Des Brown on QT

BBC 1
10:40 pm
Question Time
To mark the fourth anniversary of the Iraq war, David Dimbleby chairs a special debate from London with a panel including senior figures from Britain, the United States and the Arab world.
 

Wija

LE
I think you will find it is actually Swiss Tony.


"A woman is just like a tent, you get the pole up and slip into the old bag!!"



 

SeaJay

Old-Salt
Victorian_Major said:
I wasn't being pedantic - I did mean who in the pejorative sense - i.e. who is Des Browne? Another nobody career scrote doing time as SofS.
Whatever you think of him, he's the most senior person in the MOD. So what he has to say will certainly affect those of us in the armed forces and might even be interesting.

Cheers for the heads up bt80.
 

in_the_cheapseats

LE
Moderator
SeaJay said:
Victorian_Major said:
I wasn't being pedantic - I did mean who in the pejorative sense - i.e. who is Des Browne? Another nobody career scrote doing time as SofS.
Whatever you think of him, he's the most senior person in the MOD. So what he has to say will certainly affect those of us in the armed forces and might even be interesting.

Cheers for the heads up bt80.
Doesn't stop him being a nobber
 

MS_Rep

RIP
RIP
Well at least he can stay awake for most of the day unlike some of his predecessors :muhaha:
 

ssupersixfour

Old-Salt
Gun_Empty said:
I missed it. Backbrief anyone? Anything of note?
My impressions were:

1) Only Benazir Bhutto consistently spoke sense
2) I am worried that the younger members of the audience seem to have no grasp of what a parliamentary democracy actually is - as a fairly regular watcher of QT this is something of an ongoing theme
3) Tony Benn just ranted and raved almost incoherently at times: I'm starting to think increasingly of him as the kindly grandad you tuck away in the corner
4) It was entertaining to see John Bolton get wound up although in fairness I think in terms of content a lot of his answers were quite good (even if you might, as I do, disagree with them)
5) Des Browne played it very straight and to my mind came off better than Liam Fox, although that in part might have been due to Liam Fox not having many (possibly any) questions directed at him.
 
Des playedit straight , and at least had the decency at times to look embarrassed at Bolton.

Bolton - "Mr. My Israel right or wrong"

The Syrian Ambassador and Bhutto both said "When are you going to invove Syria, which Bolton should have been pressed on , as well as the question I would have asked "Do you think your blinkered stance on Israel has helped to screw the issue.

His praise of "Plucky little Lebanon" had me screaming. It wasn't 10 minutes ago you were trying to fcuk the country over , being led by the nose by you-know-who.

All in all , weak , could have been much much better, but everyone was so careful to be polite to that patronising POS Bolton.

Except Tony Benn :D
 
Tony Benn is a national treasure. At any rate he should be locked in a vault somewhere.

Benazir Bhutto talked by far and away the most sense of any of the panelists.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
PartTimePongo said:
...Except Tony Benn :D
Why are people so polite about 'Tony' Benn these days? Is it because he's no longer a threat? The man is a grade 'A' hypocrite and falsifier, as well as holding political views which should really see him sectioned.

Tony Benn=wanker
 
cpunk said:
Why are people so polite about 'Tony' Benn these days?

Tony Benn=wanker
Agreed, for many reasons, but observing Bolton and Benn's mutual contempt was at least a little entertaining.
 
cpunk said:
PartTimePongo said:
...Except Tony Benn :D
Why are people so polite about 'Tony' Benn these days? Is it because he's no longer a threat? The man is a grade 'A' hypocrite and falsifier, as well as holding political views which should really see him sectioned.

Tony Benn=wanker
Tony Benn's politics hail from a different era one when the Trade Unions were strong and the Labour party still had some socialist principles.

Whilst most of us will disagree with them the principle of parliamentary democracy demands that he be allowed to make them without being vilified.

To be fair to him his views on Iraq and Afghan have been consistent all the way through.
 
geezer466 said:
Tony Benn's politics hail from a different era one when the Trade Unions were strong and the Labour party still had some socialist principles.
He's always been very careful not to suffer unduly for his morals, though!

NB I know he was a pilot in WWII and that his brother died fighting in 1944 so I don't question that he has served his country.
 

Latest Threads

Top