'll even write "Birthday present" on the packaging for you!

MsG

cpunk

LE
Personally I'd go for either the US issue boot which is excellent, or the Omani desert boots (which look like a suede DMS boot) if you can get them. Having said that, the Issued desert boots from 'Man at Q and M' aren't at all bad either, and they don't cost anything.

cpunk said:
Personally I'd go for either the US issue boot which is excellent, or the Omani desert boots (which look like a suede DMS boot) if you can get them. Having said that, the Issued desert boots from 'Man at Q and M' aren't at all bad either, and they don't cost anything.
I would agree that G10 for men are better than they used to be, but they still work on one (you know what I mean) size fits all. They kill my feet and I would recommend Altberg. Takes them time if you need an odd size/shape making up so I wouldn't hang about if you are deploying on T9.

I'm in Iraq at the moment and have just exchanged my knackered Magnums and got a pair of Meindls in return. Very nice and very free. They pnly had huge sizes and I'm not sure if these are to become the standard issue kit.

The meindls are the dogs,

well made, cool, hardwearing and substantial,

I'm not a fan of wearing boots that feel like a pair of trainer. I like to think that I can boot stuff really hard if required and not bruise my tootsies

I think you have to see a pair up close to appreciate em, I'd describe them as high leg KSB's

May the force be with you

If you get a chance, talk to the Aussies - they might want to interest you in a pair of Taipans. From what I heard from Oz troops in the Solomon Islands, they're v.good desert boots as far as the soles are concerned. Minor cracking in the uppers the only complaint. Good luck.
Cliff.

I've had no dramas with the issue boots, although they did make my feet stink. Utterly comfortable, especially with the issue socks.

Try 'em before blowing £100 on something else.

Been out to the sanpit 3 times, and the Meindl Desert Fox' are absolutely fantastc. They offer much better ankle support and protection than Altberg, and they don't have a narrow heel like the septics boot (which often feel like they're 2" too high). Issue magnums are comfy if you're sat behind a desk, anything else and they're pap!