Derek Robinson aka Red Robbo is dead

The BBC has just announced that former British Leyland union convenor Derek Robinson has died at the age of 90 .

Known as Red Robbo , he virtually paralysed Longbridge throughout the 1970's .

Expect to see public displays of grief from assorted Corbynistas , a statement from Comrade Corbyn and a large attendance at the funeral

Derek Robinson (trade unionist) - Wikipedia

So the world is blessed by having one less parasite inhabiting it?

(Methinks this thread may be moved quite quickly)

He killed a lot of jobs, while doing very nicely out of their subs.

Much like that parasite Scargill.
Whilst I would not disagree that he put his personal political agenda ahead of anything else it would be unfair to criticise him solely for job losses, the management at Longbridge from the shop floor all the way up was atrocious too.

I read an obituary of a union leader from London docks. The twàt was actually proud of having destroyed an industry and the livelihoods of thousands of workers. Twàt

He killed a lot of jobs, while doing very nicely out of their subs.

Much like that parasite Scargill
Hear hear! It's at times like this that I like to remind everyone of how many mines were closed down by Labour. It's more than Thatcher managed, if I remember rightly.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Whilst I would not disagree that he put his personal political agenda ahead of anything else it would be unfair to criticise him solely for job losses, the management at Longbridge from the shop floor all the way up was atrocious too.
True enough, but he paved the way for turning the Longbridge plant into a large flat area waiting for rebuilding

So not Derek Robinson testbed Engineer from the Vulcan foundry?
I was worried there for a minute.

I've heard the same .
A former worker told me that management were really bad at supply chain control , so there might be a shortage of gearboxes or heaters , or whatever .
To avoid paying the workers to stand idle , they'd foment a strike so they'd all go home !

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
For those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing Red Robbo in action, strike action used to be by a show of hands. There are television pictures clearly showing the vote was against the strike and Red Robbo saying "motion carried - strike is on".

Which is why all strike ballots are now secret and independently supervised. And the unions tried multiple strikes to stop that change being brought in.

Wordsmith

For those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing Red Robbo in action, strike action used to be by a show of hands. There are television pictures clearly showing the vote was against the strike and Red Robbo saying "motion carried - strike is on".

Which is why all strike ballots are now secret and independently supervised. And the unions tried multiple strikes to stop that change being brought in.

Wordsmith
Similar to when the steel shipping container appeared across the world allowing goods to be moved faster through the docks. UK dockers went on strike, part of the reason being that the thieving from cargo would end as the containers were locked. They saw that as a perk of the job. Thieving pikey shitebags.

I've heard the same .
A former worker told me that management were really bad at supply chain control , so there might be a shortage of gearboxes or heaters , or whatever .
To avoid paying the workers to stand idle , they'd foment a strike so they'd all go home !
Is that really true? Fcuking hell!

Similar to when the steel shipping container appeared across the world allowing goods to be moved faster through the docks. UK dockers went on strike, part of the reason being that the thieving from cargo would end as the containers were locked. They saw that as a perk of the job. Thieving pikey shitebags.
When I did my ticket in Liverpool I was in digs where the man of the house was a docker. Whenever they got a new ship to work he'd bring a copy of the manifest home and ask us if there was anything we wanted on it.

Wordsmith
One of Maggie's first acts when coming into power .
Bless her .....