Deployment time after phase 2 Reserves training

mickboy

Crow
Hi folks

Dependant on what trade the person is, or is it the same for all cap badges. Is there a spacific time period that a person needs to be within their reserve unit before deployment? For instance, does an infantry reserve soldier need to be in for two years before signing their name for FTRS predeployment and Ops.

Thank you.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

InvictusNow

Swinger
Good question! Bumping this up in case anyone has some good info on this.

Hi folks

Dependant on what trade the person is, or is it the same for all cap badges. Is there a spacific time period that a person needs to be within their reserve unit before deployment? For instance, does an infantry reserve soldier need to be in for two years before signing their name for FTRS predeployment and Ops.

Thank you.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The_Duke

LE
Don’t think in terms of time, think skills, experience and qualifications.

You might have notionally “been in for three years”, but have none of the above. Alternatively, 12 months of the right courses, exercises and attachments might get you there.

Depending on your cap badge there maybe further trade training to complete in unit prior to being ready for mobilisation (workplace training statement). Some units might put troops through a programme Pre-mobilisation, others might require WTS to have been completed during normal training before you’ll be considered.

Don’t think in terms of time, think skills, experience and qualifications.

You might have notionally “been in for three years”, but have none of the above. Alternatively, 12 months of the right courses, exercises and attachments might get you there.
whats sort of process do you need to complete nowadays if you are going to mobilise (assuming you're Ph2 complete etc.)?

for instance if you were an inf soldier going to a reg Bn slotted for Kabul would you be doing a year or so of beat up training with your AR unit prior to mobilising and joining them* or is it less stringent now?

*as i understand it this is what AR soldiers were doing prior to mobilising for Herrick circa 2010 onwards but i might be wrong.

Depending on your cap badge there maybe further trade training to complete in unit prior to being ready for mobilisation (workplace training statement). Some units might put troops through a programme Pre-mobilisation, others might require WTS to have been completed during normal training before you’ll be considered.
you must have replied as i was typing. i was just curious to where it fitted between the extremes of the early-mid 2000's when you got you're brown letter, did chilwell and a buckshee RSOI package prior to deploying and the 1 year of AR training and battlecamps prior to joining a reg unit and going through their PDT with them before flying out (which is what i understood happened for some of the later Herricks)

you must have replied as i was typing. i was just curious to where it fitted between the extremes of the early-mid 2000's when you got you're brown letter, did chilwell and a buckshee RSOI package prior to deploying and the 1 year of AR training and battlecamps prior to joining a reg unit and going through their PDT with them before flying out (which is what i understood happened for some of the later Herricks)
After post-Phase 3 training there is a residual training gap between Regular and Reserve syllabi, of which some is mandated to be closed in unit under unit arrangements (WTS), some of which is taken at risk (eg sh1t loads of drill plus other bits and pieces where the requirement to train depends on operational requirement). Like Phase 3 training, this is once in career type initial training but comes under particular focus in the run-up to mobilisation. It varies between units, but WTS is not always well-understood within the wider army* as well as ARes units nor is it easy to manage. BTW regular trade training has WTS too, albeit a shorter list.

(*Such as the assumption that an ARes inf YO post-Brecon has necessarily completed their initial ACMT or LFTT package).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Int Corps 6
Snakecharmer Weapons, Equipment & Rations 15
I Royal Signals 1

Latest Threads