Depression & Anti depressants

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mishmash02, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm fairly new to this site, decided to finally register as I have something concerning me.
    I've done my BARB scoring 81 and have been given my medical forms which I took to the doctor almost 2 weeks ago now.
    I rang my careers office on Monday and they said the medical forms were with thier doctors and that it would take 5-10 days to complete but should be sooner.
    Anyway after not hearing anything I rang back up yesterday and they said there had been no change and that they will be in touch but if not try again next Friday.

My only concern is that I'm actually taking anti-depressants at the moment and I'm not 100% sure how long it will be before I'll be stopping taking them.
    I had a bit of a bad time last year - sister emmigrated, parents split up, house sold and had to move and lost my job.
    Since starting the medication I feel tonnes better and obviously because of fitness levels you need for the Army, exercising makes me feel more energetic and tonnes better too.

I'm just wondering what effect this will have on me getting in.
    Am I still likely to have an interview in which they will discuss any concerns with me?
    Would I still be given the chance to go to a selection centre or is this something that is offered when you are "mentally sane" for 2 years (not that I'm insane lol)
    Are they still likely to discuss with me the reasons as to why I was depressed or is it likely they'd have already made their mind up?

It's concerning me a little, I really have my heart set on joining as soon as possible, having to wait a couple of years is not something I'm perticulally fond of although if that's their decision I obviously don't have a choice...

Thanks in advance for any advice =)

2. Dahac/Hollieh/Mishmash = 02.

3. I think you may find you will be deferred for at least two years.

Firearms and depression dont mix. Well they do but you end up with a nasty mess.

4. Do you seriously think that is a bad time? If you can't cope with a few little twists in the path of life, how the hell do you expect to cope with the stresses of Forces life?

5. You stated the above your reasons for depression and needing and still being on meds, ergo you are not coping and it didnt take much. You admit it wasn't 'THAT bad' Now try thinking logically. If you cannot cope with that you obviously have a low stress threshold. As such you have little chance of coping with the stresses faced in Forces life.
    Maybe I didnt give a reply you wanted to read but sometimes the truth hurts. Go away see some life and learn how to cope with it and then maybe, just maybe, you might be able to deal with Forces life.

6. And there go the teddies................. wonder when the dummy will join them.

7. As previously posted. If you are fine then you would no longer be on medication.

You also now have a susceptibility to mental illness. It may take a few years for you to possibly join or they may not allow it. You will have to see. However you are in no position to judge your suitability for service in the armed forces having only ever been a civilian, and not experiencing the stresses and strains of service life.

8. And it's, 'All off in the Grand National.'

:clap:

9. If the treatment is SSRI, or similar, you will need at least six months to come off it. These pills though not concidered additive, do require a slow weaning off period, then a period of clear, no replase. This will depend on your DR.
    The taking of AD's (anti-depressants), should not be taken lightly, these are (if the above is the type), strong mind altering drugs, though very effective, are perscribed or have been a bit too freely, though I am not in the army, I would expect a two year referal, at minimum.
    These are a list or basic SSRI
    citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil, Emocal, Sepram, Seropram)
    escitalopram oxalate (Lexapro, Cipralex, Esertia)
    fluoxetine (Prozac, Fontex, Seromex, Seronil, Sarafem, Fluctin (EUR), Fluox (NZ))
    fluvoxamine maleate (Luvox, Faverin)
    paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat, Aropax, Deroxat, Rexetin, Xetanor, Paroxat)
    sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral, Serlain)
    dapoxetine (no known trade name)

10. mishmash02 check Private messages

11. I have said my bit on your inability to cope with little hiccups in life, based on facts supplied by yourself Mishmash and have nothing to add to that. However before I take my leave, I wonder if you could explain why I should show any remorse (n. 1. a sense of deep regret or guilt for some misdeed 2. compunction, pity, compassion) I have nothing to be regretful of in this instance nor have you given any good reason for me to pity you or have compassion for you.

12. I refer you all to my first post here - et fin.

13. Helomonkey, if you havnt been there, dont comment. I have never been in the army and have never had a desire to, (I cant take orders from anyone!), but support the forces 100%. But I have suffered from depression, and its not pleasant.

Back to my reply, to the starter of the thread, if you are still taking pills, I cannot see that you will be allowed in, until you have a (long) peroid free of AD's, sorry to dissapoint you.

14. Mishmash02 - I hope you have had the advice you need as I am going to lock this thread. This is to prevent the dullness that is being spouted by those who base their knowledge of depression on what they read in the daily rags or hear from their mates.

Apologies to those who have provided sensible medical advice.

Peeby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.