Deployment on HERRICK requirements

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by crazymike, Dec 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have spent the past three years in a UOTC where i completed Modules 1-3 as well as numerous other TA courses. I am now looking to rejoin a local Infantry TA unit in 51 Brigade, and hope to go on an operational tour in Afghanistan during the summer prior to doing regualr sandhurst in 2010.

My question is about the requirements needed to qualify for deployment other than MATTS which i have already done? Will i have to redo phase 1 recruits training again?

Also, having only just come from a UOTC, what are the procedures with volunteering for HERRICK?

n.b. Any Inf. units in 51 Brigade that are particularly worth looking at?
  2. msr

msr LE

You need to see what vacancies there are for a newly minted 2Lt.

I think you may need to have your commissioned confirmed before you can go on ops.

Personally, given that you are going regular, my advice don't join the TA just go and do all the things you are not going to be able to do when you sign on the dotted line.

3. You've probably left it too late.

Units going out on Herrick 10 will generally deploy around march.

For you to transfer to a Group A unit, Mobilise, Optag and join your unit you're looking at longer than you've got.

4. Thanks for the info so far guys. Just so you know, i have not done TA Sandhurst.

So from what i can gather so far, there is only a certain amount of dates whereby you can voluteer for a tour before the cut of date itself?

How long does it take to rejoin the TA after having left officially for only a month or so?

Is there anyone who is part of 4 YORKS or the RIFLES detachment in Durham who knows anything about their deployment procedures?

Cheers guys,
  5. msr

msr LE

Correct, you have to meet the dates for the build up training with the unit you are mobilising with

Why leave for a month? Just put a letter in to your CoC

I would very much hope not in a public forum.

Get your TACC done then think about it, but I really can't see there being many opportunities for a newly minted 2Lt.

My recommendation remains that you do all the things you want to do now before you go regular.

6. To deploy as an infantry YO, you need to do PCTC before you deploy. In terms of timescales, you should anticipate approx 3 months between mobilisation and deployment. An infantry mobilisation is now effectively 11.5 months long with PDT, PDL, tour, decompression, POTL. For H10 you have probably missed the boat.

7. your going to join 6 SCOTS or 7 SCOTS pm me and i will get an answer for you.....

8. Apologies for the typo guys, i meant 15 NorthEast brigade.

Just to clarify i DONT want to go as an Officer. I want to go as a standard pair of boots on the ground.

So a TA tour lasts over 6 months? What about in the case of a TA company/platoon deployed as force protection? I understand 4 YORKS are deploying one of these on Herrick 10?

Essentially, i am finishing uni in mid June and want to do this before i go to Sandhurst in January or May of 2010. I havnt done CIC but i have done Module 3 pre training for Sandhurst which i heard is held as something similiar to the standard of TA CIC.

And no, im not a young Ocdt thruster which some of the OTC are reknowned at producing so consistently.

Can anyone give me some suggestions with how i can go about a deployment quickish? Cheers guys,
  9. msr

msr LE

Mike, this is the army, not (although sometimes it feels like it).

10. You are phase 1 trained essentially, so once you join a TA unit, you could go straight to phase 2 training. Once youve finished phase 2 and spent a little time in your unit, volunteer for deployment if you so wish.
  11. So with reference to Phase 2 training: Does the Infantry CIC have only a few intakes each year? Any links within ARRSE to info on TA CIC?

I dont take the TA for, MSR, i am merely coming from a unit which tends not to have to deal with these issues with being a Cat. B deployment organisation, i.e. world war 3. But thanks for the steer so far guys.
  12. I once thought like you, I left OTC had a bit of time to myself and was fed up leading the morons in my local sainsburys. I wanted to get abroad before going to sandatraz. A very, very wise man pointed out that I should enjoy my time that I have before going reg becuase once I commissioned my feet would not touch the ground. I know of people who passed out the same time I did who commissioned on the fri and started optag the following mon, spent crimbo on telic then were back weeks later to start their YO course. I knew week six of seniors, when I was going abroad to ghaners. I bumped into a random bloke on my commissioning night who congratulated me on joing the same reg as him and it turned out I was scheduled to takeover his platoon, once YO was completed, and that two weeks after my start date the reg was of to BATUS. My advice is chill out, relax after many years studying and get in some quality time with friends and family.

13. I'd concur with the jolly sensible advice given by the Beast Appreciation Society. I am in a similar situation and am desperately keen to go somewhere, but I think it's probably unrealistic/better for the army if I don't! Enjoy your degree (if you can) do some TA, get some experience and then crack on with Reg RMAS. As far as commissioning goes, I understood you needed a years experience plus PCD to go on tour. Not to mention the OC's approval.

Hope this is of help.
  14. CM has said that he does not want to depoy as a Rupert.
  15. You're quite right, my apologies. However, I'd stick with that. While it may seem like a good idea to get a tour under your belt I think in the long run it's better to stay and do your degree well, then do Sandhurst. Only an opinion, but one that has long been suggested to me by a number of sensible people.