Des and the Hostages: a never ending story of embarrassment

Report reveals Iran seized British sailors in disputed waters
Times Online

Fifteen British sailors and Marines were seized by Iran in internationally disputed waters and not in Iraq’s maritime territory as Parliament was told, according to new official documents released to The Times.

The Britons were seized because the US-led coalition designated a sea boundary for Iran’s territorial waters without telling the Iranians where it was, internal Ministry of Defence briefing papers reveal.

Documents released under the Freedom of Information Act detail for the first time the blunders last spring that led to what an all-party committee of MPs came to describe as a “national embarrassment”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3761058.ece

anyone suprised?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
squiffy_parsons said:
Goku said:
Serious question, under what authority does the US have the right to do this?

the US-led coalition designated a sea boundary for Iran’s territorial waters
They think they have the right because they wield the biggest stick.
You jest, but that method works exceptionally well in that part of the world.

Goku said:

The same authority which they use for most things.

Biped said:
squiffy_parsons said:
Goku said:

They think they have the right because they wield the biggest stick.
You jest, but that method works exceptionally well in that part of the world.
Really? That's the Wolfowitz, Perl and Rusmfeldt theory. Hardly worked out 'exceptionally well' on contact with reality did it?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Engage your brains guys. This is disputed water for reasons going back centuries. Somebody had to make working decisions in order for us to operate in those waters. The US lead coalition did that.

The crime is not communicating that to the Iranians and negotiating a working agreement with them. They are never going to come to a proper agreement given that their claims are incompatible with Iraqi claims.

It's not US arrogance but incompetence and I suspect we share in that as well.

I thought this story was about the latest hostage taken in Afghanistan:

According to a leading Arab TV station, yet another US citizen has been kidnapped in Afghanistan. The following message with his own words was transmitted by the media on Sunday:

'I have been kidnapped by militants in Afghanistan. I doubt if I will ever be able to return to the states. Even if things get real nasty and I suffer inevitable torture, DO NOT pay any ransom money or attempt a rescue operation. America does not deal with terrorists.

Tell my wife and kids I love them.'
What a courageous man!

* edited to sneak a 'g' into Afghanistan :oops:

Alright, I have a boat who want's to join me being captured by that lot?

k13eod said:
They also released a photo:

Ahemmm Kev, he's one of ours, no Americanos therefore need to be involved. Could even be a member of this web site for all I know.

k13eod said:
I thought this story was about the latest hostage taken in Afhanistan:

According to a leading Arab TV station, yet another US citizen has been kidnapped in Afghanistan. The following message with his own words was transmitted by the media on Sunday:

'I have been kidnapped by militants in Afghanistan. I doubt if I will ever be able to return to the states. Even if things get real nasty and I suffer inevitable torture, DO NOT pay any ransom money or attempt a rescue operation. America does not deal with terrorists.

Tell my wife and kids I love them.'
What a courageous man!
Link..

Alec_Lomas said:
Ahemmm Kev, he's one of ours, no Americanos therefore need to be involved. Could even be a member of this web site for all I know.
Ok, ok ... if the Americans won't get involved I am quite prepared to go over there and open 'lengthy' negotiations with his captors ... someone has to make the sacrifice :)

Bossdog said:
The only link was to the photo mate :D

Another article on same:
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opinion-former-index/foreign-policy/murky-waters-confuse-mod-s-iran-hostage-stance-$1219128.htm

k13eod said:
Alec_Lomas said:
Ok, ok ... if the Americans won't get involved I am quite prepared to go over there and open 'lengthy' negotiations with his captors ... someone has to make the sacrifice :)

Bossdog said:
It is a bit annoying to have grot appear. Some of us use our work PCs and so do not enter the NAAFI on them. Your little joke could get people sacked.

offog said:
It is a bit annoying to have grot appear. Some of us use our work PCs and so do not enter the NAAFI on them. Your little joke could get people sacked.
I'm sure my 'little joke' won't get anyone sacked ... I have seen far worse appear on here outside the NAAFI.

I understand that a work PC was for carrying out work related tasks and not for surfing ones personal favourite websites. If I was your boss I would be more inclined for sacking you for using works time for personal issues.