Derek Robinson aka Red Robbo is dead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by velcrostripes, Oct 31, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBC has just announced that former British Leyland union convenor Derek Robinson has died at the age of 90 .

Known as Red Robbo , he virtually paralysed Longbridge throughout the 1970's .

Expect to see public displays of grief from assorted Corbynistas , a statement from Comrade Corbyn and a large attendance at the funeral

Derek Robinson (trade unionist) - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Hope the hearse driver downs tools

• Funny Funny x 51
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

Good, no loss at all.

• Like Like x 33
  4. He killed a lot of jobs, while doing very nicely out of their subs.

Much like that parasite Scargill.

• Like Like x 62
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Oh dear, what a pity. How sad.
    Never mind.

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. So the world is blessed by having one less parasite inhabiting it?

(Methinks this thread may be moved quite quickly)

• Like Like x 8
  7. Whilst I would not disagree that he put his personal political agenda ahead of anything else it would be unfair to criticise him solely for job losses, the management at Longbridge from the shop floor all the way up was atrocious too.

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Be a bit more funny if the hearse was something olf Brit Leyland & broke down.

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 7
  9. I read an obituary of a union leader from London docks. The twàt was actually proud of having destroyed an industry and the livelihoods of thousands of workers. Twàt

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. NSP

NSP LE

Hear hear! It's at times like this that I like to remind everyone of how many mines were closed down by Labour. It's more than Thatcher managed, if I remember rightly.

• Like Like x 20
  11. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

True enough, but he paved the way for turning the Longbridge plant into a large flat area waiting for rebuilding

• Like Like x 3
  12. So not Derek Robinson testbed Engineer from the Vulcan foundry?
    I was worried there for a minute.

13. That is a shame, I always enjoyed watching Call My Bluff, whilst I was off ill from school.

I will raise a pint of blackcurrant drink in his memory.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I've heard the same .
    A former worker told me that management were really bad at supply chain control , so there might be a shortage of gearboxes or heaters , or whatever .
    To avoid paying the workers to stand idle , they'd foment a strike so they'd all go home !

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  15. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

For those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing Red Robbo in action, strike action used to be by a show of hands. There are television pictures clearly showing the vote was against the strike and Red Robbo saying "motion carried - strike is on".

Which is why all strike ballots are now secret and independently supervised. And the unions tried multiple strikes to stop that change being brought in.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 14
    • Funny Funny x 1