Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depression and Other Mental Health Issues

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Well you're still here, and as long as you did't hurt yourself or others, I'd put that down as a victory over your demons.

Little victories. ;)

Aye I'm still here (and thanks for your comments). Trouble is, unless you tell the shrinks that you're a danger to yourself or others you slip through the net and they don't take it seriously. If you do tell them something like that you risk being sectioned.

I could write a book on this shit.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I've given up with tv. The only time it goes on now is to watch a movie on Prime, thanks to the new HD telly. Freeview is history, as is the MSM. Utterly depressing.

The missus has pricked up her guitar after a fifteen year hiatus, and is now playing catch up at a surprising rate. The evenings are now very relaxed with her renaissance loot music.

My other interests keep me sane. The bird feeders are busy, I'm researching and writing articles on history, I've started stamp collecting again as a pure time-killer, and I'll take the bike out for a run once a week.

I don't do Twatter or Facespace thankfully. Arrse keeps me informed and I've got shit-loads of whisky. I've had a few wobbles but generally I'm ok. My mother's funeral was a very simple affair. I'm glad she's out of it.

I moved from a rural environment nearly two years ago and now live on a housing estate. I hate it, but it is what it is and it's not forever. I miss the dogs terribly, but they're country girls and they couldn't come with me. They're still on the farm and I stay in touch with 'mum'.

I'm glad you added the last paragraph, I was in two minds as to whether to enquire after Mrs Dog. Sorry if I've missed any news on that front...

Aye I'm still here (and thanks for your comments). Trouble is, unless you tell the shrinks that you're a danger to yourself or others you slip through the net and they don't take it seriously. If you do tell them something like that you risk being sectioned.

I could write a book on this shit.

Unfortunately, like a lot of the NHS, MH struggle for money, and are always fighting fires. Non of it is pro active, hence you have to be a danger before they will commit resources. As I'm sure you know anyway.

Without sounding funny, would it help to write a book?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I have the same feelings. If I'm in an electrical storm I get a bit tingly. I really like and respect the raw power of nature.

And there's nothing better after a heatwave (even if the bugger only actually lasted three days) than a massive meteorological spectacular to clear the air. I get tingly as soon as the wind picks up and I can smell the rain.

Very interesting. I had an uncle who used to go bonkers, and I mean off the deep end when there were electrical storms.

There is a weather pattern in Switzerland called "La Ferne" I think. Very low pressure weather in the mountains and it makes some people act very strangely. I've been told that an adverse response to La Ferne has been brought up in legal defence previously.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Without sounding funny, would it help to write a book?

I jot down notes all the time, on a variety of subjects, but usually find some other bugger has got there first.

For instance, I started on some writing about a year ago, for an amusing serial set in a mildly dystopian near future. The working title was "Mob Rule". I didn't know at the time that events would prove stranger than fiction!

I jot down notes all the time, on a variety of subjects, but usually find some other bugger has got there first.

For instance, I started on some writing about a year ago, for an amusing serial set in a mildly dystopian near future. The working title was "Mob Rule". I didn't know at the time that events would prove stranger than fiction!

Oh yes. Whats the old adage? The more enlightened you are, the crazier you sound.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh yes. Whats the old adage? The more enlightened you are, the crazier you sound.

I'd never heard that one, but I'd imagine it's one of those truisms that most people who've been around the block a few times understand, whereas "professionals" dont!

Ignorance IS bliss . As long the same lines.

Hence no TV news, newspapers, faceache etc.

99.9% of things on it don't affect you, it's just there to raise your blood pressure and to try and instil fear. If I do come across any on here, I ask "How does this affect me?", and then move on. Bliss!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Hence no TV news, newspapers, faceache etc.

99.9% of things on it don't affect you, it's just there to raise your blood pressure and to try and instil fear. If I do come across any on here, I ask "How does this affect me?", and then move on. Bliss!

Trouble is, as a self-employed music teacher who hasn't been able to work for three months, and no idea when I can get back to "normal", this shit DOES affect me. Apart from the obvious morons who risk everyone being put back to square one, I and my students have to work out a "safe" way of teaching.

Playing catch up since 5th, so my obs' on the last few pages.

One of my favourite sayings, is animal, vegetable or mineral? Humans tend to forget we are animals. I am fortunate to live in the country. I watch the animals, and they act differently depending on the time of day and weather.

For years, I thought I suffered with SAD, but to be honest, I think most of us do to an extent. I have had it chronic, where I can literally hibernate and not get out of bed for days. I always go on holiday in the winter to get some sun.

I have no doubt, but also no proof, that we are probably affected by the moon and waves etc. Certainly when the air is charged and storm like, we feel differently. Maybe we are more in touch with the earth than the average bod?

I am much better now than I was at the beginning of the year, and have been reading and researching. There is such such a thing as the Manopause! Who knew? I thought it was a joke.

I don't know if this has been causing issues too, but it's good to learn and understand a bit more anyway.

Trouble is, as a self-employed music teacher who hasn't been able to work for three months, and no idea when I can get back to "normal", this shit DOES affect me. Apart from the obvious morons who risk everyone being put back to square one, I and my students have to work out a "safe" way of teaching.

A friend teaches maths and English, and now does it via Zoom/Skype etc.
Is this an option for you, or does it have to be hands on?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
A friend teaches maths and English, and now does it via Zoom/Skype etc.
Is this an option for you, or does it have to be hands on?

I have taken advice from a couple of people and tried to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, but unfortunately didn't get any take-up from my most talented students as they apparently have other stuff to do. (Private music lessons are nearly always the first thing to fall by the wayside!)

I have taken advice from a couple of people and tried to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, but unfortunately didn't get any take-up from my most talented students as they apparently have other stuff to do. (Private music lessons are nearly always the first thing to fall by the wayside!)

Yeh I can understand. She usually has classes of 20-30, but only 5-6 are doing it online.

Having said that, with pubs and hairdressers opening back up, surely you can get back to one to one teaching in a safe environment?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeh I can understand. She usually has classes of 20-30, but only 5-6 are doing it online.

Having said that, with pubs and hairdressers opening back up, surely you can get back to one to one teaching in a safe environment?

Well the news last week gave me a glimmer of hope, insofar as "other households" are permitted to meet indoors, one household at a time.

Whether any of my students (some of whom are retired people with underlying health problems) take up on this I've yet to see ...

Playing catch up since 5th, so my obs' on the last few pages.

One of my favourite sayings, is animal, vegetable or mineral? Humans tend to forget we are animals. I am fortunate to live in the country. I watch the animals, and they act differently depending on the time of day and weather.

For years, I thought I suffered with SAD, but to be honest, I think most of us do to an extent. I have had it chronic, where I can literally hibernate and not get out of bed for days. I always go on holiday in the winter to get some sun.

I have no doubt, but also no proof, that we are probably affected by the moon and waves etc. Certainly when the air is charged and storm like, we feel differently. Maybe we are more in touch with the earth than the average bod?

I am much better now than I was at the beginning of the year, and have been reading and researching. There is such such a thing as the Manopause! Who knew? I thought it was a joke.

I don't know if this has been causing issues too, but it's good to learn and understand a bit more anyway.
I went onto testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in 2016. Original dosage way way too high, and had some interesting effects. Feeling like a randy teenager most of the time, erections at the most unfortunate times as well.

Dosage gets adjusted and I feel good, but start noticing weight gain. Consultant claims this doesn't happen and I should be losing weight. Weight goes up and up until I put on just shy of 4 stone.

My Dr starts complaining that they are struggling to get my BP under control. So she does some blood tests, only to find out that my blood is too thick and it could cause a heart attack or stroke. I couldn't go on warfarin because of the other meds I'm on.

The only solution was to stop the TRT as this was what was causing the thick blood. I'm just one of the unfortunates that gets side effects with TRT.

I went onto testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in 2016. Original dosage way way too high, and had some interesting effects. Feeling like a randy teenager most of the time, erections at the most unfortunate times as well.

Dosage gets adjusted and I feel good, but start noticing weight gain. Consultant claims this doesn't happen and I should be losing weight. Weight goes up and up until I put on just shy of 4 stone.

My Dr starts complaining that they are struggling to get my BP under control. So she does some blood tests, only to find out that my blood is too thick and it could cause a heart attack or stroke. I couldn't go on warfarin because of the other meds I'm on.

The only solution was to stop the TRT as this was what was causing the thick blood. I'm just one of the unfortunates that gets side effects with TRT.
Never knew about those side effects. Wildcard suggestion. Diet. Parsnips and celery.
Healthfully

Latest Threads