Depression and Other Mental Health Issues

Whilst in hospital recently, and because my whole life/marriage is on the rocks I was feeling genuinely suicidal and the hospital referred me to the in-house Mental House team. They rocked up to my bedside, I told them my tales of woe and their response, and this is from the bods who are supposed to make me feel better, was "yes you're right, your situation is very grim".... At least it made me laugh.

But then it got worse. One evening after receiving yet more bad news from the Bitch I Still Love, I was particularly glum and the nurses, seeing me examining the window locks (fourth floor), called out the Mental medics again. The bint that arrived was very soothing and casually asked for the phone number of my parents, stating that she wouldn't call it and it was just for her records. She then, immediately, walked out into the corridor to the nurse's station........ and called my parents...

If I knew her name, I'd have the bitch struck off.
Keep at it Awol. Get moved to a lower floor. My trigger is water, and wanting to enter it and not come back. I’ve tried hanging myself and it never worked.
Get on a ground floor room and laugh at yourself. Then shit on the floor and walk out of that shithouse. You are better than that. Do it.

Keep at it Awol. Get moved to a lower floor. My trigger is water, and wanting to enter it and not come back. I’ve tried hanging myself and it never worked.
Get on a ground floor room and laugh at yourself. Then shit on the floor and walk out of that shithouse. You are better than that. Do it.
I've been out of hospital for a few weeks now and staying with my sister.

Luckily (maybe) she lives in a bungalow.

I was prescribed it. Took one tablet when I got back from the Pharmacy - 15 minutes later I was unconscious on the floor. Parents said I just dropped on the spot. Taken to hospital and told to never ever take it again.
That’s bad. I started taking it (sertaline), felt awful, and stopped. I went back to my doctor and she said that it was normal. Carried on and now I have some good days. Some good days.
You have to see it in context. I never had that many good days, so a good day is better than most.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Redshift - I did just that. It made me feel worse to start. Stick with it, it’s a long game. In about eight weeks you may feel better.
Getting your head back won’t happen overnight mate. But you must fight the fight. Good luck mate.
Thank you - it's been just so weird with my emotions and everything. So I stopped it - guess have to stick with the program and try and see if it works. Drastically cut my appetite too and a few other things. Guessing it's just my body adjusting to new things,

Is it possible to have depression without the intense low mood? For the best part of a year I have been dealing with a highly stressful thing which has been constantly in my thoughts, and provoked anxiety and fear. Since December I have been on Citalopram, which has caused side effects like dizziness and getting very hot.

It has come to a head, and been resolved as much as possible, but after nearly a year of it and being actively dealing with it I just feel exhausted. No matter how much sleep I get I feel exhausted, and I have no will to do anything. My sense of knowing who I am has taken a big hit.
I would say yes from personal experience, my stressful experience has been ongoing for 18 months, though I have avoided medication. My symptoms are pretty much exactly what you have described.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'd like to keep mine thanks.

Although over the last few months I've developed a gap between the upper central incisors.

@Fang_Farrier is it possible this is down to grinding, clenching?
Too simple for a yes or no answer.

It depends upon a number of factors, periodontal(gum) health, relative positions and angle of teeth, mesial drift, the number of back teeth and a few others.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Apologies if this is off topic, but couldn't see a specific thread relating to "tension" as in jaw clenching, teeth grinding, neck and shoulders constantly clicking and making funny sounds.

I'm pretty sure this is related to psychological stress, but can things such as massage actually help the physical symptoms?
To expand on my previous short answer.

In terms of the jaw joint, which by it's locality can cause symptoms in pther nearby locations, then yes stress can cause problems. In fact am surprised it is not mentioned more on this thread.

The condition is called tempero-mandibular joint Dysfunction syndrome.
The TMJ is bascially your jaw joint, Between the temple of your head and the mandible, hence TMJ
Dysfunction basically means not working properly
Syndrome is bascialy a group of symptoms which consistently occur together, or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms

Whilst there can be some anatomical causes in some folk, for most the only clue we have is that they are under stress.

This stress leads to clenching of the muscles and teeth grinding (also kwown as bruxism), this can often happen at night during sleep so that the person awakes with a sore jaw, (with or without neck and shoulder pain if sufficiently bad). Usually bilateral, but often unilateral.

Indicators of it vary, but noticable to the lay person, sore jaw, headaches, painful muscles side of head, sore ear (just to location), clicking in jaw, noisies in jaw.
Noticable to persons partner, sound of teeth grinding at night, jaw clicking when eating
To dentist, wear facets on teeth, certain muscle groups tender to touch particularly the lateral pterygoid, deviation in jaw opening.

I see a fair few patients like this and find that they respond to conservative treatment, often a simple axplanation and awareness is enough, a switch to softer diet, (like any injured joint in your body, you rest it) no chewing gum, avoid excess wide opening yawning, too much talking. Hot/cold cycles with heat pads/ice packs on muscle masses.
Then there are jaw exercises, which can be recommended, usually these are very successful
Occasionally I will make a biteguard to wear overnight, these can be hard like a orthodontic brace or sofr like a rugby gum shield> They have a couple of functions, they provide a smooth surface so that when clenching occurs the jaw can move rather than be locked in place as the cusps of the molars do, they stretch the muscles giving more freeway space, and they prevent excess wear on the teeth by attrition
Very, very occasioanlly I refer to a physio for whatever voodoo magic they want to perform. I prefer them to use Ultrasound or TENS.

It is no co-incendence that the aurthor of this book

Is also co-author of one my favourite textbooks

I apologise if this post rambles on. I've wanted to write something on here for months, it's just every time I write a post I end up deleting it as it all ways comes across as me being weak or a fraud.

I was diagnosed with depression in January 2018, after talking to my GP she sent me to have an assessment with the local LIFT people.

My first meeting/assessment was abysmal, the lady doing it was more interested in me not going over my allotted time (20min) even though this was my first visit. After doing all the paperwork she said I was depressed.

She kept checking her computer for her next appointment. She even cut me off mid sentence whilst I was trying to tell her about one of my triggers. I felt like ramming my pencil in her temple.

She started me on some CBT, now I don't know about anybody else but I just complete the CBT stuff in the way I think they want me to answer it. CBT just winds me up. Suffice to say I've not had any contact with any mental health practitioner since.

My daughter who also has mental heath issues told me the other day that her therapist reckons I've got PTSD! Now the thing is I don't get flashbacks about the few times I was in any real danger whilst serving, but I do get them regarding my marriage.

Even when I'm trying to use mindful techniques as soon as my mind clears episodes from my disastrous marriage spring into my head. I then spend the rest of my walk trying to put right the shit that happened 25yrs ago.

The problem is my daughters issues were caused by the marriage problems, so I blame myself for that too. I'm stuck in a perpetual regressive state of mind that's pushed away all my friends, and has been the reason I've been without a partner for 25yrs.

I could ramble on but I think that's enough for my (mental health) coming out post.

I apologise if this post rambles on. I've wanted to write something on here for months, it's just every time I write a post I end up deleting it as it all ways comes across as me being weak or a fraud.

I was diagnosed with depression in January 2018, after talking to my GP she sent me to have an assessment with the local LIFT people.

My first meeting/assessment was abysmal, the lady doing it was more interested in me not going over my allotted time (20min) even though this was my first visit. After doing all the paperwork she said I was depressed.

She kept checking her computer for her next appointment. She even cut me off mid sentence whilst I was trying to tell her about one of my triggers. I felt like ramming my pencil in her temple.

She started me on some CBT, now I don't know about anybody else but I just complete the CBT stuff in the way I think they want me to answer it. CBT just winds me up. Suffice to say I've not had any contact with any mental health practitioner since.

My daughter who also has mental heath issues told me the other day that her therapist reckons I've got PTSD! Now the thing is I don't get flashbacks about the few times I was in any real danger whilst serving, but I do get them regarding my marriage.

Even when I'm trying to use mindful techniques as soon as my mind clears episodes from my disastrous marriage spring into my head. I then spend the rest of my walk trying to put right the shit that happened 25yrs ago.

The problem is my daughters issues were caused by the marriage problems, so I blame myself for that too. I'm stuck in a perpetual regressive state of mind that's pushed away all my friends, and has been the reason I've been without a partner for 25yrs.

I could ramble on but I think that's enough for my (mental health) coming out post.

Iahhm, nothing weak or fraudulent about being ill. Although I'm not trained in any medical sense, I've a lot of experience in dealing with mental health. All three members of my family have been diagnosed, and been sectioned on more than half a dozen times, with bi-polar disorder. You've taken the proper steps in seeking medical advice.

CBT doesn't work for everyone, but if I may give you a tip. The answer they want to hear is what you know, not the one you think is right. Remember when computers came out and we were told the computer made a mistake? My answer was no it didn't. Someone either programmed it wrong, or put in the wrong information. If you "programme" the wrong information to whoever, then it won't help them help you. You don't have to know the answer and admit to this, but any answer you do give should be truthful. Should you believe the answer would embarrass you, they've probably heard stories that would embarrass some/most of us on here. Only you can decide to be truthful, or not know.

There are others on here with proper training. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Last edited:
Iahhm, nothing weak or fraudulent about being ill. Although I'm not trained in any medical sense, I've a lot of experience in dealing with mental health. All three members of my family have been diagnosed, and been sectioned on more than half a dozen times, with bi-polar disorder. You've taken the proper steps in seeking medical advice.

CBT doesn't work for everyone, but if I may give you a tip. The answer they want to hear is what you know, not the one you think is right. Remember when computers came out and we were told the computer made a mistake? My answer was no it didn't. Someone either programmed it wrong, or put in the wrong information. If you "programme" the wrong information to whoever, then it won't help them help you. You don't have to know the answer and admit to this, but any answer you do give should be truthful. Should you believe the answer would embarrass you, they've probably heard stories that would embarrass some/most of us on here. Only you can decide to be truthful, or not know.

There are others on here with proper training. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't think CBT is for me though, I've just spent 30mins reading through this lot
25 CBT Techniques and Worksheets for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and honestly I thought most of it was bollocks.

The 15 Cognitive Distortions were an eye opener. I can associate with all of them, which is rather worrying. I suppose it's a start though of sorts, so that's a positive.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't think CBT is for me though, I've just spent 30mins reading through this lot
25 CBT Techniques and Worksheets for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and honestly I thought most of it was bollocks.

The 15 Cognitive Distortions were an eye opener. I can associate with all of them, which is rather worrying. I suppose it's a start though of sorts, so that's a positive.

My bad. I've edited my #3,098. Where I've highlighted in red should read, "...not the one you think they want to hear."