Depression - need some advice

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aleeway2003, Jun 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi this is actually my first post on this site. I am thinking of applying to be an Officer, however I have a little problem - medically. Last January I attempted suicide (with, ironically, my anti-depressants), evidently I am still here, and instantly regretted my decision and was allowed back home after 3 days. I was on the lowest dose of medication and completed my course in february, and therapy in october, I was considered perfectly fine, and know that I will not relapse. However, I know that this can cause problems i.e. joining, and would like to know how long I would have to wait or if I could ever join the Army. Furthermore I know that under the Disability Discrimination Act, that illnesses cannot be a bar to entry although this is the MOD so there must be some difference in this. Could someone advise me, or at least tell me who I can contact to discuss this further.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

Please do not mock this post as I am asking for advice, NOT to be ridiculed!

2. You will have to wait 3 years before you are allowed to apply. The reason for this is that although you say you will not relapse, statistics show there is a high possibility of relapse. If you are symptom free for 3 years you will be eligible to apply.
  3. Just to confirm Andyroo's point about recurrence. I have had depression off and on for some 25 years. It comes and goes. When it is with me I take medication. My consultant gave the opinion that depression cannot be 'cured' - only controlled. Recommendations included a maximum of physical exercise and indulge oneself when the depression hit. This worked for me.
    Hope Aleeway2003 does get in; only want to caution him against 'it wont happen again' Maybe not go so far as self-harm again.
  4. The very best of luck to you, aleeway, in whatever you may do. I've battled clinical depression most of my life so I feel very empathetic towards you. Being a middle aged Spam, I have nothing which would help you attain your goal except my understanding of your problem.

Once again, may fortune smile on you.
  5. aleeway2003

Remember what you discussed with your CPN or clinical psychologist. It's important to gain and maintain self esteem and confidence. If you intend to join, spend your time getting fit and focusing on your goal.
    Good luck.
  6. Aleeway, sound advice in the previous posts. I fought what I now know as PTSD which ended up manifesting itself was clinical depression. I was still in when this started, But managed to complete my time in.

You have set yourself a goal, thats one of the most important things to have, work towards it. Physical training will help you immensly, even if it means you just go for a long walk, but exercise is key. Reduce intake of alcohol, caffiene etc. they can contribute to mood swings. Get your self checked out medically for thyroid problems, vitimin B12 levels, you never know but you may have a medical problem that can be treated easily. Talk to your doctor to see what tests can be done.

Just keep your chin up. Keep to your goals and you will be fine. If you want to talk, send me a PM or email through the site.

Take care.
  7. You can email or PM also.

Make sure you have a healthy diet. Depression can lead to to 'inertia'. This can lead to a lack of personal hygiene and eating rubbish.
    Make yourself a list of what you're going to do each day and tick each task off after it's completed. Before you go to bed, look at the list and see what you've achieved.

Take care.
  8. You have posted before though under a different name with the same topic, remember this one...
  9. As mentioned above, lots of physical activity might also help give you a lift. This has the added benefit of getting you fighting fit for joining up, so why not get out there and play some sports, or go running, or whatever. :)
  10. Sorry to hear that mate, we all make bad decisions and the only way we can learn from them is to look back on them in shame, just remember that next time your feeling bad over em'. I honestly cant see why you would be refused if youre a stable personallity, and judging from this post youre not the only one who suffers from depression just try to think before you act and remember theres always someone to talk to.
  11. The above is excellent advice. There has been a lot discussed recently as to whether GPs ought to prescribe exercise as opposed to anti-depressants.

I suffered from severe depression at one point and exercise gives you a natural lift. You also know that you have done something constructive.

This might sound really daft but I also listened to music pretty much every hour I was awake as it is a real mood lifter.
    Concentrate on the following basics:

Keep clean & look after yourself
    Eat regularly & well
    Use your friends & family

I wish you the best of luck! :)
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer all have said best of luck aleeway.

Some of the common anti-depressants (notably Diazepam IIRC) have been known to CAUSE rather than cure the problem....apparentely some people can experience an adverse reaction.

I'm sure there are better qualified people on here who can tell you all about it.

Depression and firearms can be a problematic mix - and the Armed Forces are very antsy about any kind of mental health issues. But if the Army is what you really want to do, then hold fast to your ambition.

It's worth remembering that one of this Board's iconic military heroes, Winston Churchill, had frequent lifelong bouts of depression which he referred to as The Black Dog. I do not believe the trick cyclists would approve of his self medication methods, which involved copious amounts of Pol Roger White Label and brandy.

Not sure if he ever attempted suicide - but I'm sure he thought about it many times in the grimmer phases of his early life. Hard to judge what this country would have become without him - but I suspect a lot of people here would have a better knowledge of German than they really wanted to have.

Hold fast that feller - and when the Black Dog comes visiting - tell him to sit in the corner and mind his manners!

Le Chevre
  13. Aleeway - make sure you discuss this with your CPN before making any decisions of this nature. What part of the Army do you wish to join?