Derek MacKay: Scotland's finance secretary resigns after allegedly sending hundreds of messages to 16-year-old boy

HE117

LE
Members of the British Parliament are technically not allowed to resign, however there is is a procedural workaround by getting a member to take up an "office of profit under the crown", usually the Stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of Northstead.

I am not aware of any such mechanisms regarding the Scottish Parliament.. perhaps Honorable Members could suggest some..?

Papal Nuncio to Ibrox comes to mind..?

TamH70

MIA
Members of the British Parliament are technically not allowed to resign, however there is is a procedural workaround by getting a member to take up an "office of profit under the crown", usually the Stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds or the Manor of Northstead.

I am not aware of any such mechanisms regarding the Scottish Parliament.. perhaps Honorable Members could suggest some..?

Papal Nuncio to Ibrox comes to mind..?
He'd certainly be the fastest thing in Ibrox stadium if he did take up that offer, that's for sure.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We need broader rules regarding the public's right of recall over politicians and elected representatives.
Whilst there is a right of recall for Westminster, petition involving 10% of electorate, it was set up after expenses so conditions are more related to financial misconduct.

There is no recall for Holyrood nor councillors.

There is no recall for Holyrood nor councillors.
Then there should be.

In the case of Mackay, he has stood down as FinMin ( jings, crivvens & help ma boab ) as he realised that he has spectacularly f***ed up.

That in itself is a tacit admission of guilt ( moral or legal ) and the auto default should be hoofed from office until such times as convicted or cleared.

The lad subjected to Mackays stalking might have been 16 ( an adult ? ) but might have the mental maturity of a 12 year old. I don't know, you don't know and Mackay certainly did not know.

There is something seriously wrong when an individual can stand down / resign from one public office, yet cling on to another public office.

I take it the car v tunnel method of retirement is frowned upon these days.

Seadog

ADC
I’m loving it (hence my post count on Derek Mackay threads).

I’ve always rated Derek Mackay as thicker than mince, the Dianne Abbott o’ the north, dropped out of university, never had a job outside politics, ‘came out’ early. Yet as a Minister in the Shortbread Senate he was trousering in the order of 100k.

He has/had his fans though, thicker people than he looked up to him.

The talent...with guys like oor Deek at the front, an independent Scotland will rule the world. Nicola’s anointed successor, blah blah dribble.

Angus has always said the costume is great as no one recognises him out of it.

1581695433144.png

Though actually I did sort of, only because I thought he was George* for a second.

*Songwriter and record producer, not Baron Cookham..

No, but it means he won’t be able to volunteer to help out on weekend outings, likely a bigger loss in his eyes......
Well everyone should have a hobby......

It would seem a verbal resignation is sufficient these days. No written letter or email was actually submitted

Tool

LE
The lad subjected to Mackays stalking might have been 16 ( an adult ? ) but might have the mental maturity of a 12 year old. I don't know, you don't know and Mackay certainly did not know.
My bold: I'm pretty sure the kiddy-fiddler (alleged) had a very good idea of his "target". He would have been aware of mental capacity.

Tool

LE
Any suggestion that the 16 year old had any links with the BB?
I'd say that the BB would dump him irrespective of whether the 16yo was a member or not. He would be toxic and expose any institution to possible legal issues if they kept his association.

I'd say that the BB would dump him irrespective of whether the 16yo was a member or not. He would be toxic and expose any institution to possible legal issues if they kept his association.
I thought anyone who had anything to do with youth movements had to undergo background checks. In this case, he'd clearly fail if asked to do so.

Tool

LE
I thought anyone who had anything to do with youth movements had to undergo background checks. In this case, he'd clearly fail if asked to do so.
Background checks are (AFAIK) not done regularly. He may have passed one 10 years ago when first appointed to the role, when none of this would have come to light.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There has still been no proven illegality

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Also looks like the new Tory leader north of the border thinks laying into the SNP is a good idea.

In his victory speech Mr Carlaw immediately turned his attention to the 2021 Holyrood elections, saying the “failing” SNP government is “on its last legs” in the wake of numerous scandals. “It’s morally and politically bankrupt and it has nothing new to say or new to offer,” Mr Carlaw said. “Every public service is entering this new decade in a worse position than it was a year ago.
If he sticks to hammering how a few simple messages, I think he'll make progress.
  • Using Indyref2 to distract from failings in office
  • Scottish budget deficit
  • Failure to run public services properly.
What Cumming has proved 'down south' is that having a few simple messages that resonate with the voters and sticking to them is the way to long term political gains.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads