Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depression and Other Mental Health Issues

For those who don't know, our lass has been in hospital since the start of June. She has been discharged twice, but was readmitted after eight and four days respectively. She has had a longstanding diagnosis of depression with psychotic episodes but this has recently been changed to something that I'm not prepared to discuss yet.

Her oldest friend said that I could write a book about our experiences so here are a few of the completely true things that have happened over the last four months.

Dorset has an out of hours helpline for people who have mental health problems called the Connections Team. They aren't very good. The first time that I had dealings with them they advised her to drink hot milk and honey to help her sleep. That obviously didn't work and the police picked her up at Bournemouth coach station.

There was the time when she was having an episode outside and the Connections team were on the point of sending the police to Section her on the street. However when I finally managed to persuade her to go home they accused her of care seeking and put the phone down on her. She did another runner and ended up at the police station. The police took her to a friend's house and a few hours later they called an ambulance.

The most recent one involved being on the phone to the Connections Team half the night. At 0715 she ran out of the flat and they told me to phone the police. I did but they weren't interested as she was just standing outside so I phoned for an ambulance. The ambulance arrived at 0745 and she refused to get in as she thought it was a fake ambulance. The ambulance phoned the Connections Team and they said, and I kid you not, can you phone back after 0830 when the Home Treatment Team get in? It was a Friday morning, pissing down with rain, and a one way street with lots of parked cars and nowhere for traffic to get past the ambulance. The ambulance crew phoned the police and the WPC who had picked her up from Bournemouth coach station was the one who took her, me and a paramedic to A&E.

After assessment in A&E she will be transferred to the Acute Medical Unit before going to St. Ann's in Poole, or once to the Forston Clinic outside Dorchester, as was the case back in January. I've mentioned elsewhere how she spent four days in a side room in Bournemouth AMU where she wasn't washed, didn't change her clothes and was wearing a five day old sanitary towel. She was in no condition to help herself and on an almost empty ward none of our heroic NHS staff could be arsed to help her. I was only able to visit her on her last day there because of COVID restrictions, and I have to wonder what other inappropriate behaviour they got away with using that excuse. Her next stay was at Poole AMU, and again she was in a side room, and had a nurse sat with her 24/7. Poole hospital were bloody wonderful. Her last stay was at Bournemouth AMU and this time I read the lazy bastards the riot act when she was admitted.

She was admitted to St. Ann's from Poole at midnight on a Friday. At 1100 on Saturday our lass phoned me from St. Ann's. "Can you bring my meds in?" "Why?" "They don't have any."
She put me on to a nurse who told me that they didn't have her meds in the cupboard and that the pharmacy was closed on a weekend. So yes, I had to head over to a hospital that doesn't do medication on a weekend.

Have you made your local MP aware of what has happened to your other half in terms of NHS treatment?

Have you made your local MP aware of what has happened to your other half in terms of NHS treatment?
£140bn(+) a year in budgetary expenditure - remind me why folks were clapping the 'untouchables' again?

Last edited:
Not this C/S. My experience of the NHS here in Wiltshire has been excellent, but they were pretty poor when I lived in Surrey and I am having to live with the some of the consequences of that.
I don't have a beef with the 'clinical excellence' piece - it's the administration that is utterly fucked. £140bn - where does it all go? It can't be nurses as they're all on starvation wages.

Dr Death

War Hero
Sadly Mental Health Services are the poor relation in the NHS.
A good example is the London Boroughs of Sutton/Merton/Wandsworth/Richmond & Kingston all had back in the 1990's their own mental health units. Now all amalgamated to one site in Tooting. Anyone who knows Springfield Hospital knows it in an awful place to visit and they say its progress - the NHS is NOT run by doctors anymore but by accountants and bean counters trying to hit targets.

The NHS should be run by those that know how to and not by 1D 10 T managers.

Note:
This is only my view from being an SHO in the area & having friends who are doctors in the said areas still.

The NHS employs c.1m staff - the wages bill will be astronomical.
1.6m I believe, 5th largest employer in the world - with numbers like that the organisation should be faultless. I think it's beginning to eat itself.

I don't have a beef with the 'clinical excellence' piece - it's the administration that is utterly fucked. £140bn - where does it all go? It can't be nurses as they're all on starvation wages.
Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians scenario.

My Mrs is a nurse and the amount of bureaucracy and BS nurses have to deal with from "Management" who have zero medical experience is mind boggling. The sooner Matrons are brought back to run the wards the better as far as she's concerned.

It wasn't broke, it didn't need fixing.

For those who don't know, our lass has been in hospital since the start of June. She has been discharged twice, but was readmitted after eight and four days respectively. She has had a longstanding diagnosis of depression with psychotic episodes but this has recently been changed to something that I'm not prepared to discuss yet.

Her oldest friend said that I could write a book about our experiences so here are a few of the completely true things that have happened over the last four months.

Dorset has an out of hours helpline for people who have mental health problems called the Connections Team. They aren't very good. The first time that I had dealings with them they advised her to drink hot milk and honey to help her sleep. That obviously didn't work and the police picked her up at Bournemouth coach station.

There was the time when she was having an episode outside and the Connections team were on the point of sending the police to Section her on the street. However when I finally managed to persuade her to go home they accused her of care seeking and put the phone down on her. She did another runner and ended up at the police station. The police took her to a friend's house and a few hours later they called an ambulance.

The most recent one involved being on the phone to the Connections Team half the night. At 0715 she ran out of the flat and they told me to phone the police. I did but they weren't interested as she was just standing outside so I phoned for an ambulance. The ambulance arrived at 0745 and she refused to get in as she thought it was a fake ambulance. The ambulance phoned the Connections Team and they said, and I kid you not, can you phone back after 0830 when the Home Treatment Team get in? It was a Friday morning, pissing down with rain, and a one way street with lots of parked cars and nowhere for traffic to get past the ambulance. The ambulance crew phoned the police and the WPC who had picked her up from Bournemouth coach station was the one who took her, me and a paramedic to A&E.

After assessment in A&E she will be transferred to the Acute Medical Unit before going to St. Ann's in Poole, or once to the Forston Clinic outside Dorchester, as was the case back in January. I've mentioned elsewhere how she spent four days in a side room in Bournemouth AMU where she wasn't washed, didn't change her clothes and was wearing a five day old sanitary towel. She was in no condition to help herself and on an almost empty ward none of our heroic NHS staff could be arsed to help her. I was only able to visit her on her last day there because of COVID restrictions, and I have to wonder what other inappropriate behaviour they got away with using that excuse. Her next stay was at Poole AMU, and again she was in a side room, and had a nurse sat with her 24/7. Poole hospital were bloody wonderful. Her last stay was at Bournemouth AMU and this time I read the lazy bastards the riot act when she was admitted.

She was admitted to St. Ann's from Poole at midnight on a Friday. At 1100 on Saturday our lass phoned me from St. Ann's. "Can you bring my meds in?" "Why?" "They don't have any."
She put me on to a nurse who told me that they didn't have her meds in the cupboard and that the pharmacy was closed on a weekend. So yes, I had to head over to a hospital that doesn't do medication on a weekend.

Write the book. It's the only way things are going to change.

£140bn(+) a year in budgetary expenditure - remind why folks were clapping the 'untouchables' again?
I certainly wasn't. I may have been shouting "Fxxx the NHS!", or perhaps "Fix the NHS!" if you want to be polite, but as I said to a friend at the time, I'd rather clap for Hitler, he's killed fewer members of my family than the NHS.

The police have been great, and I've posted elsewhere that I support the idea of "Re-fund the Police" in that they should in part be funded by the NHS budget, and that this should be extra money for them. But when I mention to the police that the Connections Team say that they can Section our lass on the street (s 136, apparently) they say that they don't or can't do that.

One of the other problems that I have encountered is communication with the hospital. In both Forston and St. Ann's doctors are quite rare on the ground, and psychiatrists are like hens teeth. So you have to talk to nurses. And to make sure that something is actually recorded you have to speak to about half a dozen nurses in the hope that something is actually recorded. It can be like banging your head against a brick wall sometimes.

And because of COVID restrictions only one visitor is allowed on the ward at any one time, for a maximum of one hour. So if I have any concerns I have to leave after an hour and then phone the ward from outside the hospital to speak to a nurse. They are not always guaranteed to pick up the phone. One day our lass phoned me at home at 1010. I was concerned and immediately phoned the ward. No answer. By 1130 I phoned the main hospital number. Their response? "We've been trying to get through to them for the last hour but no one is picking up. They must all be in a meeting." Reception is 70 yards from the ward, yet no one went over to check. I finally managed to get a response at 1200.

Write the book. It's the only way things are going to change.
Not enough material for a book, although she could probably be a chapter in a compilation book. I couldn't write everything anyway as our former employer would need to be included for various reasons and unfortunately I signed an agreement not to slag them off when I was made redundant.

Not enough material for a book, although she could probably be a chapter in a compilation book. I couldn't write everything anyway as our former employer would need to be included for various reasons and unfortunately I signed an agreement not to slag them off when I was made redundant.

I would assume that you were appropriately compensated in exchange for non-disclosure?

There are sites, blogs, YouTube vids, etc. about the crap state of the 'mental health' industry, and a deluge of ass-covering pointers to helplines. Not to mention the endless pretense of 'raising awareness' to make it look like something is being done. An actual well-written book would give you and yours a voice that might just cause the right people to actually listen.

Sadly Mental Health Services are the poor relation in the NHS.
A good example is the London Boroughs of Sutton/Merton/Wandsworth/Richmond & Kingston all had back in the 1990's their own mental health units. Now all amalgamated to one site in Tooting. Anyone who knows Springfield Hospital knows it in an awful place to visit and they say its progress - the NHS is NOT run by doctors anymore but by accountants and bean counters trying to hit targets.

The NHS should be run by those that know how to and not by 1D 10 T managers.

Note:
This is only my view from being an SHO in the area & having friends who are doctors in the said areas still.

Theres nothing wrong with having managers manage, but that’s only if they are managers capable of managing.

Do you think being a Doctor automatically makes you a good manager or leader?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Theres nothing wrong with having managers manage, but that’s only if they are managers capable of managing.

Do you think being a Doctor automatically makes you a good manager or leader?

Doctors, as healthcare professionals, should certainly have most of the say in terms of how a hospital is run. Managers can then, presumably, manage it.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Apologies if I've misunderstood, I assumed Ex Observer was referring to a daughter rather than partner.

wheel

LE
You could try making a complaint at the link below, but please be aware it is not secure. Probably to put complainants off using it.
Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust: Making a Complaint

Latest Threads