Deportation flight today

If Mohammed Bloggs nicks his neighbour's lawnmower, gets caught and then consents to being tried and punished by his local Sharia court, isn't that in effect a parallel legal system?
Only if me thumping the dodgy, absurdly dressed ****** i caught trying to nick my phone last week on the Underground is a parallel legal system.

In eirher case, illegitimate under law and emphatically not approved of by lawful authorities.

...incidentally, good to see some assimilation going on with the Bloggses taking on an Anglicised surname. Not sure about the Christian name though. Er... hang on...

If Mohammed Bloggs nicks his neighbour's lawnmower, gets caught and then consents to being tried and punished by his local Sharia court, isn't that in effect a parallel legal system?
You know they're not really courts by by definition arbitration councils, and cannot issue any 'punishments'?
They mostly convey arbitration on religious matters, and often these are within families.

If there were issues as you mention above, then they would fall outside of the usual convention of the tribunals, and thus are no more than Kangaroo courts, islamic or otherwise. There's also no legal override of English/Scottish law in these 'courts' and they exclusively affect the local Muslim's who recognise and use them.

Awol

LE
You know they're not really courts by by definition arbitration councils, and cannot issue any 'punishments'?
They mostly convey arbitration on religious matters, and often these are within families.

If there were issues as you mention above, then they would fall outside of the usual convention of the tribunals, and thus are no more than Kangaroo courts, islamic or otherwise. There's also no legal override of English/Scottish law in these 'courts' and they exclusively affect the local Muslim's who recognise and use them.

Of course I know they have no legal standing whatsoever, but if all concerned view them as legitimate and observe their rulings, then they are in effect a parallel legal system operating under the radar of the rest of society.

Of course I know they have no legal standing whatsoever, but if all concerned view them as legitimate and observe their rulings, then they are in effect a parallel legal system operating under the radar of the rest of society.
As it only concerns muzzies and not atheists, Christians or Spaghetti Monster followers, who cares?

Awol

LE
As it only concerns muzzies and not atheists, Christians or Spaghetti Monster followers, who cares?
The problem occurs when an individual, perhaps a Muslim woman, is coerced into accepting the Sharia court as the judicial body and it hands down judgements and punishment which conflict with the actual law of the land.

Maybe I didn't clean my glasses properly this morning, and admittedly after a quick scroll through the thread, but I can't see any post from RCT(V) here.
That's my ineptitude with quoting functions.

I was asking him about Britain's teeming and heavily overworked sharia courts for criminal offences, of which most towns have dozens and even the remotest hamlets, of two crofts and a tumbledown wee Chapel, have a couple nowadays.

What mechanisms are in place to make sure religious courts dont over step the mark ?
I'm quite happy for religious courts to rule on whether Mo is excused fasting during
Ramadan but not that he be given 40 lashes for breaking it.
How do we monitor this ?

The problem occurs when an individual, perhaps a Muslim woman, is coerced into accepting the Sharia court as the judicial body and it hands down judgements and punishment which conflict with the actual law of the land.
Although they may be coerced or bullied into accepting the judgement, they still have access to the UK legal system.

Sharia Courts are widespread throughout the Muslim world, and nothing will stop them happening no matter what the Government or the EDL or whomever says they can't, through legal means or otherwise.

I concur that they're an outdated concept that doesn't fit in today's modern society, but apparently they serve a purpose for the insular Muslim communities. Outlaw them and they'll go underground.

What next, would they outlaw male circumcision for muslims and Jews and expect it to stop overnight? Would be a huge success like the illegality of FGM has been the last 40-odd years? Oh hang on!

What do you suggest should happen?

A link in my earlier FullFact link
Baroness Cox said . .
The Minister made the point that every citizen in the country has access to the UK justice system. However, the power of Sharia councils lies in how they are perceived by their communities, allowing the creation of de facto legal structures and standards which contradict fundamental British legal principles—and the fundamental principle in this country of promoting gender equality and eradicating gender discrimination.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Norman Manley waiting to welcome all home, Kingston bars ready for new drinkers.
The Bob Marley Centre ready with the ganja & jerk chicken for new arrivals.

Seats still available for tonight's flight, no booking required just turn up, no passport required.

TBH they did have a lot of relevant modern questions, but there were so many non-relevant questions in the test. I agree with the others who posted here that it's important to know the history of the country, but some of them were so detailed and granular, you would say "why do I need to know this?" General history and details should be enough IMHO.

Things might have changed now, remember this was the test I took just over 5 years ago.
You still here?
Who's idea was it to give Oz the internet?

I'd like to see the Charlie Chaplin question replaced by 'what is the capacity, in gallons, of a Spitfire's fuel tank'.
Which variant?

Latest Threads