Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depression and Other Mental Health Issues

Really bad evening: sad attack, fear and anxiety. Missus gets her axe out, ten minutes of Hey Nonny Nonny and I'm away with the pixies. Two hours later? Fine. Now wideawake at 2am+. Thank god for Mr Bell.

Really bad evening: sad attack, fear and anxiety. Missus gets her axe out, ten minutes of Hey Nonny Nonny and I'm away with the pixies. Two hours later? Fine. Now wideawake at 2am+. Thank god for Mr Bell.
It takes a while to adjust to loss. I suppose I was expecting it so I had the benefit of forewarning. Yes there were some tears for a moment, followed by exhaustion and a sort of emotional numbness. Compartmentalisation and tasking worked when going through clothes and stuff for disposal. There were and often are daily reminders but it gets better.

At some point it seemed it wasn't daily. Then the past was the past rather than hours, weeks or months ago. Life goes on. What's done is done. Those thoughts of did I do enough, was there anything else I should have done?, they no longer matter. I had no training for it.

In a perfect world everything would be perfect and parents, family and friends wouldn't die but they do. If there is a parallel universe, maybe our other selves made better or worse decisions. There were questions I had wanted to ask, stories perhaps to record. Some questions will never be answered. One thing we have to do is let go. Loss can't be reversed. It marks an endpoint in a shared timeline, shared events through good times and bad times, when we somehow got through, whether under the same roof or far apart.

There is still a lot to go through, photos and so on. I was initially wary of looking through those but time can bring a certain amount of emotional detachment.

Last edited:
Has anyone else changed from Sertraline to Citalopram? and was there a cooling off period before starting Citalopram.

I asked my Dr via a letter if I could change because since going up to 100mg of Sertraline 6 months ago I've had ongoing side effects.

After having no reply from my Dr. I went to get my monthly prescription for Sertraline the other day and was shocked to be given Citalopram.

No notification of what to do, so I assume I just stop the Sertraline and start the Citalopram :?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
2pm to 3pm on LBC, Maajid Nawaz discussing psilocyben (found in magic mushrooms), treatment of depression and possible reclassification of the drug. Important to add, as previously posted, that clinical trials have been using specific extracts and that studies are ongoing.

ETA https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(16)30065-7/fulltext

LBC

I didn't catch the programme, so I may be speaking from an ill-informed viewpoint, but do you have any thoughts about the benefits or otherwise of such substances? It seems odd to me, given that hallucinogens and suchlike can sometimes be the cause of mental health problems in the first place!

I personally would give them a wide berth.

I didn't catch the programme, so I may be speaking from an ill-informed viewpoint, but do you have any thoughts about the benefits or otherwise of such substances? It seems odd to me, given that hallucinogens and suchlike can sometimes be the cause of mental health problems in the first place!

The candidates for the trials are first assessed for potential vulnerability to psychosis and other mental issues that may risk being triggered. They strongly advise against self medication. My take on it is that it is a potentially exciting development that offers hope for the possibly near future but there are legal obstacles to be overcome and many more tests. Possession is currently an imprisonable offence. Underground "remedies" would be of unknown origin and unknown side effects. One comment was that big pharma can't patent it so may be less interested in producing it.

Haven't found anything on YouTube yet. Here is a short clip from Twitter:

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

"Got depression and/or PTSD ?
Paranoia ?
We recommend you graze this fungus which will help you visualise psychedelic multi-armed demons, all wearing your neighbour's face and that chase you round your tenth floor flat."

What could possibly go wrong ?

The candidates for the trials are first assessed for potential vulnerability to psychosis and other mental issues that may risk being triggered. They strongly advise against self medication. My take on it is that it is a potentially exciting development that offers hope for the possibly near future but there are legal obstacles to be overcome and many more tests. Possession is currently an imprisonable offence. Underground "remedies" would be of unknown origin and unknown side effects. One comment was that big pharma can't patent it so may be less interested in producing it.

Haven't found anything on YouTube yet. Here is a short clip from Twitter:

Khat consumption could explain why Somalia and Yemen are shitholes though in comparison to alcohol consuming Western countries.

I’ve just qualified as a Mental Health First Aider. Really good online course, although had to remember not to say in first day introductions, “I’m Plume & I’m an alcoholic.” ;)

I’d strongly recommend that anyone with an interest in this field, especially those who have staff welfare as part of their brief, consider doing it. More here on the MHFA England website.

I’ve just qualified as a Mental Health First Aider. Really good online course, although had to remember not to say in first day introductions, “I’m Plume & I’m an alcoholic.” ;)

I’d strongly recommend that anyone with an interest in this field, especially those who have staff welfare as part of their brief, consider doing it. More here on the MHFA England website.

Forgive me if I've missed it - course cost? I can see it says "valued at", does that equate to the final course cost?

Forgive me if I've missed it - course cost? I can see it says "valued at", does that equate to the final course cost?

I had a special discount. I think it normally costs £275 for the four half-days (with homework on top) & the course materials. Well worth getting an employer to fund if possible, one of the things that is delivered is a strategy for rolling out mental health programmes in the workplace.

Also meant to show this. Free app that allows anyone with MH issues, or supporting someone who has them, to find services & support groups local to them.

60A7C733-D512-4091-A3DA-CBF30F63EF7E.png

Also meant to show this. Free app that allows anyone with MH issues, or supporting someone who has them, to find services & support groups local to them.

View attachment 501161
I gave that a highly inappropriate funny because if you have a mental health problem here in Dorset outside of office hours you're buggered.

Our lass had yet another psychotic episode last Monday just four days after being discharged from hospital. After spending most of the night on the phone to the Connections team (the dedicated out of hours mental health team in Dorset) she eventually did a runner. She was outside in the pissing down rain but because she didn't actually go "missing" the police didn't want to know, despite the Connections team saying phone the police. I then phoned for an ambulance but because she thought that it was a fake ambulance she wouldn't get in. I was then met with the unedifying scene of the paramedic phoning the Connections team and being asked if HE could phone back when the Home Treatment Team got in at 8.30am!

Eventually an ambulance car and a police van turned up and we got her to hospital in the police van. The police woman said "I know you" to which I replied, "You picked us up from Bournemouth bus station and took us to hospital back in January." Well you have to find some humour in it.

Last edited:
Sounds a difficult situation. I’ve been helping a mate today who can’t get anything out of the National Covid Service, & that’s in a busy bit of the Home Counties.

Hub of Hope does include voluntary services/groups as well AIUI...

Sounds a bit grim, I hope she's soon on the mend. Out of interest, what do the hospital actually do for her?
Mix and match on the meds basically and a place of safety. When she is unwell she has a tendency to run so the mental hospital is somewhere that is supposed to be secure. In the past she has escaped twice from the Royal Bournemouth Hospital and on this occasion she went for the hat trick - she kneed me in the balls and ran out while I was doubled over. The nurses stopped her at the bus stop outside the hospital.

( oral ) Morphine works for depression , a dose gives you a couple of hours break from the negative thoughts and anxiety into a warm cozy feeling with a big smile on your face, it gives you a bit of time out from the relentless hell, I've taken it, but there's no way to escape being addicted to it so you end up much worse off.

Took me about 12 months for my brain to stop thinking about getting more of it by any means possible, scary stuff .

Has anyone else changed from Sertraline to Citalopram? and was there a cooling off period before starting Citalopram.

I asked my Dr via a letter if I could change because since going up to 100mg of Sertraline 6 months ago I've had ongoing side effects.

After having no reply from my Dr. I went to get my monthly prescription for Sertraline the other day and was shocked to be given Citalopram.

No notification of what to do, so I assume I just stop the Sertraline and start the Citalopram :?
I went from Citalopram to Fluoxetine and was much happier. I switched immediately without any ill effect, though I had only been on citalopram for a few weeks and just knew quickly it wasn't right for me.

I went from Citalopram to Fluoxetine and was much happier. I switched immediately without any ill effect, though I had only been on citalopram for a few weeks and just knew quickly it wasn't right for me.

I've been on Citalopram for about 10 weeks now and still having the same issues as on Setraline (piles and irregular bowels)

I've also for the last week been having episodes of phantom smells. (cigarette smoke). Not sure if that's the meds fooking about with my head, or my rhinitis stepping up a gear.

I found Sertraline made me nauseaus and screwed my bowels up. Citalopram has made a massive difference to my moods and I sleep better than I ever have, although the dreams can be a bit wayward.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

For those who don't know, our lass has been in hospital since the start of June. She has been discharged twice, but was readmitted after eight and four days respectively. She has had a longstanding diagnosis of depression with psychotic episodes but this has recently been changed to something that I'm not prepared to discuss yet.

Her oldest friend said that I could write a book about our experiences so here are a few of the completely true things that have happened over the last four months.

Dorset has an out of hours helpline for people who have mental health problems called the Connections Team. They aren't very good. The first time that I had dealings with them they advised her to drink hot milk and honey to help her sleep. That obviously didn't work and the police picked her up at Bournemouth coach station.

There was the time when she was having an episode outside and the Connections team were on the point of sending the police to Section her on the street. However when I finally managed to persuade her to go home they accused her of care seeking and put the phone down on her. She did another runner and ended up at the police station. The police took her to a friend's house and a few hours later they called an ambulance.

The most recent one involved being on the phone to the Connections Team half the night. At 0715 she ran out of the flat and they told me to phone the police. I did but they weren't interested as she was just standing outside so I phoned for an ambulance. The ambulance arrived at 0745 and she refused to get in as she thought it was a fake ambulance. The ambulance phoned the Connections Team and they said, and I kid you not, can you phone back after 0830 when the Home Treatment Team get in? It was a Friday morning, pissing down with rain, and a one way street with lots of parked cars and nowhere for traffic to get past the ambulance. The ambulance crew phoned the police and the WPC who had picked her up from Bournemouth coach station was the one who took her, me and a paramedic to A&E.

After assessment in A&E she will be transferred to the Acute Medical Unit before going to St. Ann's in Poole, or once to the Forston Clinic outside Dorchester, as was the case back in January. I've mentioned elsewhere how she spent four days in a side room in Bournemouth AMU where she wasn't washed, didn't change her clothes and was wearing a five day old sanitary towel. She was in no condition to help herself and on an almost empty ward none of our heroic NHS staff could be arsed to help her. I was only able to visit her on her last day there because of COVID restrictions, and I have to wonder what other inappropriate behaviour they got away with using that excuse. Her next stay was at Poole AMU, and again she was in a side room, and had a nurse sat with her 24/7. Poole hospital were bloody wonderful. Her last stay was at Bournemouth AMU and this time I read the lazy bastards the riot act when she was admitted.

She was admitted to St. Ann's from Poole at midnight on a Friday. At 1100 on Saturday our lass phoned me from St. Ann's. "Can you bring my meds in?" "Why?" "They don't have any."
She put me on to a nurse who told me that they didn't have her meds in the cupboard and that the pharmacy was closed on a weekend. So yes, I had to head over to a hospital that doesn't do medication on a weekend.

Latest Threads