DENTISTRY??

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Shenda, Aug 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me the system for dentistry in the army?

1. Do you go to your usual dentist with a form that covers the costs?
    2. Do you get treatment for free?
    3. Can you receive cosmetic treatment also?
    4. How soon after you start can you begin treatment?

2. Do you currently need dental treatment, or are you under treatment at the moment?

3. Its a couple of fillings, and I was hoping to have a tooth replaced also? But that part is cosmetic?

4. you must have health teeth to join up!

If you dont then you will get deferred at the start of basic training to go get it sorted out by your self!

5. Ok, putting that aside....

1. Do you go to your usual dentist with a form that covers the costs?
    2. Do you get treatment for free?
    3. Can you receive cosmetic treatment also?
    4. How soon after you start can you begin treatment?

Reagrds

6. Right, you have to be dental 'fit' to join up. ie: nothing wrong that is going to affect you during training.

Any work that is required before you join is payed for by you (or NHS).

As soon as you are in you can start receiving treatment.

Any cosmetic work carried out is beetween you and the (military) dentist.

7. NO
    YES
    Pass
    Depends

see also clicky alimentary

8. If the army will pay for a breast enlargement I'm sure they will sort out your dodgy teeth

9. You've got to be joking!!! ???

10. 1 . No , treatment carried out by a dental officer or civilian dental practitioner at a dental centre where you are posted
    2 . Yes
    3 . Restorative cosmetic treatments are carried out as deemed necessary by the dentist .
    4 . Inspection and a quick drill and fill in phase 1 training , but any major treatment plan will not really begin until you reach your unit

11. Now it also depends on what you mean by cosmetic? If by cosmetic you mean building up chipped teeth, cleaning them up etc then yes you will get that free of charge too.

Now if you mean things such as orthodontic appliances such as braces etc then you normally go for a review and they will say either a yes or no depending on severity etc. They will definately not do it for pure vanity if you know what i mean.

In my case my teeth were bad although i couldn't wear a brace when i was younger due to an overbite and was told to wait till i'd stop growing to see if my bottom jaw would catch up and then they would correct my teeth. Obviously i was in the army when i stopped growing and my jaw had not caught up so the army did it all for me although it's a long process.

3 years of wearing a brace, a lower jaw osteotomy and it's all sorted now.

But i'm still an ugly git dammit :wink:

12. On this, my wisdom teeth are coming through but not causing any problems (im not in pain or anything and they are more or less through now). Take it this shouldnt be a problem?