Des Browne Ha Ha Ha

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

2. Quote: "Most of Afghanistan is back in the hands of the Taliban. When will we be pulling out of there, too?

John McCormick

Newcastle

Most of Afghanistan is in the hands of the Government of Afghanistan. It's true that the Taliban still have a strong presence in places – mainly in the south – but they have not presented a strategic threat to government.
    "

Hmmm...

3. Anyone who thought he was a complete and utter clown needs to read the joke he told at the end!!

4. Will you tell us a joke!

Fuck that wasp stuff, didn't they find the rest of his answers funny enough?

T C

5. That was the most sensible comment in the entire article. The man is a tool.

6. Apparently there's 500 Internal Servers at the Indy, and they all have an error. Can somebody post the relevant quotes?

7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Works better with money in the meter mate :D

8. At a time when the UK is hugely committed in conflicts, shouldn't we have a full-time Defence Secretary?

M Kershaw

Exeter

You do. I've visited operational theatres – Iraq and Afghanistan – 12 times since taking the job. I'm dedicated and I spend every day of the week on defence issues.

Sorry Scotland, but Swiss doesn't think your important enough for him. He's apparantly a full time Secretary of State for Defense.

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I thought that, and then I thought 'Doesn't the Job of Secretary of State for Defence involve a bit more than visiting troops in the field? What about sorting out funding, procurement, welfare, etc?'

10. Des Browne: You Ask The Questions

At a time when the UK is hugely committed in conflicts, shouldn't we have a full-time Defence Secretary?

M Kershaw

Exeter

You do.What ? I've visited operational theatres – Iraq and Afghanistan – 12 times since taking the job. I'm dedicated and I spend every day of the week on defence issues.

Do you get paid two salaries for your two jobs?

Ravi Jai

by email

No. Just one by the MoD

Doesn't the recruitment crisis in the armed services prove that the war in Iraq was unpopular, divisive and ill-judged?

Sarah Craig

Morden, London

I do not agree that there is a crisis. The latest figures from November show that recruitment is improving overall. What about Retention?

How did you get your decision to allow sailors captured by Iran to sell their stories to newspapers so badly wrong?

David Reynolds

Durham

As I admitted at the time, a mistake was made – the decision to allow them to sell their stories was wrong and I said sorry on behalf of the whole department. Sorry for a complete c*ck up, I'll remember this as a defence the next time I'm in court.

Will you tell us a joke? If this is the level of questions to our SoS Def (PT) I doubt he's sh*tting himself.

Simon Cooper

by email

Man walks into a pet shop and asks for a wasp. The pet shop owner says, "We don't sell wasps sir". The man says, "Well why have you got them in the window then?"

My bold - be interesting to see his answer on shouldn't we have a full-time for SoS Scotland.

Will the answer be?

You do. I've visited Scotland – Inverness and Aberdeen – 12 times since taking the job. I'm dedicated and I spend every day of the week on Scottish issues.

Yawn

11. Compare and contrast:

Seems to be a touch of mutual incompatibility between these two statements. Surely, he couldn't just have been saying what he thought was the best response to the question, rather than the truth? Not a politician, surely?

P.S. Cheers, Sixty. I'll get things working just as soon as I can offload these Big Issues.

12. What an utter c0ck.

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Is there any advantage to him being a full time MoD. I know the job needs full time commitment but does it need Browne.

I remember many people felt TCH's best contribution to TELIC 1 was going on a skiing holiday. He got a useless mouth out of the way. Is it a case of the more time Browne spends on Scotland the better.

Although speaking as a Scot I'd probably rather he spent his time on Defence or better still with his family!

Incidently his answer on the Armed Forces and Overstretch demonstrate that he does not understand the meaning of any of those words.

14. Another shocking useless member of the Jock Mafia that run the country, a complete tossa, and I mean "Complete".......

15. Scotland certainly doesn't seem to think it needs a Scottish Secretary in Westminster...