Depression - Application deferred?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by morilla, Sep 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, at present I am in the middle of an application to join up, and have a couple of question regarding medical history. My doctor has just completed an RG8 form to send back to RCB, and has hard to put down that I suffered from a "low mood" and "depression" in feb 2005 due to family problems.

My question is, how will this effect my application. I have had a look through these boards and can see some different outcomes to this problem, and am just worried that my application will be put back three years on medical grounds. I understand that this is due to the handling of weapons. Is this always the case?

As far as I was concerned I was never really depressed, and only went to the doctor as my liver was hurting due to drinking too much with the rugby lads, and now wish I'd never seen the doc!

Also if my application is put on hold, when will this be done? Have RCB brief in a short while, will i still attend this, or is the whole process shifted?

Many thanks for your help.
  2. Usually, a history of depression does not debar you, God knows we've all been there! The only significant factor is if the depressive episode is severe, recurrent and requires medical treatment such as antidepressants.
  3. Well I was apparently prescribed flourosomethingorother for that month, but being stubborn didn't take them as i didn't think i needed them. Will just have to keep my fingers crossed.
  4. Should be okay given the circumstances of your 'depression' - sounds perfectly understandable to me!

Fluorobolloxyshite - the drug of choice for depression!
  5. Fluoxetine (Prozac) is probably what you're referring to.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Most people suffer from or are diagnosed with depressive/anxious episodes at some point in their lives, and if they're not the they certainly suffer from them.

Hell, if you join up these days you're bound to be diagnosed with PTSD at some point!
  6. I was diagnosed with TPDS and dyslexia..
  7. If your liver is hurting you've got more to worry about than depression.
  8. Indeed... your liver sounds weak and should be punished!
  9. Depression is the modern soldiers way of saying thank you to this government - hey, there are loads of tablets out there designed to make us happy and whats better, the army give us them free of charge!!! :D
  10. my livers fine, just a couple of abnormal functions due to intake of jack daniels! Really hope I dont get deferred.
  11. morilla wrote:

just a couple of abnormal functions due to intake of jack daniels!

Sounds to me like you may be a little over qualified for the army!!
  12. The Army Drs do tend to be over careful with any cases of depression treated with any form of medication. Hopefully you will be ok but do not build your hopes up to much at this stage just in case.
  13. Just the doctors diagnosis back then! Not my own! I think most students would have slightly abnormal liver functions if you tested them. In my medical opinion! :D
  14. if u were prescribed somethin i think it might be deferred , wether you took the tablets or not

good luck anyway hope it works out