Depression in the Army

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Smudge7907, Oct 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realise that I may be opening a bag of worms but, PTSD and GWS are often mentioned when it comes to ex-servicemen and women, however depression is not. I realise that for many it is seen as a sign of weakness, but it is very real and affects many more people than either of the forementioned, whether ex-forces or not.

Having suffered from this from an early age I was just wondering what the military's stand point on this is now. After having a breakdown in '94 I was simply SNLR'd and that was that. It wasn't until 2002 that I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor was a great help, putting me on medication and arranging for me to see a psychiatric nurse (which was the geatest help). I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "cured", but I can handle any situation that comes my way now. I even did a college access course just to get my mind "exercised", and was accepted for a degree course at Cambridge Uni (had to get back to work though.) I'm also no longer on medication.

I would like to hear of anyone who has had a simular experiance to mine and also how the Army in particular deal with depression these days.

2. Depends on how serious the depression is thought to be. Serious cases will be seen by the DCMHs + psychiatrist if appropriate and CBT ( now the 'gold standard' for treating depression) is available too. The army no longer has in-patient facilities and anyone requiring this goes to one of the Priory hospitals dotted around the country.

It certainly isn't an automatic discharge and much depends on the circumstances, ie whether the depression is as a reaction to life events or something else.

3. I've suffered with depressive illness for the past 10 years, since the death of my son. I'm still serving and the help I have received has been bloody marvellous.

DG