Depression and Other Mental Health Issues

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s an antipsychotic, one of the newer ones. They’re all a group of quite strong major tranquillisers.

Bingo!

So an "antipsychotic" can still be a "major tranquiliser"?

Odd how the first thing you read if you google Olanzapine is the fact that it is the dog's bollox new modern antipsychotic, but trifluoperazine is still much safer, you can give it to younger people, it has fewer side effects etc. etc....

Also, how can this "tranquilizer" have side effects which mimic both "uppers" and "downers" at the same time?
(ETA: or maybe that is not the drug but something else?)

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
PS. Would you also agree that Sertraline (anti depressant) should not be used ALONE (i.e. without a type of antipsychotic/tranquiliser), if one is veering towards a "manic" episode?

Anyone had any experience of Olanzapine?
Either taking the stuff or prescribing it?
This may be one for @jarrod248
It’s an antipsychotic, one of the newer ones. They’re all a group of quite strong major tranquillisers.
Lower part of Premier League Sheff. Utd/Watford ish, keeps the thug out of young thug quiet (when efficacious), and sometime the Up part of BiPolar but turns one into a bit of a Bloater, either way. Yukkan gettit in Velos. Not bad overall. Nice Purple cups. Speaking of which, are you a Bloater already @StBob072? . . .

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Lower part of Premier League Sheff. Utd/Watford ish, keeps the thug out of young thug quiet (when efficacious), and sometime the Up part of BiPolar but turns one into a bit of a Bloater, either way. Yukkan gettit in Velos. Not bad overall. Nice Purple cups. Speaking of which, are you a Bloater already @StBob072? . . .

Bloody hell carrot. One whiff of a major tranquiliser and here you are, like Pavlov's dog. :-D

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
PS. My weight has been a steady 70kg for over six months thank you. :kiss:

I've had depression in the past, however on Wednesday evening after having a shower I was sat on the edge of the bed when I was overwhelmed by a strange sensation of deep despair and sadness.
It was as if I had been wrapped in a dark heavy blanket?

The sensation passed after a few minutes but it was really very strange.
If it's any consolation, you're not alone in that.

I came off the 'Tazers' after about 20 years as well, off and on, about 2 years ago. There's no point in getting in to the individual up and downs of the drug, as all people are different. It's a pretty safe drug considering and is very good for those with treatment resistant, or non-treatable depression. My depression is not treatable, but I did find they helped a significant amount with regulating sleep patterns. I think Mirtazapine is a wonder drug. It really helped me out a lot. If anyone is finding that the SSRI's don't work, ask your doc to give you a go on that. The sedation wears off after a few days.

Little note about them, because of the way they act, if you take a lower dose it makes you more sedated (it works more on the Histamine receptors so makes you drowsy), but if you take a higher dose, it makes you more alert - not speeding - just more with it (as it works more on the Noradrenaline bits). So if you are still tired after a week or two, then take a higher dose, if you need bringing down, and find you need more sedation, take a lower dose. Don't drink with them as they really knock you out with alcohol.

They are different to SSRI's and they are tried and tested so if you ask for them your doctor will almost certainly give you a go on them, especially if you have not responded to several SSRI's.

SSRI's are pretty much a likeness. And if you aren't getting what you want after your 3rd or 4th one, then it's time to look at other treatments. Mirtazapine is about as safe as it gets and it acts just about straight away, and over a course of a week or so, you should be stabilised.

The good thing with them is they don't alter your thinking, except for making you more 'sharp' even though they sedate you and bring you down. Some class them as a nootropic, and I found that to be the case. Nootropic - Wikipedia

I would get massive amounts of work done on them. They were good for me. They didn't help with my depression but they helped me function. It was only my falling out with my doctor that made me stop taking them. I tried to get another doctor but they wouldn't give me an appointment even though I said I was suicidal. 2 years late I still don't have a doctor and my physical and chronic ill health has not been treated.

Ironically, my body seems to have righted itself physically. I no longer have such crippling stomach pains and joint pains. But I do have neuro stuff that needs looking at.

The thing is, I'm a trainwreck. I'm not going to get the help I need from the NHS and I daren't ever go near their mental health services again. It's just about cost me my life. They pushed me over the edge at the most vulnerable time in my life. They have power and they are untouchable. They don't have to take responsibility for their actions. I will not deal with them ever again even if it means death.

Any good work that the Mirtazapine did, was quickly undone by sadistic CPNs and incompetent therapists.

I feel like I need a holiday. Perhaps a couple of weeks on Heroin, but even that is not the answer. I absolutely cained the left over Morphine and Codeine and it didn't touch the sides. It made me functional and that was good - this was at LD50 doses that might have put others in to a coma or respiratory failure.

I've been battling for years now. My doctor knows all about my detailed plans for suicide. Yeah, good luck with that. Like she gives a shit. She'd be happy if I did it.

I recently managed to heal myself. I was doing really well. Getting up in the morning. Looking in to doing that voluntary work I've been trying to get in to for the last few years. I was getting through. Then my bank closed my account down, I had my phone cut off, I could not pay bills, it cost me thousands of pounds which I won't get back. They won't say why they did it.

Again, raped by another powerful institution. Every time I get back on my feet. No drinking for 2-3 months. Functioning when I have severe C-PTSD. And no reason for it. Nothing personal. It's just what banks do.

They wouldn't even let me pay off my credit card or overdraft. But of course the amount adds up and I will have to pay it eventually. It's a sick spiteful trick meant to cause distress. I told them I was suicidal, I begged them to just give me a phone call. I don't owe any money. I pay all my bills. I still don't know why they did. Phone cut off so I couldn't pay other bills. It's been the worst time of my life. Suicidal after my brother's death, then given a beasting for no reason by my bank after 30 years.

I spend my days with chronic anxiety and depression of the major kind. I've not had a psychotic break yet but I've come close. Major depression is the worst depression there is - it's the most life-threatening. It has the highest rate of suicide I believe. On top of that I'm diagnosed as HFA - high functioning autistic - yeah you didn't think I was normal did you? :) and that means, statistically I am 10 times more likely to commit suicide. It's pretty common. So PTSD, Major depression and HFA, then getting your bank account shut down for no reason and unable to pay bills.

Its' important to me to stay on top of that shit because when it slides, it really slides. I've always paid my bills, I don't owe money to anyone. I find the whole experience has been rather sadistic. I feel brutalised. I was in a bad way before, but I was not prepared for this recent attack by my bank. I've recently got another bank account and am getting back on my feet. I have money - I live within my means.

But I'm a nobody at the end of the day. My parents are in a bad way and just about to go in to some sheltered accomadation if they can. But there is good news there too - my step dad is able to move himself off the bed on to his chair and they may be able to do away with the awful intrusion that is the carers. Bless 'em. Most of them are wonderful, rare creatures. A job that does not get enough respect, and all at minimum wage.

Some people just reach a level of complexity in their life that they can not cope with. NO one could cope with what I have to deal with, without feeling some kind of strain. But I know others have it far worse. You won't find any self-pity here. And it is with these other people, those worse off than me, that I hope to find some kind of meaning in life.

I do realise I am ranting by the way. I'm not self-unaware. I take the view that most will just scroll past, and the very few that are interested might skim my wall of text and glean whatever they can.

I'm not even needy. Today, I looked at the facts. It doesn't get better for me from here. I need to sort this out as soon as possible. I need to get my affairs in order.

These dark words might seem quite in contrast to my other posts, and they are. But my mind and body runs away with itself. There is no one to reign me in. The drink makes it worse, or better, depending. I know I need to totally stop, but I'm on a rollercoaster. Where as before I was regulated by things like Mirtazapine, now I have nothing. I don't smoke, don't do weed, don't do any drug at all. My days are spent pretty much stone cold sober. Till the odd binge, which comes crashing down after a few days.

I know what I am. I know I've failed. But I'm ok with it. I'm happy to take responsibility. But I can find no society where I live. Only druggy scumbags on one side of the fence and i'm allright jack up yours mateys on the other side. And those in the middle, the church, the doctors, the social services, those paid to care and to pretend to care, well, they just add more fuel to the fire.

There is nothing I can do. I am trapped. There is only one way out.

I was doing so well. I have people who I can make their lives better. But I am crippled. I've worked so hard to get to where I am. I have such a rare skill set. Just waiting to give and burst out in to the world, to help, to make others' lives better. But no....

No doctor for me, no bank account, no phone, no way to pay the ******* bills, can't even pay off my ******* credit card and overdraft when I walk in to the bank with a bag full of cash.

God, society today is brutal. I've no criminal record, no debts (that aren't being paid like my CC).

One day this will be over. And then I can go back to grieving for my brother. It took me nearly a year to cry. The only thing that kept me sane the other day after my bank closing my account was me slashing my arms with a knife. It felt good. It released the pain. I didn't make too much of a mess. I cleaned the knife beforehand. It's been 20 years since I did that. Only the second time in my life.

The social contract has been broken. Why should I behave myself? Why shouldn't I run amok and cause havok?

I guess I'm just one of those people. I want to take my frustrations out on those that deserve it and not innocent bystanders.

At some point I'd like to make a difference for the good. Help people who need it. No, I never served or saw some of the horrors that many of you have, but I've had my own nightmares and been failed by the same system. Well, I hope some of you make use of the facilities you have at hand - they are much better than what a civvy can get on the bad joke that is the NHS.

My crippled step father who was told he just had to rot and die in bed and would not be given physio on the nhs (even though it was the nhs that crippled him) - who just started getting a bit mobile again (he'll never walk again - but getting in to a chair is a good start) - he got very depressed, started crying.

My mum phoned the same people in the mental health services who 'raped' me, and I told her 'you will be sorry'. A week later she is raging: 'yeah you were right - an hour phone call to just say you aren't going to kill yourself or anyone else'... then 'a meeting for an hour to just say you aren't going to kill yourself or anyone else'... then 'see you in six weeks for a 20 minute session'.

This is without them answering the phone. The utter piss taking cnuts.

My life is lost. It's all about the battle now. I'd like to see these cnuts brought down and taken out and culled. By that I don't mean violence, I mean people losing their jobs, and their institutiion being wiped out. A man can dream can't he?

But no, instead they will send the police around to knock your ******* doors in and those of your neighbours.

This isn't a war a vulnerable person can win.

I've been very humbled lately. Humiliated, yes. That too.

There is no help from society. Not from doctors, therapists, not even from your bank that cuts off your cash supply so you can't even pay your bills.

No one to turn to. No one to help.

It's all good.

====================

mad_mick

You know what is best for you. You know what you need and what makes you feel good.

Keep chipping away at it. It's a long road. But it's doable. So many people in this life with really really bad insurmountable problems. Lots of people to take inspiration from. No room for self-pity (not accusing you of that, just saying).

Thanks for letting me rant. Sorry for another bloater of a post. I've gone and done it this time for sure. I love the humour around here (yeah I know I'm not very witty myself, but there you go) and I love the honesty. I already owe this site a great debt of gratitude.

As always, if there's anything I can do for you, then just ask. If it's within my power...

I'm going to go back to not drinking, eating well, exercising, pursuing noble things like gazing at the stars, making music, and maybe eventually helping others.

I just can't understand this society.

I'm here now, ready, willing and able, to help others. Computer problems, getting on the internet, shopping for food, cooking food, sitting down and taking notes and setting up websites so some can provide a bit of history for the future generations. Mowing the lawn, fixing up the the drainpipes, and all at no charge...

But it's not that easy is it?

Society won't allow me to do that. The one thing that might heal me. To help others.

I think that's probably enough.
Have you tried the Post Office? I remember them providing a 'banking' service not too many years ago, where the customer could register a current account and a chip-and-pin card that works with any ATM.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Bingo!

So an "antipsychotic" can still be a "major tranquiliser"?

Odd how the first thing you read if you google Olanzapine is the fact that it is the dog's bollox new modern antipsychotic, but trifluoperazine is still much safer, you can give it to younger people, it has fewer side effects etc. etc....

Also, how can this "tranquilizer" have side effects which mimic both "uppers" and "downers" at the same time?
(ETA: or maybe that is not the drug but something else?)
Major tranquillisers can also be called antipsychotics. Drugs may have side effects, they may not.
There’s nothing wrong with Trifluoperazine other than its old and side effect profile may be better with newer drugs.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
PS. Would you also agree that Sertraline (anti depressant) should not be used ALONE (i.e. without a type of antipsychotic/tranquiliser), if one is veering towards a "manic" episode?
Hard to say without assessment of the patient. Some may need other medication, others not. Some benefit from antipsychotics, tranquillisers, epilepsy drugs or Lithium.

I've had depression in the past, however on Wednesday evening after having a shower I was sat on the edge of the bed when I was overwhelmed by a strange sensation of deep despair and sadness.
It was as if I had been wrapped in a dark heavy blanket?

The sensation passed after a few minutes but it was really very strange.
Its called EastEnders.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Another one for J.

@jarrod248 perhaps this is an odd question, but could any of the above mentioned drugs exacerbate or bring about symptoms similar to rheumatoid arthritis ?
Cheers in advance.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Such strong drugs can have just about any possible side effect.

Thank you. My case against Kingston Hospital is almost complete.

My gloom cloud is back

:(
Join the club.
I had a security guard spit at me at the Royal Gwent Hospital on Wednesday, his body cam shows me having an argument with him and gripping him by the arm(gripping bit AFTER he spat at me)

He's made a formal complaint of assault to the Police against myself, I've done the same in regards to him spitting at me. There's now also a formal investigation into the situation in work.

I've been fine for ages, but now I feel lower than a low thing, to the extent that I've been really tearful and just feel lost and alone. The security guy is an Asian lad who's apparently got a piss poor attitude towards people working in the hospital. A minor spat has snowballed out of all proportion and is really affecting me.

Join the club.
I had a security guard spit at me at the Royal Gwent Hospital on Wednesday, his body cam shows me having an argument with him and gripping him by the arm(gripping bit AFTER he spat at me)

He's made a formal complaint of assault to the Police against myself, I've done the same in regards to him spitting at me. There's now also a formal investigation into the situation in work.

I've been fine for ages, but now I feel lower than a low thing, to the extent that I've been really tearful and just feel lost and alone. The security guy is an Asian lad who's apparently got a piss poor attitude towards people working in the hospital. A minor spat has snowballed out of all proportion and is really affecting me.
Hopefully it will end well for you and the affects of this ordeal will subside in short order. I had to read your post twice because I couldn’t believe someone acting as security for a hospital of all places would behave in such a pathetic manner. He’s lucky all you did was grip his arm, not sure I could show such restraint if anyone spat on me, hope he is guided to find another line of work.

Hopefully it will end well for you and the affects of this ordeal will subside in short order. I had to read your post twice because I couldn’t believe someone acting as security for a hospital of all places would behave in such a pathetic manner. He’s lucky all you did was grip his arm, not sure I could show such restraint if anyone spat on me, hope he is guided to find another line of work.
Yeah. His body camera was on and he was mouthing the words "**** off " at me so it's not picked up on the audio. The dirty little shit spat a jet of saliva through his teeth at me. Camera wouldn't have picked that up either.

I'm uniformed NHS staff myself, if he behaves like that towards me , What's he doing to the general public?

It's really knocked it out of me, something so small has had a massive detrimental effect on me.

arfah

LE
Join the club.

If it’s on camera you will be okay as there was provocation.
I’m sure there will be character witnesses who will testify in your favour, too.
Have you kept the DNA of his saliva? That would help.

I’ve had false allegations made against me in the past which resulted in me being suspended. It really does knock you back!

Yeah. His body camera was on and he was mouthing the words "**** off " at me so it's not picked up on the audio. The dirty little shit spat a jet of saliva through his teeth at me. Camera wouldn't have picked that up either.

I'm uniformed NHS staff myself, if he behaves like that towards me , What's he doing to the general public?

It's really knocked it out of me, something so small has had a massive detrimental effect on me.
I wouldn't minimize it, this isn't something that is acceptable, he behaved like an animal and knew exactly what he was doing. For him to avoid his end being observed he obviously has done it before, your concern about past behavior towards others is well founded.

Last edited:

Latest Threads