depressed sprogs

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by tracer, Dec 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I dont know if this is common throughout the corp, but what is the sudden fasination with going sick and claiming depression? While serving at a certain regiment in the north of england (not catterick), we had a spate of it. Maybe one problem was the fact that we had a civilian MO, who would bed you down with a sniffle! Perhaps a military MO would see straight through the bo**ocks, and tell these scrote bags to get back to work! if you look up depression on the net, one of the symptoms is 'losing or gaining weight', what the f**k is all that about! I think the problem is that while at blandford and tossing it off thinking about which 17 year old your going to ask to marry you next, these scrotes get told 'here you go son, your off to 3 div'. After visiting the padre and WRVS woman for a good cry, they pack there bags and set off for there first unit. On arrival, things are not what they seem, no cinema, burger bar, bowling alley, XL leisure and so on...........then to cap it all off, the love of there lifes has jumped straight in to bed with the first upgrader to show willing. So hence, down to the docs claim depression and go home for a couple of months and just send in a note from your local doctor every time your tropp staffy breaths down your neck! you would think that it would be the older ones around us that might have real life problems/issues that could warrant this illness, and not some snotty nosed 18 year old who does not like his job! the end.

2. oooh you meany.

3. im with you all the way on this one my friend.......

4. I was at Blandford between 98 and 2000 and the amount of people on anti depression tabs was unbelievable. They were handed out nearly as much as Brufen! I got offered them once when feeling a bit down (not the reason I went to med cen) and told the MO where he could shove them. This hapened under a civvi and Mil MO.

Seems depression is the new craze. It's weird I think the Uk is the only country that doesn't distinguish between feeling a bit down and Bi-polar (actual medical depression). we are going to end up one fcuked up generation who can't deal with little problems that life throws at us, without taking a tablet to sort it.

5. To play devil's advocate for a sec...

Not being Sigs myself, I admit that i have no idea what things are like in your neck of the woods. However, there have been times and places where similar things have happened within my own capbadge. Whilst the moral fibre of some young sprogs can be called into question, when problems like this arise there is often a case to be made about JNCOs not doing their jobs properly.

By that I mean that there is more to being a Lance Jack than taking the cash, doing your trade to a reasonable standard and whinging about the sh*te being sent out of training. They (and senior privates for that matter) should be getting a grip of these problems close to the ground - and if that means dispensing with the hard act and actually applying a bit of compassion and understanding, then so be it. Nothing to do with being soft, everything to do with maintaining productivity and efficiency. It can be lonely as a sprog and JNCOs should be intelligent and motivated enough to work on bringing new blokes into the team, rather than isolating them so that they become even crapper than they may already be.

Just a thought...

6. I'm sure the current government wouldn't be too unsettled at such a 'Brave New World'ian state of affairs, the general populace obsessed with their own drugged little existences.

Disillusioned, me?

Rightly.

7. Not just the sprogs unfortunately. I know of an SNCO (now civvi) who went sick with depression to avoid a tour, and got 4 months off, and that was back in 98! It all depends to a greater or lesser degree on man management. Good man management = happy blokes, bad man management = demoralised blokes. Just a thought, but I'd say that I've always been managed best by those who aren't desperate to be promoted. My last OC would have sold the entire Sqn into slavery for a pip to go with his crown, and my Golden Recliner could have run the Sqn better :p

But I didn't get depressed, I just got angry and asked for an early posting, got it, and a shoite CR to boot :?

8. wedge you made a valid point about ncos, not only should they look after the lads at work but in the block etc , i dont mean reading bedtime stories and taking long walks!. i personally feel that a lot of soldiers are promoted far too quickly these days and havent had the time to "grow"into the rank.the point im making is that you find lcpl/cpls after 5 yrs service with very little military experiance and some are still immature. although i have come across some very good jncos who are aware that they possibly lack some skills however they are not afraid to ask/ seek advice.i stand by for incoming!

9. Well said m8

10. I'm getting depressed reading this! Can I have some time off????

11. i say burn their beds morale is a privilage

Depression shoot them as a warning to others :wink:

12. Having actually known and cared for somebody who has suffered from depression i can say that minimum 90% (remember people 75% of statistics are made up) of people do not suffer from it. if somebody is hit by clinical depression they are considerably fucked up. However depression seems to be the new back pain in the forces so it is no surprise that it has kicked in at the factory. as the army never weeded out the blaggers with the last fad and the one before that (knees, backs etc etc) they will probably ignore this one as well

13. There is no surprise that they are saying they are depressed. The trainees of today have a relatively easy time over all. All the facilities are in place should they wish to use them, as said before, Cinema, bowling ally, bar, sports facilities, etc. In fact, this might actually be part of the problem, because everything is there for them there is no enticement to leave camp and go and explore.
    It is down to JNCO's to get amongst them and educate/ character build, but that brings its own problems with fraternisation which is discussed on a different thread.
    One solution would be to remove the facilities from everyday use and to give them as rewards. Yes, it’s the carrot and the stick routine, but when you get to use the said facilities there is more enjoyment and you appreciate it far more.
    There is no point in wrapping them up in cotton wool as happens now, all that happens is that when they get to the working unit they get mega down, and hence they claim depression. Controversial, yes, and I wait for the incoming....

14. I agree with BG on the carrot and stick routine, but this is still not going to prepare them for a working unit!! Especially if they get sent somewhere like Catterick, Tidworth where there are very little facilities available. I was at the unit up North when the spate of depression swept through the Sprogs, and they knew how to milk it in every sense of the word

15. Depression is a problem that happens, its a Mental Health Dissorder, and 1 in 4 of the population suffer from Mental Health problems at some time in their life. Most recover, but that statistic must therefore mean that the military is going to encounter the problem too. That said a tablet is not always the best option. keeping busy and the mind active is one solution, and when they have nothing to do, there is alway guard duty surely !!!!!!!