Dentophobia

Looks good, what have they said about retainers?
She gets them tomorrow, not sure how long she'll have to wear them though. I'll report back tomorrow evening.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
She gets them tomorrow, not sure how long she'll have to wear them though. I'll report back tomorrow evening.
Was involved in a discussion about this the day, it would appear that current philosophy is for life or for as long as you want the teeth to remain straight!

I plait mine.

Why do dental nurses have to be so good fecking looking anyway? Do you dentists not realise how embarrassing could be for those with teeth like a naafi piano to have them staring in?!
The degree of good-lookingness is usually in inverse proportion to how useful they are. Trust me on this, if she looks like Hermann Goering in a frock she's more likely to know her stuff.

Remind me to tell you about "pot pourri"...

Was involved in a discussion about this the day, it would appear that current philosophy is for life or for as long as you want the teeth to remain straight!
My daughter said she thought the MaxFax surgeon (M Boyle) said 24hrs for 2 months then nightly for life.

My dentist recommends baking soda.

While the taste is vile, it is dirt cheap and works a charm.

I have considered mixing some with water to make a paste, adding artificial flavouring, letting it dry then running it through a high-speed blender. That might improve the flavour deficit.
Couple of drops of spearmint oil might do the trick. Might give that a try.

She's got a wire and ?acrylic retainer for the top row (as there is still a slight gap they are trying to close up) - to be worn 24/7 and review in a couple of months; and a moulded ?rubber retainer for the bottom row - to be worn 12 hours a day for life.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
She's got a wire and ?acrylic retainer for the top row (as there is still a slight gap they are trying to close up) - to be worn 24/7 and review in a couple of months; and a moulded ?rubber retainer for the bottom row - to be worn 12 hours a day for life.
Vacuum formed usually vinyl of some sort, like a very thin mouthguard. Simple and cheap to make but can be become fragile with time. Easy to make a replacement though.

Same here. I will bump this.

I used to be scared of dentists when I was a kid.

The fear was instilled by Army dentists and the godawful smell of the gas mask. I lived in MQ in Cove in the late fifties/early sixties and remember a dental surgery in Aldershot which I recall as being a single dental chair in the middle of a huge room. Many years later the dental torture scene in Marathon Man made me shudder a bit.

My current dentist is a star. He took two wisdom teeth out without me even noticing the actual extraction. He numbed me up big time. Had a fiddle around in my gob making a sort of scrunching sound and walked away. I mumble “when are you going to extract it. He said “ I just did. It’s on your chest”. Big bugger.

I asked him what the white bits were on the tooth. “Bits of your jawbone”.
Stone me! That thick stench of rubber! I'd forgotten that.

I had a tooth out and spent longer waiting for the local to kick in than the tooth to come out.

Couple of drops of spearmint oil might do the trick. Might give that a try.
Soot scraped from the chimbly, mix in sprinkle of salt, that was it.

I had a mate who's mum was made to cry in the dentist chair, dentist apparently wasn't sympathetic enough,So he waited for the dentist to leave the surgery and filled him in.

Soot scraped from the chimbly, mix in sprinkle of salt, that was it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a drop of the oil on toothbrush then dip in the baking soda.

First Dan in Ohaguro, I see. First it's the chimney, next the toilet bowl but don't let me stop you. Crack on...

I'm thinking more along the lines of a drop of the oil on toothbrush then dip in the baking soda.

First Dan in Ohaguro, I see. First it's the chimney, next the toilet bowl but don't let me stop you. Crack on...
Had to go ogle that. Don't know if I'll ever use it, but at least I know. Reckon there could be summat to soot though, One dentists extraction, zero fillings so far.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had a mate who's mum was made to cry in the dentist chair, dentist apparently wasn't sympathetic enough,So he waited for the dentist to leave the surgery and filled him in.
Patient's cry all the time, nothing to do with sympathy given or not, usually just because of own anxieties.

So how long did your mate get for assault?

I could write a book on my dentist chair experiences. Many years ago I had an upper extraction carried out by a local dentist who was formerly CO of our local TA and a war hero with the DSO and MC. His eloquent citations were framed on the wall facing the patient. Dunno why but as soon as he started tugging, I repeatedly blacked out. "Pull your self together man!" he entreated and eventually uttered an oath when his pincers bust in his hand. Throwing them exasperatedly into the corner of the room, his nurse suddenly came out with "I think I'm gong to faint!" He remonstrated with her and tried to reassure her all the while holding this poor lady up whilst still manouevring inside my gob must have been quite a feat for him as he was only about 5' 6" tall. With a cry of triumph he managed to prize the offending molar out and we all breathed sighs of relief. He earned his decorations over again, that day!

Latest Threads