DEPRESSION

#2
I think it depends on the depression! How long, medication or not, is it fixed!!
 
#4
Yeah those as well!

Tankman7

so give us the details of the depression and we'll examine the situation from there!
 
#5
i think is has alot to do with medication more than anything else......eg, if u were on meds, how long for?,how long have u been off the meds? etc etc
 
#6
When filling out my medical forms, I put (truthfully) that I suffered from a fair whack of teenage depression in the early 00's, from when I was about 16 to when I was about 17. It felt like a bottomless pit at the time if I'm honest, but looking back was probably no worse than what most kids that age have.

I was formally diagnosed with depression at around 16 years, but refused medication, having heard that it often does more harm than good.
Obviously I've been a cynical sod for the past few years, but now I'm out of the woods and have been for a long time.

I'm nearly 23 now, and my medical forms - "teenage depression" and all, have come back cleared, okay to go.
 
#7
What is it with our society these days, and "Depression"?
Life throws us all a few emotional curve balls, and we all get a sad on from time to time, but why does it have to be so bloody dramatic?
 
#8
sandmanfez said:
What is it with our society these days, and "Depression"?
Life throws us all a few emotional curve balls, and we all get a sad on from time to time, but why does it have to be so bloody dramatic?
Because GPs make a lot of money by prescribing medication instead of saying "get some exercise and a healthy diet and you'll feel much better".
 
#9
sandmanfez said:
What is it with our society these days, and "Depression"?
Life throws us all a few emotional curve balls, and we all get a sad on from time to time, but why does it have to be so bloody dramatic?
Not to mention RIP threads and laughable attempts at poetry for complete strangers.
 
#10
As regards depression; it is a fairly modern problem amongst people. For example neanderthals were not depressed and neither were people of ancient civilisations (you did not see a Roman legionary depressed at the futility of his existence after having lopping off the heads of a few hundred Cartheginians).

One theory on the reason for depression is that now human beings are no longer acting like what we are (animals) and are not driven by a survival instinct or doing what becomes natural because of this we are given too much time to dwell on our actions because we no longer have to be savage in order to survive.

A scenario to explain my point; a male lion takes over a new pride, his first action is to kill all the cubs of previous males as well as any other competitors.
If a human did the same it would be monstrous and vile act and a reasonable a human would feel guilty about such actions and the lion wouldnt.

depression is contrary to our survival instincts and renders people unable to function as an animal and in an uncivilised (/undomesticated) society would mean certain death to the sufferer
 
#11
fusil89.

How do you now Romans never suffered from depression? Given they were people like the rest of us that seems unlikely. Certain forms of depression are related to low levels of seretonin which may or may not be related to the circumstances around them. In other words people can be completely debilitated by depression with seemingly no obvious cause in their environments. Life doesn't have to make you depressed, you can just be depressed.

What is more likely is that we simply take more notice of mental health issues than we once did as our understanding of their causes and the effects on the individual have become known.

As for depression being unnatural because it renders an individual unable to survive, well so does cancer but that didn't stop the ancient world getting that either.
 
#13
MrNurse said:
fusil89.

How do you now Romans never suffered from depression? Given they were people like the rest of us that seems unlikely. Certain forms of depression are related to low levels of seretonin which may or may not be related to the circumstances around them. In other words people can be completely debilitated by depression with seemingly no obvious cause in their environments. Life doesn't have to make you depressed, you can just be depressed.

What is more likely is that we simply take more notice of mental health issues than we once did as our understanding of their causes and the effects on the individual have become known.

As for depression being unnatural because it renders an individual unable to survive, well so does cancer but that didn't stop the ancient world getting that either.
my apologies, I should have clarified, I was referring to pschology as a whole (which is a new science) not just depression. Depression has only been recognised in recent decades as a medical condition. My point was that perhaps they did become depressed but were most likely unable to dwell on the matter due to the brutality of the era. However my points regarding humanity as opposed to nature still stands; only humans have true psychology (and emotions) due to the way that we have "evolved" in terms of social structure and society which has left us more "domesticated" and no longer wild hunter-gatherers as we once were.
 
#14
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=12995&cn=5

Ancient Greeks and Romans were divided in their thinking about the causes of melancholia. Literature of the time was filled with references to mental illness caused by spirits or demons. In the 5th century B.C., the Greek historian Herodotus wrote about a king who was driven mad by evil spirits. The early Babylonian, Chinese, and Egyptian civilizations also viewed mental illness as a form of demonic possession, and used exorcism techniques (such as beatings, restraint, and starvation) designed to drive demons out of the afflicted person's body as treatments. In contrast, early Roman and Greek doctors thought that depression was both a biological and psychological disease. Gymnastics, massage, special diets, music, and baths, as well as a concoction of poppy extract and donkey's milk were used to alleviate depressive symptoms.
It's always been with us - the Romans used to call it "melancholy" but nowadays we call it "depression".

If it's on the rise, it's only because of an increase in the same old factors: lack of exercise, too much booze, obesity, lack of family/friends to provide support. Now that people are more drunk, fatter, more socially isolated than before, it's not surprising that they end up with depression.

That may be some of the reason why so many ex-servicemen end up on the streets with mental health problems - suddenly the regimental "family" vanishes and no-one is there to beast you into fitness, and you can drink all you like all day long.

A pint of your finest donkey milk please, barman! :D
 
#15
fusil89 said:
[
my apologies, I should have clarified, I was referring to pschology as a whole (which is a new science) not just depression. Depression has only been recognised in recent decades as a medical condition. My point was that perhaps they did become depressed but were most likely unable to dwell on the matter due to the brutality of the era. However my points regarding humanity as opposed to nature still stands; only humans have true psychology (and emotions) due to the way that we have "evolved" in terms of social structure and society which has left us more "domesticated" and no longer wild hunter-gatherers as we once were.
No appologies needed. I take your point. Almost certainly we now have more time for introspection and allowing depression to dictate our lives than in centuries past where the realities of life would have forced an individual back on their feet if it were possible to do so in order to survive.
However, and i am in no way suggesting that you impied this, the fact that people with psychological/medical issues were forced back on their feet in order to survive in no way invalidates the recognition of the effects of depression in todays world. Recognising the damage that can be caused to an individual by simply ignoring an issue when we now have the luxuory of being able to address it can only be a step forward.

All of that said I am aware of research to suggest that the modern world can have significant effect on the levels of mental illness due to the different pressures (in contrast to previous societies) it places on an individual. So I would certainly not dismiss the assertion that developments in society clearly have an effect on the prevelance of disorders.
 
#17
fusil89 said:
MrNurse said:
fusil89.

How do you now Romans never suffered from depression? Given they were people like the rest of us that seems unlikely. Certain forms of depression are related to low levels of seretonin which may or may not be related to the circumstances around them. In other words people can be completely debilitated by depression with seemingly no obvious cause in their environments. Life doesn't have to make you depressed, you can just be depressed.

What is more likely is that we simply take more notice of mental health issues than we once did as our understanding of their causes and the effects on the individual have become known.

As for depression being unnatural because it renders an individual unable to survive, well so does cancer but that didn't stop the ancient world getting that either.
my apologies, I should have clarified, I was referring to pschology as a whole (which is a new science) not just depression. Depression has only been recognised in recent decades as a medical condition. My point was that perhaps they did become depressed but were most likely unable to dwell on the matter due to the brutality of the era. However my points regarding humanity as opposed to nature still stands; only humans have true psychology (and emotions) due to the way that we have "evolved" in terms of social structure and society which has left us more "domesticated" and no longer wild hunter-gatherers as we once were.
Ok it is true that depression was not recognised fully until the 1950s - tricyclics were developed in the same decade, but there people have recorded depression throughout the ages (The Greeks even termed the word "melagcholia" - melancholia - Galen also mentions it in Roman texts and Robert Burton wrote a whole paper on it in the 1600s).

People (like some on here) who seem to think that depression is a "modern" problem and people should pull themselves together and stop 'having a sad on', obviously have never experienced themselves or had famliy or friends suffer from depression, and seeing that we know some members of the armed services suffer from trauma related psychological issues, something that needs to be tackled.

My only criticism of the above is that your ideas of modern society being an evolvement over hunter-gatherers smacks of 19th century arm-chair anthropology!

-Apologies as I was drafting this others made the same points!-
 
#18
As I have said previously it is a "theory" that I think could be plausable, I am not trivialising depression and see it as a very serious issue but my point is that depression seems more frequent now possibly because of the modern lifestyle in which we live, which as previously mentioned by "mr nurse" gives us more time for "introspection".
 
#19
Depression, pff its just all mental; being a fat lonley **** dont help but its all about mental strength. Which can be learnt, if you try hard enough. Instead of giving pills out to everyone who moan "oh no something bad has happened" just get the GP to stay ******* deal with it you ****. Then on no-ones records, and save the NHS millions. Im really smart, arent i? solving all these problems.

oh and tankman next post take the CAPS lock off please.
 

Similar threads

Top