Depression and Other Mental Health Issues

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Legs, Feb 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rather than totally mess up the Alcohol Abuse thread, I thought I'd start this one instead. Please don't see this as a 'look at me' thread, this is a serious issue and one that is often misread by non-sufferer.

I have suffered from Depression for many years. Every time I think I have beaten it, and that's the end of that. But no, it comes back. This time it is the worst episode ever. I am almost non-functional, to the extent that I am not able to work.

This is not a case of "chin up", "smile, it may never happen". To be honest, those phrases are almost certain to make a sufferer have to massively control themselves from beating the living daylights out of you. As well as the typical low mood and episodes of emotional breakdown, I have bouts of almost uncontrollable rage. At one point I wanted to kill someone and a friend saw the look in my eyes and extracted me from the situation - she seriously thought I was going to commit murder. I can't concentrate for more than a few minutes - so my OH won't let me cook when she's not home in case I burn the house down or injure myself. My short term memory is shot - I have to write everything I do down, or else I forget I've done it and my OH has to write everything I need to do each day in a diary, I have anxiety attacks. The other day I needed to go into a shop. Someone was walking towards me in the isle and we did the left-right-left-right dance. He chuckled and said sorry. I was a sweating, shaking, nauseous wreck - I had to get out and sit down.

So now I have been deemed unfit for work. I am seeing a Lt Col SMO and a Consultant Psychiatrist. They are settling in for the long haul I think. The difficult thing is not knowing. If I had a broken leg I know that in x weeks the cast comes off, in y weeks the physio starts and in about z weeks everything will be fine. Depression is not so clear cut. I am on Anti-Depressants, and slowly these are beginning to work. They are only a crutch though, not the cure.

Depression is a lonely existence. Many folk have been in touch from here, from Facebook and from the Real World offering help, support and advice, and I genuinely appreciate and thank them for that.

I am opening this up to you lot for your experiences so that I, and others may learn something.

• Like Like x 39
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 6
  2. Thanks for the PMs, I see that I am not the only one to suffer this condition. It is an odd comfort in this lonely existence.

• Like Like x 5
  3. You're not the only one, I remember taking the piss out of people with issues and them being called SSAFA cases.

Now I am one. Along with Combat Stress, RBL and various NHS agencies.

There are some things in life that you might be able to just shrug off at the time, especially on high tempo ops, but they will come back and bite you on the arse eventually, and when they do you will ******* know about it.

My Doc won't even let me have sleeping pills or anti-depressants because I've turned into Ord_Sgt's apprentice, as you can probably tell from most of the shite I post on here.

Every day is a ******* living nightmare at the moment and I have come close to topping myself a few times, if it wasn't for the fact I had my wife and kids around me I wouldn't be here now (no great loss I hear you say :))

But I won't give up just yet, there are people out there to help you, but it's just trying to help you cope with it, the memories will never go away

• Like Like x 16
  4. Good thread Legs. It may need to be moderated closely, otherwise an potentially beneficial thread will get crayoned on by idiots.

• Like Like x 26
  5. IMHO this is not the best idea for a thread. But what do I know. :)

What he said above.

6. I would like to contribute with this but would only be comfortable doing it via PM ~ but I'm new to this and I don't know how to do it!?! Sorry could someone help? Thick I know....

7. Click on someone's avatar, click send message.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I beg to differ, the more mental health problems are discussed the less stigma will be attached.

• Like Like x 56
  9. Ta, that was simple!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm fortunate to have never suffered from depression or the host of other debilitating illnesses out there. However, for 2 years I was with, and cared for, a person with depression. I watched her fight round after round of mania followed by depression. It was one of the most frightening things I've ever seen.

However, she got better. Drugs, therapy, family and friends - I don't know what it was that made the difference (I know it wasn't me), but something got through in the end.

Its a bloody awful thing to live with - but the key thing is to know that there is an answer out there - and to get through to that point any way you can.

Legs, and all the others - I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 6
  11. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I agree jarrod

I just get a little concerned that some prat is going to kick the arse out of a depression joke and it ends up as a cluster.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well let us hope they can be sensible, I'm sure most can moderate themselves.
    Please guys be helpful or keep quiet.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Legs, for 2 reasons do not think of your antidepressant as a crutch.

Firstly the antidepressant helps replace chemicals in your brain, this drug is lacking, so if your doctor suggested you took a vitamin or mineral supplement due to you being deficient of this substance would you see that as the vitamin being a crutch, no you would not, so don't think of the antidepressant as a crutch.

Secondly, what do you do with the elbow crutch, when your broken leg mends, you discard them and try to mobilise without them at earliest opportunity, you cannot do that with antidepressants, as even when they stabilise your mood it is necessary to continue with them for a while afterwards, a lot of people think great i'm feeling better i will stop the antidepressant, result return to depression.

Even Winston Churchill suffered from what he called his 'Black Dog'

Keep fighting it with the support/help of the professionals, your peers, family and friends

• Like Like x 13
  14. And besides that, people can decide themselves to post in an open forum or PM someone who strikes a chord with their own situation.

The more avenues and options open to people to help them through problems and lead a worthwhile life, the better. There is no common single solution.

• Like Like x 10
  15. One of the worst things for me is how unpredictable it is, i could be ok for months at a time , then, bam, wake up one day and its there again.

I dont think it ever truly leaves you

• Like Like x 6