"Derry" on Wikipedia

Am I the only old cunt who's annoyed that the world's default encyclopaedia is missing the word "London" from the name of NI's second biggest shithole? The city is called LONDONDERRY, that's it's official legal name and all that, and I don't care how many Provo scum are upset and offended.

On the way to Londonderry a while ago,some thoughtful person had gone & spray painted out the 'London' on all the roadsigns I passed on my way there...Place is still a shithole &,in a way,I'm sorta glad they've unofficially removed the London bit...Saves our great capital being associated with a shithole!

Wiki is open source - feel free to edit it if you feel so offended.

It would take a duty ARRSE roster to keep re-editing the bloody thing as the other side change it back- the online equivalent on painting the Forth bridge.

I'm being flippant and not going for a bite (despite this being the NAAFI) ;)

As "the other side" are PIRA-loving scum, I'm willing to spend a few minutes a day reverting their fucking lies.

Fair call - bagsie I'm not on midnight stag

No need to revert their Provo shite every minute, so we don't need a midnight stag, but it would be nice if ARRSErs could drop by a couple of times a day and make sure the proper name's in use.

Oh I do love the way statistics can be represented

It states that "75% of Catholics and 77% of Nationalists found the proposed change acceptable, compared to 6% of Protestants and 8% of Unionists."

Which implies, at first glance, that the overwhelming majority of people there want the name changed

But then says
"Then the EQIA held two consultative forums, and solicited comments from the general public on whether or not the city should have its name changed to Derry. A total of 12,136 comments were received, of which 3,108 were broadly in favour of the proposal, and 9,028 opposed to it."

So in other words 74% of all people, irrespective of religion or political bias either wants it to be Londonderry or don't think its a big enough deal to change it.

Yawn. And the moronic behaviour that makes people unable to live together and has cost 3000+ lives continues.

When will you lot grow up / evolve into normal, civilised people of the type such as one would reasonably expect to find in Western Europe in the modern age?

Londonderry's in north Yorkshire isn't it ;-)

If it bothers you so much why don't you ask the apprentice boys of Derry to change their name too?

OOOOOOOh! Hark at her! ..............Aaaand Box!

The Wikipedia article does make clear that Londonderry is the official name and if you type in Londonderry, you do get the same page. So, who really cares? If some prick is bothered enough to consider wasting time every day checking whether wikipedia say's Londonderry or Derry, more fool them. I have more meaningful shit to do with my life. I've never been there anyway. I've always chosen Belfast to be my holiday destination of choice back in the seventies.

Frankly, if the majority of residents of N.I. ever consider by democratic means that they wish to join the republic, let's do ensure that we bring all the money we spend there and the government paid jobs that are there back to the rest of the UK. I doubt that a union ever will happen though. If you probed deeper (probed, hmmm, there's a word) even the republic doesn't really want them. I like to think that some of these pricks know that really. :)

I'm sure my Mother's family always referred to the City of Derry in the County of Londonderry, but they were Enniskillen & Limerick left footers, so what do they know?

I always found the NI Prods' attitude to this one confusing. As pointed out above, they sing of "old Derry's walls", and The Sash has the line about "Derry, Aughrim" etc. As the Army will usually default to brevity it was natural for most of us to call the city by the shorter version, but the locals tended to get unreasonably huffy about it. The county, curiously enough, was nearly always 'Derry', in my experience. Anyway, who gives a toss about Wikipedia?

Yawn. And the moronic behaviour that makes people unable to live together and has cost 3000+ lives continues.

When will you lot grow up / evolve into normal, civilised people of the type such as one would reasonably expect to find in Western Europe in the modern age?
Seconded. I used to call it Derry as I'm lazy and it saved two syllables, which I saved up and at the end of the tour to say 'what an irksome poisonous shitehole Northern Ireland is, I wish its solipsistic and ignorant trash woke up to the twentieth century and stopped obsessing over the pointless historical nonsense to the point of spitting at children going to infant school. When will they evolve into human beings? I've spent six months here and barely met anyone I'd describe as sentient, let alone British.'

Hope that helps.

And it is throbbers like you that bring your pish to Old Firm games, I divert your attention to the above songs, sung by Prods at most Orange Walks and Rangers games.... fucking grow up!