DesBroone may have to resign to vote against embryo research

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Mar 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Lots of reports about old men in strange costumes banging on about what their imaginary friends may or may not think about embryo research. The Telegraph for example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/22/nembryo122.xml

Apparently they want MPs to be given a free vote so that instead of voting the way the Government wants them to vote they can vote in the way they think there imaginary friend would want them to vote.

Now the potential good news is that whilst back bench MP's may be allowed to vote how the church tells them to vote ministers may not be allowed to vote against the Government and our part time leader Dez is one of those ministers who is apparently indicating that he may have to vote according to his conscience.

Conscience I hear you say. Broone has always demonstrated a somewhat flexible/malleable approach to conscience and integrity. Well now he is getting his instructions on conscience from Rome and may have to resign as a result.

It would be ironic if a man who has had plenty of opportunity to resign on matters of conscience ends up resigning on a matter of conscience because he has been told to stand in the way of medical research...

2. Dear God,

Can you also encourage Gordon to resign

Love n stuff

The Jibber!

3. Last I had read about it earlier they were going to be allowed to abstain from part of the paper but still not have to vote by concience, I don't fully understnad that a bit like buying a car but not the engine

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

So if Des does go who will replace him and will he/she any more or less of a waste of skin and organs

5. BuggerAll

The speculation is that backbenchers will be allowed to vote as ordered by Rome, but Gordon could not have Ministers voting against him so hopefully the Cabinet will be have to toe the Government line or go.

Exit Broone stage left carrying a large cross and being whipped by Ruth Kelly and her bunch of weirdos.

6. BuggerAll

Surely from the abundant talent on the NueArbeit back benches they can come up with some one to take on the position of MoD - its been done so badly for at least 7 years that he/she would not have to be very good to shine.

OK I see the flaw in my argument - if there is any body with talent on Labour's benches they are keeping it hidden.

7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I am almost getting nostalgic for Buffhoon

8. So not their concience but what somebody else tells them is their concience, I thought neu arbeit would understand that method

9. Even if Des does go, only half a job to fill!

10. Even if Des does go, only half a job to fill!

11. So,not only do our MP's get told how to vote by Brusslels, they also have to lsten to Rome aswell. Do any of them actually give a fcuk what Britain thinks. And where have all these consciences suddenly come from?
    Don't left footers also have to obey the 10 comandments?

12. It appears they have one commandment thou shalt ensure a good expense sheet.

13. I would imagine that unless Swiss Des has a particular desire for ministerial martyrdom, he'll discover that it is impossible for him to be in the Commons when the vote is held since he has to be somewhere else as a result of his workload (being Sec of State for two departments and all that).

While he's about as effective as Sec of State for Defence as a piece of A4 paper is at putting out a chip pan fire, I think I'd rather have him than, say, Ed Balls. Balls is likely to be a leading contender for the position in a reshuffle, since Broon is rumoured to wish to promote him, and the departure of Des would open up just such a slot...

14. BuggerAll

I'm probably splitting hairs: but not their conscience or what somebody tells them is their conscience, but what that somebody tells them their imaginary friend is telling them to say is their conscience.

I think I've got that right.

There are a lot of things that annoy me about Broone but the idea that he would put his loyalty to Rome ahead of his duty as Minister of Defence in a time of war on several fronts is vomit inducing.

No doubt some sickening fudge will be found but...

15. I just don't know how we will cope without him.

Although I should imagine a dam sight better than we have with him.