Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Des Browne - knows what hes doing. doesnt he?

Des Browne with him in charge there is now one crucial difference between us and the circus
at the circus they dont have a clown in charge

We might also have flash gordon in an advisory capacity and superman/batman/spiderman providing casevac.
Last time des browne contacted reality it told him to p1ss off back to his own kind.

Still, at least we know it is 12 signals group, that polar has access to information at a frightening level (ie knows what the defence secretary means before he does), and that we are inevitably doomed to be governed by people who's only qualification to make our laws is that every five years they win a popularity contest. Anybody fancy blowing this popsicle stand and starting a military governed nation on an island somewhere?

IT_Rogue said:
Perhaps he meant "12 Signallers"

Des Browne is only the defence secretary as he is loyal to BLiar and not to Gordon Brown, and is seen as a safe but dumb loyalist who will do what he is told! As in common with so many recent defence secretaries he has no military experience or background, and is sometimes totally out of depth when talking about military units or names.
One example, Dougie Henderson who was Minister of the Armed Forces, came to a dinner night hosted by a unit i was with, no names and no pack drill, in the course of his speech he introduced a lame joke, as having been in conversation with a "Staffing Sgt of the General Adjutants Corps" those very words! I might be clueless but may be he was trying to say a 'Staff Sgt of the Adjutant General's Corps'
Any way, we have the "B" or may be the "C" list of ministers right now, Becket as the Foreign Secretary... she has little interest in the wider world, till recently she took her holidays in a caravan.... Jack Straw (though i am not a Labour Supporter) was an excellent foreign secretary in comparison, but he was sacked as he was displaying some independence or even possibly loyalty to Gordon Brown given he is likely to be the next PM!
So it is little wonder you have Defence Secretary who is a simpleton and has little knowledge of the Military..... and what was it 2 weeks ago, he was too busy in his constituancy to come back from Scotland to Westminster to speak in Parliament when another two servicemen had been killed in Afghanistan.. arrogance and disrespect is all Labour has shown to the Armed Forces BLiar has sent to conflicts, and who sadly have lost far too many good men and women.

The 12 Sig Gp rumour has been going around for at least 2 or 3 years now, talk to various SNCO's in related regiments about it and see what has been heard. The idea was that they take a squadron from each and turn it into a nice full Regiment (probably 10 men to a TN but that's to be expected) - man power wise it would probably leave just enough for people to sweep the drill hall once a week, and keep the lights turned on. and recruit new bods to cover the inevitable post tour fall out

Based on 34's latest camp though it sounds as if they will actually be deployed as some kind of elite infantry unit to do section attacks all day long between several hills, and spend insane amounts of time in 4R... before actually leaving camp. Insertion will be by means of windsurfing, kayaks, mountain bikes and any local bar.

bazzinho said:
Still, at least we know it is 12 signals group, that polar has access to information at a frightening level (ie knows what the defence secretary means before he does)

Sssh.. I briefed Des yesterday, I had him repeating unit names several times before I let him run with the conference. I reckon he'll come good in a few years. Tony rang me just now, he's really worried about this donations for peerages thing. He's thinking about joining the TA to see if he can escape all the crap (I reckon Des has screwed up again and really he meant to say the French Foreign Legion). Anyway which unit? Tony thinks **** (guess he really mean't FANY -- Des!!!!)

Must dash Cherie calling! She's so demanding, things one must do for Cherie and country

To quell rumour, our illustrious SoS was referring to 12 Mech Bde HQ & Sig Sqn rather than a non existant 12 Sig Regt or to the existing 12 Sig Gp. With so many politicians having no military background it is a simple mistake to make - the all informed media make the same mistakes frequently as well.

Our friends in 12 Sig Gp comprise the 3 TA Ptarmigan Regts (and will soon include 22 Sig Regt as the Regular element). The 3 TA Regts are indeed tasked to generate and sustain a single composite Ptarmigan Regt, in the event of a large scale effort where widespread mobilisation of the TA in formed units occurs. Any CNR component for that composite Regt will come from the 2 CNR Sqns now OPCOM to 2 Sig Bde.

There is no intention for any 2 Sig Bde soldiers (other than those in the CNR Sqns) to provide contingent component resources (read IRs) to any Ptarmigan Regt (Regular or Reserve), 2 Sig Bde's contingent component is tasked to Ind Sig Sqns (Armed, Mech, Lt & AA) as well as the Sqns in the Log Bdes whilst 12 Sig Gp contingent component is to the Regular Ptarmigan Regts; again in the event of a large scale - all hands to the pump - effort. Please note this is different to the provision of augmentees that currently occurs as part of the provision of manpower to enduring operations.

Hope that clarifies the position

royal_corps_offr said:
To quell rumour, our illustrious SoS was referring to 12 Mech Bde HQ & Sig Sqn rather than a non existant 12 Sig Regt or to the existing 12 Sig Gp. With so many politicians having no military background it is a simple mistake to make - the all informed media make the same mistakes frequently as well.

Our friends in 12 Sig Gp comprise the 3 TA Ptarmigan Regts (and will soon include 22 Sig Regt as the Regular element). The 3 TA Regts are indeed tasked to generate and sustain a single composite Ptarmigan Regt, in the event of a large scale effort where widespread mobilisation of the TA in formed units occurs. Any CNR component for that composite Regt will come from the 2 CNR Sqns now OPCOM to 2 Sig Bde.

There is no intention for any 2 Sig Bde soldiers (other than those in the CNR Sqns) to provide contingent component resources (read IRs) to any Ptarmigan Regt (Regular or Reserve), 2 Sig Bde's contingent component is tasked to Ind Sig Sqns (Armed, Mech, Lt & AA) as well as the Sqns in the Log Bdes whilst 12 Sig Gp contingent component is to the Regular Ptarmigan Regts; again in the event of a large scale - all hands to the pump - effort. Please note this is different to the provision of augmentees that currently occurs as part of the provision of manpower to enduring operations.

Thanks RCO. Welcome to the site. :)

Pssst everyone, he's got to be a real Offr as he can spell!

royal_corps_offr said:

So the CNR Sqns are about to be mobilised!! :wink:

Odd though that no units have cascaded this information down to keep the toms in the picture. Or does the SoS et al, think that the average TA soldier has no idea whats on the news? This whole thread was started by an honest question, so why has nothing come down through the CoC?

WhiteHorse said:
So the CNR Sqns are about to be mobilised!! :wink:

Odd though that no units have cascaded this information down to keep the toms in the picture. Or does the SoS et al, think that the average TA soldier has no idea whats on the news? This whole thread was started by an honest question, so why has nothing come down through the CoC?

Now now. I am sure that the memo pointing out the position is on it's way. In fact it is in the same letter telling us why we now have to do MATTS and the one which also explains what the fcuk has happened to so many people's bounty.

Sadly, given Des's incompetence I am sure he is sat in London asking why so many TA soldiers are complaining about the lack of a chocolate bar

polar said:
londonirish said:
maybe he meant 49 Para

Don't be silly I'd habe mentioned SAS 664

I am sure SAS 666 would strike more fear into the Taliban lets send her instead, as for a composit regt lets hope 33 dont wait for a severe weather warning before they decide to tie down their masts.

TA_sig said:
The 12 Sig Gp rumour has been going around for at least 2 or 3 years now, talk to various SNCO's in related regiments about it and see what has been heard. The idea was that they take a squadron from each and turn it into a nice full Regiment (probably 10 men to a TN but that's to be expected) - man power wise it would probably leave just enough for people to sweep the drill hall once a week, and keep the lights turned on. and recruit new bods to cover the inevitable post tour fall out

Based on 34's latest camp though it sounds as if they will actually be deployed as some kind of elite infantry unit to do section attacks all day long between several hills, and spend insane amounts of time in 4R... before actually leaving camp. Insertion will be by means of windsurfing, kayaks, mountain bikes and any local bar.

I am really gutted I left 34 as a RR now. :(