Des Brown on radio 2

I disagree, his first instinct was to blame the Navy. He cancelled the Vine interview and then probably took some advice. This suggests to me the Navy were also taking advice to make the ridiculous decision in the first place. His was a reluctant acceptance of responsibility with no apology and after waiting 3 days for him to open his mouth. This is pure damage limitation nicely choreographed with Blair wanting everyone to "forget it."

Des Browne is a decent enough fellow promoted beyond his experience level, who offers no leadership, only an ability to accept advice. I do however, believe he is relatively sincere, especially when compared with his cabinet colleagues..

nigegilb said:
I disagree, his first instinct was to blame the Navy. He cancelled the Vine interview and then probably took some advice. This suggests to me the Navy were also taking advice to make the ridiculous decision in the first place. His was a reluctant acceptance of responsibility with no apology and after waiting 3 days for him to open his mouth. This is pure damage limitation nicely choreographed with Blair wanting everyone to "forget it."

Des Browne is a decent enough fellow promoted beyond his experience level, who offers no leadership, only an ability to accept advice. I do however, believe he is relatively sincere, especially when compared with his cabinet colleagues..
Good points, but 'Sincerity' is really not what is needed, 'Competence' is. What gets to me is that not only are the politicos useless, but the senior ranks and PR guys in Whitehall are also incompetent. I'd guess that the original decision was made at fairly junior level in the Press Office and then passed up the line through a bunch of people who really didn't think about (or understand) what the implications might be. That is certainly not a demonstration of professional skill or ability.

Des Browne will, like all of these Ministers, move on. What about the career paths of the others in this chain? No doubt they'll all be promoted to where they can do least harm...

Fully agree with most of what has been said about Brown, he should fall on his sword. The other thing that amazed me was the news that it was the navy that wanted this to happen! Are they that p*ssed off with seeing the Army in the news that they were willing to do anything to help with there recruiting. If that is the case they failed miserably and also the first sea lord should be doing the same as brown.

...on the other hand, it has tended to be the case that ministers only "take repsonsibility" when they are told to by the Dear Leader, when he feels his own elevated position to be threatened.

I would like to think the acceptance of responsibility is sincere, and there is an adage about sinners repenting and all that.

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
If Des B keeps his political nose clean over this one he knows that in 10-15 years time he will be well positioned for the backlsh against political youth and the corruption of the incumbent Conservative Government.

Des, as a sprightly 70 year old, will be a perfect candidate for an elder statesman next Labour PM.

caubeen said:
Daisy McAndrew on TV has just said "Browne was so popular" on a recent visit to forces in Iraq.

"Popular"? If so, it's not been reflected much here.
We are talking about the same man who after a discussion with troops in the field, was questioned on his qualification to be Defence Sec, put down the questioner with a answer along the lines of "you couldn't be Defence Sec" and was answered with a not so quiet answer of "thats because I'm not a cnut"...........? Sooooo popular :D

Is Daisy trying to lose her rep of being the Blond Assassin or is she just deluded?

Much as I am loath to praise anyone from Neu Arbeit, the following were quoted in Times2 yesterday (only just got round to reading it whilst on the bog).

Times2 said:
Browne says that as a father, he feels a responsibility for the young British soldiers who have been killed in Iraq and was deeply affected when he attended his first repatriation ceremony for the bodies.

He recalls: "What struck me at Brize Norton as these young men brought the coffins of their colleagues home - every one of them looked like my boy, my 20-year-old son."
A rather more impassioned quote than anything Bliar has produced on the subject and somewhat under-reported methinks. He may not be a bad bloke but he isn't a good SofS and needs a serious charisma inject; Ann Treneman, The Times' parliamentary sketchwriter, is quoted as having written:

Ann Treneman said:
...[Browne] is so dull that even ditchwater is thinking of lodging a libel action.
I think I've found a new quote for my signature block.

Edited because I am a chimp

Maybe I'm just over-cynical but I got the impression that Des's statement was of the "I didnae want tae do it mam - the big boys made me do it" type.

And I wish I could just "Draw a line under" something when it suits me ...

The close relatives under the patio, that bank job, the speeding offence ...

Ministers may take responsibility but provided there are no real consequences and they can 'draw a line under it'. Bollox all of it, nu labours cop out every time, its growing a bit stale each time they get caught.