"Depression" and my application to the army

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by ScottSummers, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

Sorry for the long post, hopefully I can get a little help and advice.

I was prescribed anti-depressants eight months ago by a locum doctor. At the time I was feeling stressed and sorry for myself.

I have applied to join the army as a Royal Engineer and noted the anti-depressants on my medical form.

I am now starting to worry that this my bar my entry to the army.

What do people think?

In the time I have taken these tablets I have started two small businesses and been a carer for a relative with alzheimers disease. I do not think I have ever suffered from depression, I just did what the Dr said thinking it could do no harm.

Never had suicidal feelings, never been unable to face the day and not had a day off sick. I have now stopped taking the tablets (Citalopram) with no ill effects.

Will I get a chance to explain things to the medical staff?

Should I write in support of my application and if so, where to?

I am starting to worry so all reply's will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. I can't say for certain but when you go to medical if you explain it saying that it wasn't needed then hopefully they will understand. Understand though that depression is something they really hate, understandably so, with lots of volatile substances and materials (ie guns + bombs) in easy reach.

Hopefully a Arrse medical expert can help you

3. I'd suggest keeping a stash of your anti depressants. You may discover (too late) that your depression will re-appear when you realise that the job doesn't actually work like the recruiter told you it would.

Have a look at the threads about how service and ex servicemen are treated by the wnakers (government) before you fully commit yourself

Medders

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Alternatively, talk to people who are still in and don't allow the de-recruiters on Arrse to put you off a career choice you have made yourself.

Be aware that recruiters DO lie to get the numbers up - if you think being prescribed happy pills by some jerk-off GP who couldn't be arrsed to talk to you about your issues is going to stop them hauling you through the door, jolly well lie back at 'em !

There are old and bold in every trade who will tell you not to make the same mistakes they did: my brother quit the Navy for much the same reason ( get out while you're still young mate' ) but I can guarantee his life would have taken a different path if he'd stuck it out for a couple of years.

I guess it's up to the individual to weigh up the options.

Best of luck with the Sappers anyway,

Don Cabra

5. Scottsummers read your PM

6. I believe 3 years until you are able to appy to join army after being prescribed anti depressents.

7. ScottSummers : thank you for courageously raising an importaant and vexatious subject.

I have known many soldiers of all ranks, including the very highest, whop have suffered from temporary and longterm depression and it really only enhanced their carers and their quality of service.

Depressives tend to be intelligent, creative persons, who react with sympathy to what goes on around them.

In your application and medical, be quite candid and frank about your mental health and pharmaceutical history, and press on regardles. You will most certainly nbot find depression a bar to service of the most valuable kind.

Best of good fortune to you!

8. :oops: :oops: :oops:
    And you have the temerity to question my grammar and spelling in other posts.

What was that about writing it out on a piece of paper once or twice. :)

9. Thanks for taking the time to reply Medman82.

I have read almost every page on arrse so am applying with eyes wide open.

All I want is to be a sapper and serve my contry. I am fully committed in mind, just need the body to get in.

All I have been promised is weight loss, running, challanges and oppourtunity by my recruiter.

I Hope things take a more positive turn for you.

10. Cheers for all the reply's people, much appreciated.

A three year deferral would be a nightmare as I am an old sod now.

I just hope I have the oppourtunity to explain my situation at a medical.

Thanks for the PM's also :D

Fingers and toes are crossed (makes running difficult), hoping that the start of my dream career is just approaching the horizon.

11. You will probably be deferred for between one and three years. If, after that time, there have been no further problems you will be allowed to join. The length of deferral will depend on the precise details of your particular case.

I am a little concerned at some of the comments made in the above thread. It is unwise and potentially dangerous to take medication such as anti-depressants that are not specifically prescribed for you by a Doctor who understands your current clinical state. This includes taking drugs which may have been prescribed for you in the past and have since sat in the back of the bathroom cabinet. It is also worth thinking very carefully about being "economical with the truth" regarding previous medical history during the recruitment process. At best this can lead to discharge as a fraudulent entry should your history come to light at a later date. In the worst case, people underestimate the differences between civilian and military life and the stresses involved in adjusting from one to the other. Whilst not getting in to the military can be a big disappointment for some people, precipitating a serious illness through failure to adjust can be life shattering.

12. [

There are old and bold in every trade who will tell you not to make the same mistakes they did: my brother quit the Navy for much the same reason ( get out while you're still young mate' ) but I can guarantee his life would have taken a different path if he'd stuck it out for a couple of years.

I left at 27 thinking the same. Start again whilst you're still young...... Should have stuck with it.
    Get a second oppinion re the depression (worth a private consultation). By the sounds of your circ's, it should help with your application.
    Good luck.

13. Neuroleptic, I would not dream of lying in anyway on my application. Honesty and integrity are essential qualities of a good soldier I would imagine?

Blindly following professional advice is something I will never do again. A quick google of "symptoms of depression" would of told me that feeling stressed and sorry for yourself are no reasons to start taking meds. I wonder if I am a victim of the modern phenomenom of passing "happy pills" to anybody who comes throught the surgery with a sad face?

By modern standards, all of my grandmothers generation (ww2) would be on anti-depressants!

SkiBum, great idea on the second opinion, I will do that.

Where would I send this information? Can I pass to my recruiter?

Thanks again everybody

14. Scott summers, You go for it mate. You are coming across as someone who has, and is still taking time to think about what you may be letting yourself in for.

Having had the priviledge(sp) of working with three different Engineer Regiments during my 22 years service I would agree with your recruiter that you will certainly be given plenty of challenge. I also agree with Neuroleptic's comments about the adjustment to Military lifestyles.

You mention that you are an "old sod", but the people that you enlist with will more than likely have an average age of around 20. Some of this age group find it VERY hard to become acustomed to the discipline side of the recruit training period.
    I wish you all the very best in your journey into the British Army, have fun and keep a sense of humour.

Medders