Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depression and Other Mental Health Issues

Could be both

OK its a sensible thread so obvious gag aside

It could be either - my gran and her side the family mean daughter - My mate uses it for SWMBO - I thought he meant daughter
For avoidance of doubt, our lass is my partner of 11 years.

You could try making a complaint at the link below, but please be aware it is not secure. Probably to put complainants off using it.
Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust: Making a Complaint
Poole is the one that I don't have a problem with. Royal Bournemouth Hospital comes under Bournemouth and Christchurch NHS Trust. St. Ann's and Forston Clinic come under Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

wheel

LE
Poole is the one that I don't have a problem with. Royal Bournemouth Hospital comes under Bournemouth and Christchurch NHS Trust. St. Ann's and Forston Clinic come under Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust.
They will also have a complaints log. They have to respond to any complaints that are logged. Works well especially when you inform your MP as well.

They will also have a complaints log. They have to respond to any complaints that are logged. Works well especially when you inform your MP as well.
Probably too late now. I have mentioned it to the Community Mental Health Team but never made a formal complaint. Frankly I was too tired and stressed to do it.

My experiences confirm that the NHS mental health staff are clowns and not worth bothering with.

Seeing as their role involves people in need of urgent care its more accurate to describe them as dangerous clowns.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably too late now. I have mentioned it to the Community Mental Health Team but never made a formal complaint. Frankly I was too tired and stressed to do it.

Unless I've missed something, I thought a panel of three psychiatrists was required to detain someone under the Mental Health Act?

Unless I've missed something, I thought a panel of three psychiatrists was required to detain someone under the Mental Health Act?
There are different types of Section that I have encountered. As posted above s135 and s136 are police powers to Section in the home or outside. There is a nurses section, which lasts up to 8 hours - when our lass was admitted to Forston Clinic in January she went as an informal patient, ie not under Section. When she tried to leave she was put under the temporary Nurses Section until a doctor was called.

Section 5(2) is a 72 hour Section which can be done by one doctor. She's had this happen in A&E a couple of times and once at Forston. When she was ill two years ago she was immediately put on a Section 2 (up to 28 days) while in Royal Bournemouth. Cue the theme from "The Great Escape" but she escaped from AMU at Royal Bournemouth. I found her and took her straight to Bournemouth police station. On a six bed ward with three nurses, no one reported her missing until after six hours the police phoned them and said "We've got one of yours." She never went back, being admitted to St. Ann's straight from the police station.

Section 3 is up to six months. I don't know how many signatures are required for that.

Remember, all of these are "up to". This is the first time that our lass has been in for the entire length of a Section so had to be upgraded to Section 3 two weeks ago. Because she has been discharged twice and then readmitted there has always been a new Section. Also "time served" (my phrase, not sure about the correct term) is taken off an upgrade, so this time she has gone from a Section 5(2), to a Section 2, to a Section 3, but her six month Section 3 starts from the start time of her 5(2).

I could be wrong on some of the minor details but this is how I remember it.

I would assume that you were appropriately compensated in exchange for non-disclosure?
50% above statutory redundancy rates. So no, not really. I could possibly claim that I was incapable of signing the form as I was signed off work for the first time in my life with stress and mental exhaustion following our lass's hospital admission (this was her admission 2 years ago - it all gets rather confusing). However they will say that I had legal advice, paid for by them, so tough.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
However they will say that I had legal advice, paid for by them, so tough.
Tell them to poke it, non-disclosure of their own failures to act properly and/or attempt to cover them up might be construed to be witholding evidence.

According to this, under certain conditions you're protected in the UK under PIDA 98.
Get independent legal advice to find out.

My experiences confirm that the NHS mental health staff are clowns and not worth bothering with.

Seeing as their role involves people in need of urgent care its more accurate to describe them as dangerous clowns.

Not just the mental health team, but also the clinical staff assessing urgency at casualty

I turned up once slipping into a diabetic coma, by then my speech and mental faculties were already suffering, they just thought that and left me for hours waiting for an assessment from their mental health team

I nearly died because casualty didn't think my situation was serious, and ended up the hospital going down the whole lessons will be learnt route

I hope for someone else's sake they did

For those who don't know, our lass has been in hospital since the start of June. She has been discharged twice, but was readmitted after eight and four days respectively. She has had a longstanding diagnosis of depression with psychotic episodes but this has recently been changed to something that I'm not prepared to discuss yet.

Her oldest friend said that I could write a book about our experiences so here are a few of the completely true things that have happened over the last four months.

Dorset has an out of hours helpline for people who have mental health problems called the Connections Team. They aren't very good. The first time that I had dealings with them they advised her to drink hot milk and honey to help her sleep. That obviously didn't work and the police picked her up at Bournemouth coach station.

There was the time when she was having an episode outside and the Connections team were on the point of sending the police to Section her on the street. However when I finally managed to persuade her to go home they accused her of care seeking and put the phone down on her. She did another runner and ended up at the police station. The police took her to a friend's house and a few hours later they called an ambulance.

The most recent one involved being on the phone to the Connections Team half the night. At 0715 she ran out of the flat and they told me to phone the police. I did but they weren't interested as she was just standing outside so I phoned for an ambulance. The ambulance arrived at 0745 and she refused to get in as she thought it was a fake ambulance. The ambulance phoned the Connections Team and they said, and I kid you not, can you phone back after 0830 when the Home Treatment Team get in? It was a Friday morning, pissing down with rain, and a one way street with lots of parked cars and nowhere for traffic to get past the ambulance. The ambulance crew phoned the police and the WPC who had picked her up from Bournemouth coach station was the one who took her, me and a paramedic to A&E.

After assessment in A&E she will be transferred to the Acute Medical Unit before going to St. Ann's in Poole, or once to the Forston Clinic outside Dorchester, as was the case back in January. I've mentioned elsewhere how she spent four days in a side room in Bournemouth AMU where she wasn't washed, didn't change her clothes and was wearing a five day old sanitary towel. She was in no condition to help herself and on an almost empty ward none of our heroic NHS staff could be arsed to help her. I was only able to visit her on her last day there because of COVID restrictions, and I have to wonder what other inappropriate behaviour they got away with using that excuse. Her next stay was at Poole AMU, and again she was in a side room, and had a nurse sat with her 24/7. Poole hospital were bloody wonderful. Her last stay was at Bournemouth AMU and this time I read the lazy bastards the riot act when she was admitted.

She was admitted to St. Ann's from Poole at midnight on a Friday. At 1100 on Saturday our lass phoned me from St. Ann's. "Can you bring my meds in?" "Why?" "They don't have any."
She put me on to a nurse who told me that they didn't have her meds in the cupboard and that the pharmacy was closed on a weekend. So yes, I had to head over to a hospital that doesn't do medication on a weekend.

I'm really sorry to hear about your lass, believe me, I know where you're coming from. I've been dealing with the "experts" for over thirty years. I've actually thought of writing a book, due to all of the cock ups, by aforementioned "experts." How can I help? Well not a lot if truth be told, except to say, hang in there! You are the best chance she has. You give up on her, and she's down the Swanee. I knew, shortly after we were married my lovely lass wasn't quite right, mentally. It would seem you don't have that problem. Never, EVER let them, "experts," off the hook. Unlike them, you're dealing with the same "patient" 24/7. Unlike them you can spot the nuances, telling you when their "expert," input is needed. It's frustrating, when you know things aren't quite right, yet either, because of the system, or "they' know better, the ones you love are deprived of the help they so desperately need.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
£140bn(+) a year in budgetary expenditure - remind me why folks were clapping the 'untouchables' again?
My boss is an American from Oregon. When he first came to the U.K. he was very critical of the US health care system compared to the NHS.

Two years later he’s residing the NHS isn’t as good as it’s made out to be. ‘Stake and lacking service focus’ was his terminology.

Great for life threatening stuff and end of life care, but it falls down for everything in the middle .

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I see this ex para is raising money for mental health charities, I wonder how much this stunt cost?
I think he may be in need of treatment himself.

Well that’s a good link, any how this chap only jumps from a helicopter 130feet up without a parachute. Yes it was over water but he still lost consciousness and needed to be checked over in hospital.
There are easier, safer and less expensive ways to raise money for a good cause.
Shame the link isn’t working there was a video. Have a look half way down the news home page.

Last edited:
Just when we thought that 2020 couldn't get any worse...

It's my birthday on Sunday and considering how well she is doing I was hoping that she could get some home leave so that we could perhaps go out for a meal, or something similar. However her best mate Helga, who was in intensive care earlier this year with COVID, hasn't been feeling well for a while. Well today our lass tells me that Helga has TB.

So since Helga visited her a week ago and went off the grounds with her to walk Helgas dog for a few hours we are now awaiting a decision as to whether or not our lass needs testing for TB. So home leave and me visiting the hospital is currently on hold. We both had BCG injections at school so are hopeful but I'm not sure how long that lasts.

What is potentially frightening is that Helga has been complaining of chest problems for about a year and despite being in intensive care this hasn't been picked up, presuming that she has had it for a while. Helga is Hungarian and recently hit the big 40. Did kids in Hungary get the BCG in the early 90s?

The problem with our wonderful NHS, apart from the fact that we have paid for a Rolls Royce but seem to have been given something from British Leyland, is a lack of communication.

Whenever our lass has been ill I tend to have to speak to at least half a dozen people to make sure that something is recorded. When our lass escaped from Royal Bournemouth Hospital a couple of years ago following a previous episode it was the police who told them that she was missing (six bed ward, three nurses, no-one noticed that she had escaped for six hours until the police phoned them to say that they had her).

Now as per my previous post, it was my birthday yesterday and I wanted her home for the day so that we could go out for a meal and have a bit of normality. So I asked about ten days ago, and kept asking. And asking. And being told "we'll phone you back". So last Thursday I went to visit and finally got an answer.

She is allowed two hours unaccompanied leave every day. She is also allowed five hours leave accompanied by me. Not just on my birthday but every day. And has had it for a week. So when I first asked she already had the leave but no-one told us.

So she can get on the bus and potter around Poole for an hour on her own. Or she can get the bus home, spend five hours at home with me and then get the bus back alone. If I pick her up from the hospital her "accompanied" leave starts then. I think that the logic is to get her to be more independent.

However when I asked if an overnight stay was possible, as happened when she was admitted in January, the answer was no as due to COVID rules she would have to go into quarantine and they don't have the facilities on the ward. Unless of course we slept in separate rooms, kept a two metre distance and wore face masks. I do wish that I was joking there. So on Friday we sat cuddled up on the couch for two hours watching Inspector Montalbano on iPlayer before she went back to the hospital.

Anyway yesterday went well. The restaurant was quiet for a Sunday lunchtime but then half of Bournemouth were out panic shopping. She is concerned about leave ending due to the new lockdown and asked me to ask them to release her early. I'm not going to do that as she is close to the finish now and I don't want her to come home before she is ready, although I did mention it to her nurse. She told me that they will let me know today what the implications are of the new lockdown rules are in our low infection area (thanks Boris, you utter throbber). Gut feeling is that they will use medical exemptions to let her travel home, but visits to the ward might be restricted. However, as per my opening remarks, it's 9.35 pm and they haven't phoned.

Oh, and neither of us, nor the hospital, have been contacted about possible tests for TB, despite both of us having being in close contact with Helga on multiple occasions this year and Helga currently being in quarantine.

Latest Threads