Department for International Development - the weakest link?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. I'd have to say that the ability of the Army to provide 1&2 is nowhere near 'undoubted'. We've achieved a strategic stalemateat best and that's simply not sustainable. All the insurgents need to do is wait; we need to break them before we can achieve the 'build' part.
  3. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

But isnt the build phase closely connected to security, one contributing to the other.

Do we overlap the two phases, not sure of the answer but I would have thought if we wait for safety to be complete there will never be a good time to build and therfore never safety. Why is it the US always seem able to have a cold analysis of what they have been doing, be honest and self critical and then move at breakneck pace to the agreed new course of action?
  4. I suspect the US approach works rather better in the short term because they are able to saturate areas with troops to provide medium-term security while the initial build goes in and then leave enough bods in place to stiffen AFG forces securing the local in the longer term.

We simply don't have the ability to secure an area effectively with the numbers we have. If we try, it'll just result us being fixed in a Herrick 11 'company-house' scenario instead of a Herrick 4 'platoon-house' one. Like it or not, we are actually war-fighting as well as rebuilding and don't have the strength to do both they way they need to be done.
  5. Yes! Next question.
  6. In this particular case I can't help thinking that buying all the poppy crop would be most cost effective with the least unwanted side effects (as it were).
  7. Something that has been said more than a few times in CA but we all know that its not going to happen.

Especially while hapless cnuts like Millband and all the other previous Foreign secretaries and the know nothing idiots running DFiD look at at there feet, while expecting the forces to carry out war fighting operations and protect aid projects. On a shoe string with fcuk all in resources and manpower.

Properly funded and resourced together with being drawn into a bigger strategic picture i would probably be a snap, but i doubt it will happen given the clown at the top of the tree cant even focus on a simple march past on Saturday it would seem looking at the press pictures.