• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Derivation of nick-name

Wow. Thanks folks.

That was as quick as, erm, a military flare going off!

I think I like the_boy_syrup's best - but will probably stick with William Schermuly
(wasn't he a good friend of Si(mon) Lume?).

smallheathen said:
And shrapnel was named after a bloke called .........errr......Shrapnel.

What if he'd been called Winterbottom???
Funny how things turn out, what if Mr George Bullet had been called Mr George Horse-Cock.

CQMS said:
smallheathen said:

Funny how things turn out, what if Mr George Bullet had been called Mr George Horse-Cock.
"The horse-cock with your name on it."

Has rather a ring to it doesn't it? :D

I always liked Thomas Crapper for a name. He didn't invent them, but he did make toilets.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't forget Col Peter Nissen - Hut of the R.E.
He invented the Wriggly Tin Barracks as it became famously known during WW1

Earned himself £13,000 and a DSO for it to

Edited to add £13,000 IN 1916 = £559,780.00

Kerrching

CQMS said:
smallheathen said:

It would've been shortened to "HC". Just as it would've if he'd been called Hillary James Trevington-Ibery-Trent.

"This weapon fires a TIT of 7.62 calibre."

MsG

auscam said:
BarkingSpider said:
firestarter said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Shrapnel
I've got a timing cone from one of those buggers on my desk here.
Found it.
tick tick tick BOOM!
Nooooo, it's clean! And not that kind of timer. :D
There were just some traces of black powder in the galleries when I found it (on a wreck), which I cleaned out with a stiff wire brush by the light of a naked flame. :eek:
The wreck (SS Volnay) was carrying hundreds of boxes of these little beauties when she sank in a gale. Loads of small lead shrapnel balls all over the seabed too, which is how you find the buried boxes...
I couldn't find the main shell case that went with it, now that would have been full of 'spaghetti' cordite. Still, wire brush and a naked flame for that too...

What?

lsquared said:
The old saying: 'Come on now, bite the horsecock'. Not forgetting the pride of Japanese railways 'The HorseCock Train'.
Wasn't that gay icon Steve McQueen in a film called 'Horsecockk'? Great car chase.

Latest Threads