Deployment and the Human Rights Act

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Threadbaron, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question for the barrack room lawyers amongst you...

Is it possible to refuse a tour (as opposed to going awol as Joe Glenton did) citing the Human Rights Act? I seem to remember a case a few years back about this, can anyone fill in the blanks?

2. I think when you sign on the dotted line you pretty much bugger your chances of opting out - and quite rightly so.

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Yes. If you don't agree with a particular deployment and are unwilling to go, sign off. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

If you're trying to get out of it just because you've been warned off for a tour, then tough luck.

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

No! Why would you think otherwise?

5. What part of the Human Rights Act exactly?

Unless the subject in question (of course, not you..just one of your 'mates') can prove complete stupidity beyond all shadow of doubt, the HRA wont help him.

On what grounds would this person want to 'opt out' of a tour? Did they not realise that the British Army doesn't just march around bits of tarmac?

6. Of course you can. Indeed if you don't like the uniform you can choose to wear your own clothes in camp - it is your right to freedom of expression afterall. If a nasty SNCO gives you a job to do you can always refuse because there's always some sap who'll do it instead. PT is not compulsory because we don't want our little cherubs getting upset that they are fat, idle feckless wasters. If someone has the audacity to try and discipline you for not doing your job then you can always write to your MP, if you get sent to Colchester you can just leave by booking out at the guardroom. In fact you can join the Army and then just go home yet continue to get paid.

Or you could actually do what you are paid to do.

7. i think you will have to have a dam good reason to not go, however if you feel you dont want to play the game anymore do the honourable thing and PVR. when i got to 15 i was fed up of all the extras we had to do due to when i joined there were over a 100 thou in and when i left in 2001 55 thou and more dets and loads more work so 6 months and i was out although its not easy in civi street but i did do the honourable thing as i didnt think it was right that the guys went away and i didn.t want to anymore as i had just started a family and the job was then becoming a singly life not really suitable for pads. so end ex :(

8. If you talking about him

He was rightly found guilty

In case such as this I would suggest go home, pop the kettle on and make a nice big cup of MAN THE FUCK UP

9. As relevant as I'm sure your comments are, I'm afraid I can't understand a single fucking word.