Desert Boots.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
For a few decades I have always had a pair of Clarks DBs, with insole, lurking in the wardrobe. Looking around for some new ones I thought they were getting a bit pricey and I stumbled on the Barbour version, Ledger Boots, John Lewis have them at £71.96, down from about £120. Almost identical and with a lot more support.

Usual disclaimers.

barbour-ledger-shoes-taupe-p56557-59091_medium.jpg

Big Jim

Old-Salt
For a few decades I have always had a pair of Clarks DBs, with insole, lurking in the wardrobe. Looking around for some new ones I thought they were getting a bit pricey and I stumbled on the Barbour version, Ledger Boots, John Lewis have them at £71.96, down from about £120. Almost identical and with a lot more support.

Usual disclaimers.

View attachment 587046
why buy this crap. get some doc martens...Oi OI oi

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
From Amazon, Aldershot's finest foot coverings are available for far less:

1625666150743.png

All you need is some paracord for laces and you'll be transported back to the 80s, getting the crap kicked out of you in the Traf, then puking your ring up outside Tony's fish bar.

Oh. Just me then?

Get the cheaper ones, with crepe soles. Walk across the pan through a bit of kerosene.

Soles melt, along with your soul.

CFB

I had to buy two pairs for a job in Oman in 1984. Exactly as you describe. Crepe soles that had a habit of melting slightly. Only 7 quid a pair though and lasted for a year.

tiredoldhorse

War Hero
From Amazon, Aldershot's finest foot coverings are available for far less:

View attachment 587057

All you need is some paracord for laces and you'll be transported back to the 80s, getting the crap kicked out of you in the Traf, then puking your ring up outside Tony's fish bar.

Oh. Just me then?
It has to be said, these were the dog's bollocks in footwear

Never surpassed

Oh. Just me then?

Not just you.

"Pie and chips and three day's light duties, please."

It never got old;).

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Never surpassed
Amazingly comfy with a set of Sorbothane insoles, only issue I've ever had was walking on a wet marble floor in them and suddenly learning that frictionless is a thing, leading swiftly to a demonstration that Force does indeed equal Mass times Acceleration and point loading that force onto my coccyx hurt like a bastard.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Rogue make some good vellies. Around 70 squids for these.

RH1-KS-300x300_360x.png

Or you could go cheaper or grab somethig a bit more solid.

Never surpassed

It became a thing in my unit that if you bought a new pair you had to sup a pint of beer out of each one for them to be considered worthy.......................the really shite part was putting them back on at the end of the night and squelching back to the accomodation wearing them.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
why buy this crap. get some doc martens...Oi OI oi
Because DMs are now made in the Far East and the quality is in the toilet.

Solovair, up in that there Northampton, make air-soled boots and shoes to a standard that DM used to. I've got a pair of the monkey boots and they're absolutely solid.

Latest Threads