Denver, what to do in the evenings?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Speedy, Feb 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going to find myself in Denver for a week in late June for an exhibition my company has a stand at, and I'm staying for a few days after for a mini-break. Can anyone recommned anything to do in:

a. The evenings

b. Within a days travelling distance or for a 3 day tour of the area

It's my first real time as a civvy visitor to the states and want to make the most of it.

2. Well, I've I was doing an expo in Bielefeld I'd know what to do!

1. Get Gyros from the place down the side of the Shell garage on Detmolder Strasse

2. See if Ekkies is still in business for old times sake

3. Go for a drink at HMs

4. Go on a hunt to see if the old clubs from the 80's are still there as I hear Caddies is no more :(

Seeing as I, and everyone I know, has never been to Denver it'd be nice to have a list of places to eat\drink etc when I arrive as I trust the opinion of ARRSERs as to what constitutes a good night out over that of any tourist guide!

P.S. Forgot to add: Walk around what remains of Ripon Bks and have a little cry as I remember all of the good times I had in the 4 years I was there.

3. 1. Not get shot.

4. Drive down to Colorado Springs and see USAF Acadamy Visitors Centre and Museum and Pike's Peak/Garden of the Gods

Then head SW and cross the Rockies on the San Juan Highway, Visit Silverton and Durango then head for Mesa Verde and the Pueblo dwellings (I didn't think the'd be much cop either, but was very impressed)

I think you'd be pushing it to do the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley but it's possible, else swing round via Albuqueque/Santa Fe/Northern NM and then back up to Denver.

Hope it helps

5. What is a "mack daddy" is it some sort of windcheater :p ?

6. I don't know about Denver town center in the evenings however for your 3 spare days.

Colorado Springs and the USAF acadamy is worth a (very) quick detour too. If you are into scenery / photography then the Garden of The Gods in the same area is worth a visit.

If you want to go inland to the mountains a bit more, there are a number of whitewater rafting trips leaving from Buena Vista, from multi-day to day long trips.

If you want to go hiking Rocky Mountain National Park has lots of day long / half day routes and the scenery is stunning.

7. Cheers, just the info I want.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Jesus. Right. Do not make eye contact with anybody. Hire a car, hook a left and make your way to Bryce Canyon in Utah. Just get the fuck out of Denver. Americans are nuts, you know?

9. Call me a damned old traditionalist if you like, but I am assuming by the word Denver, you are talking about the only one I know of in the USA?

Given that, just go into town, and speak, knowing American women from my own experience, just the sound of an English voice is usually enough to get a good ride.

Unless of course you are a total knob, and wouldnt get a shag if your dick was half way in already?

American women are easier than pads row in Sennelager on an exercise week, so get yourself into town, and make merry.

Failing that, give Jarrod a call.

10. TheIronDuke

Nah. We're talking about Danny Denver. He runs a fruit and veg stall in Queen Street market in Camden Town. He's had a hassle with his daughter and we're trying to sort it. She is a lovely girl. Chartruse she is called. Thanks for your interest.

11. Ahhhh, my apologies, given thats the case, just buy a half box of apples, and say, "hello luv, hows you father" then move along to the eel and whelk stall, job done.

12. Get yourself down to Coors Field and watch the Colorado Rockies.
    You don't have to enjoy Baseball specifically to appreciate that the septics really know how to entertain a crowd. I've taken 'she who must be obeyed' and two teenage daughters to several games whilst on holiday (Phoenix & San Diego) and if they can enjoy it, anyone can.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/col/ballpark/index.jsp

13. Just remembered that it's the San Juan Skyway not Highway which is more indicative of it being a scenic route, there's also a parallel (very roughly!) section of it so it can be a circular tour in itself, if time is pressing.

Silverton is an old silver mining town and end stop of the Durango-Silverton railroad, probably far too time-consuming to ride on but it's quite impressive if you spot the train puffing through the terrain.

Mesa Verde is a gem of a National Park/National Monument that is well worth going out of the way for. It would be up there with the great attractions but I imagine they underplay it as there's a finite number of visitors they can handle

Garden of the Gods is an especially scenic and compact State Park, somewhere you can choose to drive around in a short time or stop and stroll as you wish.

Downtown Denver I didn't think had a lot going for it and most of it can probably be done in a lunch time.

Given the choice, I'd much prefer Santa Fe over Albuqueque.

14. TheIronDuke

We're moving a tad bit away from Denver here? Albuqueque is lovely, as is all the high desert, but hook a right and visit Phoenix, Arizona. Without the shadow of a doubt, the gayest town in all Gods green earth. Phoenix make Brighton look straight. You can do Brice Canyon from Phoenix, then escape the Utah weirdness back to a place you can buy a drink.