Deployments for RA, RS and IC

Hi all,
Heading to Sandhurst in the near future and currently looking at Artillery, Signals and Int Corps. Just wondering what deployments are like with them and how much say you get on when and where you go?

Hi all,
Heading to Sandhurst in the near future and currently looking at Artillery, Signals and Int Corps.
;) I sincerely apologise, because I've failed the quell the urge to be Mr.Picky (and I understand that you haven't joined yet), but the correct abbreviations are RA, R SIGNALS, INT CORPS...

...I'm only triggered because RS is/was Royal Scots...

...sorry, I couldn't help it...

Just wondering what deployments are like with them and how much say you get on when and where you go?
Wonderful. Or rubbish. It all depends on the people around you unit... and no, you don't really get much of a say unless you volunteer for something with another unit.

chimera

LE
To be honest you ask an unanswerable question. If you serve a full career (i.e. 20+ years) in any part of the Service you will get more than your share of deployments, and, without a crystal ball, you won't have a scooby where they will be.

Let me explain: At the back end of the 80s, the only operational show in town was Northern Ireland; then the Cold War ends, and as part of the "Peace Dividend" we end up toddling off to the Balkans for the best part of a decade (via Gulf War 1), with a few random UN shouts (Rwanda, Angola, Cambodia etc) thrown in. By mid 2001, the Army is starting to get bored, as Bosnia and Kosovo wind down, and there isn't much on the "operational" horizon......until 9/11 comes along, the whole world changes, and suddenly it is back to back tours in Iraq and Afghanistan for everyone - not just the "sexy" units. When those wind up a decade later, we all think it is getting boring again until those nasty ISIS dudes just won't go away, and it is off on a shed load of training missions, and ops in Mali etc

So if you join now, where will you will deploy in 2030, 2035, 2040? Your guess is as good as anyone's was when they joined in 1980 or 1990 or 2000.

So the answer to your question is join which ever bit of the Service you think you will enjoy. You will get plenty of time away I can assure you.

Donny

ADC
To be honest you ask an unanswerable question. If you serve a full career (i.e. 20+ years) in any part of the Service you will get more than your share of deployments, and, without a crystal ball, you won't have a scooby where they will be.

Let me explain: At the back end of the 80s, the only operational show in town was Northern Ireland; then the Cold War ends, and as part of the "Peace Dividend" we end up toddling off to the Balkans for the best part of a decade (via Gulf War 1), with a few random UN shouts (Rwanda, Angola, Cambodia etc) thrown in. By mid 2001, the Army is starting to get bored, as Bosnia and Kosovo wind down, and there isn't much on the "operational" horizon......until 9/11 comes along, the whole world changes, and suddenly it is back to back tours in Iraq and Afghanistan for everyone - not just the "sexy" units. When those wind up a decade later, we all think it is getting boring again until those nasty ISIS dudes just won't go away, and it is off on a shed load of training missions, and ops in Mali etc

So if you join now, where will you will deploy in 2030, 2035, 2040? Your guess is as good as anyone's was when they joined in 1980 or 1990 or 2000.

So the answer to your question is join which ever bit of the Service you think you will enjoy. You will get plenty of time away I can assure you.
Nicely put, and pretty accurate from my memory

Latest Threads