Deployment to Afghanistan / Getting a local simcard????

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Alf_Garnet_Commando, Aug 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, I was wondering if you could help me.

As I will possibly be deploying to afghanistan soon i wanted to know if any of you had deployed there (im sure you have) and if so, what is the gen on getting a simcard for use on local networks??

I know some of the lads have done it in iraq before and was just hoping to save myself some money while i was out there.

Many thanks
  2. Depends where you go, If you're going up north to MeS you can get one from about 4 different shops, not sure about Kabul though I suspect you can buy one down there but the price of calls would be stupid your best bet would be to buy more time on your Paridim card, (I've no idea how to spell that so don't pick me up on it, you spelling nazis.) and use it from a military phone.
  3. It's Paradigm, but the g is silent. Like the p in swimming pool.

Excuse me, I'm just off to annex Austria.
  4. Yes mate, I work in Kabul Airport. I have a Roshan card, Top ups are all in dollars. The sim itself will cost you $45.
    Hope this helps
    Anymore info let me know
  5. I Have two simcards in KAIA so we will still be here when you arrive look us up in the Line Section CIS Atco Frontec. As Discos said top up cards can be bought easily at the airport 10 US or 20 US calls are cheap as fick. The other means of communicatons is Banana cards so if you can get hold of them before coming here even better as they are like rocking horse shit here. Once they get into the shop they are gone within a couple of days. Hope this helps