Derek MacKay: Scotland's finance secretary resigns after allegedly sending hundreds of messages to 16-year-old boy

Why is Deek taking so long to announce he is stepping down as an MSP.? Waiting for payday?

Why is Deek taking so long to announce he is stepping down as an MSP.? Waiting for payday?
It's his job, hardly likely to give up well remunerated employment easily.

doc80905

War Hero
He's only got till next May to tough it out to and I'm not even sure he needs to rock up at Holyrood to keep pulling in a wage (?) Plus no doubt he'll get a decent wedge in severance when he leaves.

In spite of that btw, am not sure I'd agree with a recall facility for MSP's. If it worked the way it does in the House of Commons where 10% of the electorate need to be in favour of a recall, then I'm sure it would be abused by rabid nationalists (there must be 10% of them in every constituency) who would be starting constant recall petitions for every non yesnp politician.

Dredd

LE
Yes. My focus is only on the legality on the issue.

If I was to go around 'righting' the world on issues that isn't matching my morals or ethics then they'd be alot of trouble.

Whilst we have the freedom to view the world through our own moral/ethical lense, it doesn't change anything.

For better or worse, the law is the law. Somebody, somewhere, in a position great power made the age of sixteen the age of consent.
My personal opinion on this matter does not agree with it, but then again, my personal opinion does not matter.
Fair dinkum. But this is politics and sometimes the smallest transgression can see a career (and even life) ruined while other total whoppers are simply ignored, as it is inconvenient or uncomfortable to acknowledge let alone address.

However, on the legal aspect, let's see what Boabies Scoatlan conclude from their investigation and whether or not it gets pushed on to the PF to decide if there is a case to answer.

Seadog

ADC
I’m reading in the Scotsman that Mackay’s last minute stand in, Kate Forbes has animated LGBT activists because she has the wrong opinions on trannies.

I’ll vote for her.

I’m reading in the Scotsman that Mackay’s last minute stand in, Kate Forbes has animated LGBT activists because she has the wrong opinions on trannies.

I’ll vote for her.
Ms Forbes, who has represented the constituency of Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch, since 2016, is the latest female SNP politician to be drawn into a row over gender reform which is dividing the party.

Her fellow MSP Joan McAlpine and MP Joanna Cherry have been attacked for their views on sex and gender, as they believe the two should not be conflated, and that the Scottish Government should not introduce the idea of "self-identification" for transgender people who want to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

Last April, Ms Forbes, along with government ministers Ash Denham and Ivan McKee and Holyrood's deputy presiding officer Christine Grahame, SNP colleagues Joan McAlpine, Ruth Maguire, and Kenneth Gibson, and MPs Carol Monaghan, Angus Macneil, Joanna Cherry and Patricia Gibson, signed a letter which challenged the government over its reforms to the Gender Recognition Act.

The statement, which was also signed by four leading SNP councillors, said that “conflating sex with gender identification affects a wide range of policy and service delivery, including data collection, education, health and social care, justice and sport. New information about this topic is emerging all the time and deserves to be properly scrutinised”.

It added: "“Changing the definition of male and female is a matter of profound significance. It is not something we should rush.”

He's only got till next May to tough it out to and I'm not even sure he needs to rock up at Holyrood to keep pulling in a wage (?) Plus no doubt he'll get a decent wedge in severance when he leaves.

In spite of that btw, am not sure I'd agree with a recall facility for MSP's. If it worked the way it does in the House of Commons where 10% of the electorate need to be in favour of a recall, then I'm sure it would be abused by rabid nationalists (there must be 10% of them in every constituency) who would be starting constant recall petitions for every non yesnp politician.

Doubt it doesn't look lime you get a pension until your 65 unless he blags it as medically unwell
Screenshot_20200211-165220_Samsung Internet.jpg

Seadog

ADC
Ms Forbes, who has represented the constituency of Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch, since 2016, is the latest female SNP politician to be drawn into a row over gender reform which is dividing the party.

Her fellow MSP Joan McAlpine and MP Joanna Cherry have been attacked for their views on sex and gender, as they believe the two should not be conflated, and that the Scottish Government should not introduce the idea of "self-identification" for transgender people who want to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

Last April, Ms Forbes, along with government ministers Ash Denham and Ivan McKee and Holyrood's deputy presiding officer Christine Grahame, SNP colleagues Joan McAlpine, Ruth Maguire, and Kenneth Gibson, and MPs Carol Monaghan, Angus Macneil, Joanna Cherry and Patricia Gibson, signed a letter which challenged the government over its reforms to the Gender Recognition Act.

The statement, which was also signed by four leading SNP councillors, said that “conflating sex with gender identification affects a wide range of policy and service delivery, including data collection, education, health and social care, justice and sport. New information about this topic is emerging all the time and deserves to be properly scrutinised”.

It added: "“Changing the definition of male and female is a matter of profound significance. It is not something we should rush.”

I sense that Scottish society is not as progressive (that’s ‘right-on’) as the SNP would like to think it is. More power to the rebels/free thinkers.

Back to Derek and his texts.

Dredd

LE

Which goes to show that if you take the prism of Nationalism away, they are not all batsh*t crazy. Interesting that they would challenge the Groupthink as well, since much of attraction for the voters to date has been their unerring ability of them all to goosestep march to the one beat. If only they were able to apply the same individual conscience to their current block-vote behaviour shown in the big Parliament. That may yet come, as the glitter fades and reality really begins to bite.

Seadog

ADC
Meanwhile on my Facebook feed;

to criticise or fancy 17 year old Greta Thunberg is outrageous. ‘How dare you, she’s a child’.

The same people commenting on the object of Creepy Breeks Derek Mackay’s affections say; ‘he’s 16 and fair game’.

doc80905

War Hero
Meanwhile on my Facebook feed;

to criticise or fancy 17 year old Greta Thunberg is outrageous. ‘How dare you, she’s a child’.

The same people commenting on the object of Creepy Breeks Derek Mackay’s affections say; ‘he’s 16 and fair game’.
There's a "children & young peoples commissioner" whose role is this -

"The Commissioner exists to be a fierce champion for the rights of all children and young people in Scotland. He promotes and protects your rights if you're under 18, or up to 21 if you're in care or have care experience."

I wonder what he makes of Mr Mackays behaviour?

IMG-20200211-WA0004.jpg

Dredd

LE
Speaking of the legal nature of things and possible prosecution, it would seem that even a conviction and placement on the Sex Offenders Register is not sufficient cause to make an elected official stand down:

As pointed out in another post, they can just brazen it out until the next election before they have the public decide if they should continue to represent them - note the similarities involved here. Suspended from the Party, stood down from all committees and positions, but hanging on for the pay cheque.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Subject of a phone in on Radio Scotland this morning.
Should MP, MSP councillors lose job when subject to a criminal conviction.

Whilst this would apply to the Aberdeen councillor, it would not to MacKay as yet to be proven that he has done anything illegal, let alone be convicted for it.

Subject of a phone in on Radio Scotland this morning.
Should MP, MSP councillors lose job when subject to a criminal conviction.

Whilst this would apply to the Aberdeen councillor, it would not to MacKay as yet to be proven that he has done anything illegal, let alone be convicted for it.
We need broader rules regarding the public's right of recall over politicians and elected representatives.

Latest Threads