Deporting murderer to Italy "breaches his human rights"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What!!!

The widow of murdered teacher Philip Lawrence has said she was "utterly devastated" by the decision not to deport her husband's killer.
    Frances Lawrence said she had been told Learco Chindamo would be deported to Italy, where his father was from.

The government said it would challenge "robustly" the decision to allow Chindamo, who stabbed Mr Lawrence in 1995 when he was 15, to stay in the UK.

The 26-year-old is serving a life sentence for the 1995 killing.

His lawyers argued that deporting him to Italy, where he was born, would breach his human rights.

OK Home Office is intending to lodge an appeal against this but this looks like a smokescreen. So by what twisted logic do end up with such a decision in relation to an Italian passport holder in the first place?

The answer is simple:

"The human rights lawyer David Enright said on Monday that under the current rules, it was impossible for people to be deported from one EU country to another.

Chindamo came to the UK when he was six. His father is Italian, his mother is from the Philippines and he has an Italian passport.

Mr Enright also dismissed the government's protests as "posturing", saying it had accepted the 2006 European Commission regulation into British law.

"(This) said that any EU national who had lived in the UK, even in prison, for more than 10 years, could only be removed from Britain on imperative grounds of national security - which clearly would not include Mr Chindamo or anyone like him," he added. "

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm not sure why a court has ruled he can't be deported. He's a foreign national and convicted murderer. He faces no danger back in Italy, in my opinion it's a perfect case for deportation.

Anyway he's only done 11 years of a life sentence why are we discussing his life before he's even eligable for parole?
  3. Because "life" doesn't mean, "life" unfortunately.

IMHO it shouldn't even be a matter for discussion. He has his sentance.
  4. As far as I'm concerned people like this gave up any entitlement to human rights when they committed the crime. :evil:

Send him over there... why should we pay anything more towards his 'hotel' accommodation!
  5. Ord-Sgt, Apparently he may be paroled as early as next year :(
  6. My bold. Do these lunatics not realise that scum like Chindamo do pose a very real threat to national security. Individually there actions are disgusting, illegal and for the friends and relatives of the victims concerned absolutely devastating, but collectively the actions of Chindamo and his like minded criminal brethren they threaten the very fabric of a nation where the vast majority of people are law abiding. He is not British and he has no valid reason to remain here after his release. Hopefully he will meet a fortunate accident while he is inside and then we don't need to worry about him re-offending or about where he will spend the rest of his worthless life!
  7. lets hope he finds the correct justice on the streets??
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Who decides these things. A mere 12 years for murder! :? 8O Barking.
  9. I am not sure this is about 'human rights' of the individual. But being sent to an EU country he will be able to return to the UK, or any other EU country, fairly easily under freedom of movement. Hence he could come back or just end up floating around the EU.

There's also the case that he won't be monitored in Italy, he'll go home, maybe questioned to satisify the Italian's he isn't a danger, then be sent on his merry way. Here in the UK he'll be on probation and be looked at closely. After his time on probation is done he'll be known to all the police forces around the country and be sent straight to jail if he reoffends. So 'in the greater good' it is arguably better he stays where we can keep an eye on him then allow him to roam around the EU, including here, where he'll have been lost from the radar (i.e. not placed on the probation/offender database) because he's been deported and thus is no longer our problem. (Until he comes back of course!)

I can't see 'real' human rights (i.e. protection from torture, death penalty etc) coming into this case - he's only away to Italy, not the Middle East!

Sounds more like media hype of an undeniably tragic case.
  10. It should actually be shorter... say about 5 minutes before he is removed from the planet permanently! :evil:
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

No link but on Radio 4 Today programme this morning the Home Office promised 'Robust' opposition to Immigrations decision to allow him to stay in the UK. For those of you not conversant with Mandrin Speak, that roughly translates as 'Fuck off and die".
  12. I heard the interview with Mrs Lawrence on R4 this morning, and I have nothing but respect for that Lady.

The main complaint from her seems to be that the 'powers that be' had told her that he would be deported at the end of his sentance, and that that was taken (by Mrs L) to be part of his punishment.

Looks like the Gubmint enacting laws that mean they can't even keep simple commitments to their own citizens.

And eligable for parole after 12 years is insane for an act of murder.

We need special sentancing for attacks on authority figures, with no parole. I would include Police, Teachers, Medical Staff (even hosp receptionists), fire brigade etc. Take the normal tarif and add 50%, and no parole. Job done.
  13. Is it me but dont you forgoe all human rights the moment you murder someone? As far as i am concerned there should be a species re-classification and you ecome halfway between animal/human and need to earn the rights to be classified as human again.

Crucifiction first offence...........
  14. Eligible for parole does not mean you get it.
  15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I cant remember if "very vigorously" trumps "robust"? But Jack Straw and the Government vs a Tribunal? I know who my money's on.