deployed on gap year.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by LCL 0509, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If i was in the TA and i had a gap year coming up, would be allowed to be deployed on the gap year as a TA soldier just for that year, especially since I am an Army officer scholar due to go into Sandhurst.

2. Please desist from being an appendage.

Thanks.

3. I have absolutely no idea but bloody good for you for considering it. I wish you all the best in this mate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If the PDT and the Tour itself lines up It wouldn't be an issue

• Like Like x 2
  5. I could be (and am often) wrong, but if you have already been accepted by a university you are considered to be a student and therefore are not eligible to be deployed.

6. Are you already in the TA? If yes then ask them as they'll know, if not I think you'd be pushed to join up and get all your training etc done and then find a deployment that fits with your gap year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. unfortunately not. I'm 16 so i'm not old enough to join the TA yet.

8. Then it's unlikely you won't be able to join until your 18 which is when your gap year will start. It will take longer than a year to be trained, and go through deployment. Consider a gap year commission if they still do them ?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

9. What sort of 16 year old calls himself a scholar? I think, at your age, the technical term is schoolkid. Get laid mate, do drugs , drink 20/20 and Jeagerbombs and even try a homosexual affair. After a few month's you'll be face-palming yourself.

I admire young ambition, I was the same however you are combining TA with university and Army officer when you are not old enough to do any of them for a few years yet.

10. You are indeed wrong, you can take a year out of your university course and volunteer for a tour.

Depending on the FTRS contract then you may end up serving more than a year due to MST build up, tour, and then POTL.

Don't gob off about being an army scholar, if no one at RMAS cares you can bet your shiny boots that your tour oppos care even less.

• Like Like x 1
  11. As a 16 year why don't you join the cadets, after all its two years before you go to University?

12. I think it's a valid reason for exemption, not an automatic bar to deployment. In other words, if the Army wants you to go, you can tell them to poke it, but if you want to go, it's up to you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. If he's got an Army Scholarship...he's an Army Scholar!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Where is it that you think you will be deployed to in 2015?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.