Des Brown on QT

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bt80, Mar 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BB1 22.40 tonight
  2. BBC 1
    10:40 pm
    Question Time
    To mark the fourth anniversary of the Iraq war, David Dimbleby chairs a special debate from London with a panel including senior figures from Britain, the United States and the Arab world.
  3. My bad. It should, of course, read Browne

4. OK then, Who?

or even What?
  5. I wasn't being pedantic - I did mean who in the pejorative sense - i.e. who is Des Browne? Another nobody career scrote doing time as SofS.
  6. I think you will find it is actually Swiss Tony.

"A woman is just like a tent, you get the pole up and slip into the old bag!!"

7. Whatever you think of him, he's the most senior person in the MOD. So what he has to say will certainly affect those of us in the armed forces and might even be interesting.

Cheers for the heads up bt80.
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Doesn't stop him being a nobber
  9. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

Well at least he can stay awake for most of the day unlike some of his predecessors :muhaha:
  10. I missed it. Backbrief anyone? Anything of note?
  11. watch again here
  12. My impressions were:

1) Only Benazir Bhutto consistently spoke sense
    2) I am worried that the younger members of the audience seem to have no grasp of what a parliamentary democracy actually is - as a fairly regular watcher of QT this is something of an ongoing theme
    3) Tony Benn just ranted and raved almost incoherently at times: I'm starting to think increasingly of him as the kindly grandad you tuck away in the corner
    4) It was entertaining to see John Bolton get wound up although in fairness I think in terms of content a lot of his answers were quite good (even if you might, as I do, disagree with them)
    5) Des Browne played it very straight and to my mind came off better than Liam Fox, although that in part might have been due to Liam Fox not having many (possibly any) questions directed at him.
  13. Des playedit straight , and at least had the decency at times to look embarrassed at Bolton.

Bolton - "Mr. My Israel right or wrong"

The Syrian Ambassador and Bhutto both said "When are you going to invove Syria, which Bolton should have been pressed on , as well as the question I would have asked "Do you think your blinkered stance on Israel has helped to screw the issue.

His praise of "Plucky little Lebanon" had me screaming. It wasn't 10 minutes ago you were trying to fcuk the country over , being led by the nose by you-know-who.

All in all , weak , could have been much much better, but everyone was so careful to be polite to that patronising POS Bolton.

Except Tony Benn :D
  14. Tony Benn is a national treasure. At any rate he should be locked in a vault somewhere.

Benazir Bhutto talked by far and away the most sense of any of the panelists.