Des Browne - The Army is safe in my hands

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Juvenal, Nov 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is this a wind up?

2. pollies mate, they can make doom seem attractive

3. It's a little like Ian Huntley trying to convince us that children are safe in his hands.

Cnut!

4. "I sense a growing public appreciation of the sacrifices that our forces and their families make."

He's talking about votes, isn't he? Votes mean pay rises - mind, on the track record I don't blame you for not holding your breath.

5. well fcuk me i didn't know they'd sourced kit and support from the invisible man corporation. what a load of sh1t spoke like a true backstabbing robbing prat

6. I wonder if he's covered all his bases and has also published in The Guardian a story how he hates the last bastion of "the establishment".

Thing is, some people believe his drool - I had to correct my gf the other day, when she said Labour like the Armed Forces!!!!

7. He can say that all he wants but since we all know he's nothing more than a sock puppet for Gordon Brown, his attitude to funding the armed forces being well know, I don't think anyone will be holding their breath in anticipation.

8. Have posted under this article in the DT website. How this man has the gall to write such claptrap leaves me speechless with anger.

9. So much so, that I am able to carry out my duties at SoS Defence and Minister for Scotland.

Would this growing public appreciation be more to do with an increase in critique of HMG's stewardship of the armed forces?

Well Des, I think I'll take the Royal British Legion's view on that. For the RBL to mount a campaign addressing that very point, with supporting evidence from all three services. You are in cloud cuckoo land. Having never served our countries' armed forces, you are not qualified to comment, and your words themselves are an insult to all who have.

Can we take it as a given, that this is the duty of government? Or, is Des trying to make out, he's doing us a favour?

They certainly do.

All of which, have had to be campaigned for, and resisted initially by the Treasury and other govenrment units.

"in theatre" we have numerous instance where a lack of airframes has delayed the evacuation of injured pers. "In theatre" we have consistantly been unable to supply even the most basic of equipments to our forces. "In theatre" we are more over-stretched then ever.

Selly Oak - Remind us if you would Des, just how many injured soldiers have contracted MRSA whilst at Selly Oak? Remind us how many families have had to speak publically on conditions there, in order to have things changed? Remind us why the government cannot fund dedicated military hospitals?

Headley Court - Yes, world-class and having to rely on charitable donstions to exist. Stop taking credit for somewhere that the government should underwrite - or, do you figure that the cycle-rides, sponsored bricks and tin rattling is the best way for a nation to show it's appreciation?

Now, you're really taking the pizz Des -

Remind us how many pers, this actually relates to?

"We try" - doesn't quite tally, with Gen Dannet's view on harmony guidelines does it? Perhaps the Minister would be good enough to start publishing figures for the workloads of these 15 CMH units and the number of practioners managing an increasing incidence of PTSD and other post operative conditions.

Will this mean that sevice pers will continue to find themselves in treatment with drug dealers, in order to have their condition worked on by MHS mental health professionals, due to there not being enough military psychiatric resources?

The system is so straight forward that Combat Stress, RBL and others are now having to mentor applications, in order to ensure their process through the system. Please go onto defend the Armed Forces Compensation scheme and your thoughts on why families have to "speak to the media" before the government does a damn thing?

Yet, in spite of this, we've embarked on two major operations, which we have been unable to sustain from Day 1. For every British job and procurement contract, we've had vehicles relying on sadbags in the footwell for IED protection, an increasing reliance on the US military to supply essentials to us and soldiers having to rely on their families to supply the most basic equipment.

WTF = Just how out of touch are you and your advsors?

Now, instead of the "How do you find the new kit?" type questions, why not sit with those stagging on HERRICK and ask; "How many tours have done in the last five years?", "How is your family being affected by your back to back tours?", "Do you trust the government to look after you and your family if you are injured or killed on ops?"

This steady trickle of kit, remind us, how many years these ops have been live for?

"Some" - and the percentage is:

Witness soldiers on leave from operations camping out at Annington Homes earlier this year.

Think the words are ongoing commitment.

Who is kidding who Des? Do you read your copy, before you sign it off for release? Do you have any idea just how stupid and ignorant this statement makes you sound?

Er, no. It isn't.

I doubt it. I would imagine that the public would support the armed forces more, were it not for the government's continual "everything is alright, no, really everything is alright" approach to military operations, logistics and healthcare.

And on the evidence of this, is not fit to clean the boots of the most junior soldier.

10. This is on a par with the Invisible Tank thread!!

11. The Ministry of Defence said he was referring to individuals, who were not necessarily widely representative.

OK so the MoD responds by stating how the majority of servicemen really think, but pass an edict just a few months before explicitly banning servicemen from expressing their own opinion. Not convincing.

The Ministry of Despair in action.

12. Des Browne - The Army is safe in my hands - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

13. :D :D He should be called brown top he is full of spin . :D