Dentistry amid the Covid19 outbreak, a warning

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt

Truxx

LE
This is due to the risk from generating aerosols that will contain the virus and the fact that symptoms do not show for several days after infection meaning that it is potential for spreading the disease.

There will still be emergency treatment available through out the country but be aware it may not be at your usual dentist and the dental team may well be in full PPE.
I think that the lakes were inundated with aerosols (selfish aerosols) at the weekend.....

Dental appointment cancelled and told to go to A&E if I was in pain and needed treatment. Fortunately, my appointment was for a routine check.

On one hand I am happy that the sadistic chap that was supposed to take my broken tooth out today is closed, on the other hand I’m slightly miffed as it bloody hurts like hell. I have a Dremel and may have to resort to extreme DIY.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On one hand I am happy that the sadistic chap that was supposed to take my broken tooth out today is closed, on the other hand I’m slightly miffed as it bloody hurts like hell. I have a Dremel and may have to resort to extreme DIY.
You should still be able to get emergency treatment. Especially if throbbing or keeping you awake. These are signs of an abscess.

wheel

LE
Just had a text confirming my appointment on Wednesday morning but asking me to look at latest NHS advice on Corona Virus.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bit of a surreal afternoon.

Very quiet morning but busy all afternoon with emergencies.

About 1515 received email from health board saying decision had been made to close my last clinic immediately. Unfortunately no one told our helpline who continued to book in patients.
We now have only 2 Public Dental Service clinics open North of Inverness. (This time last week we had 10) and probably one of them will also go in next few days.
Finished my patients and then boxed up all remaining PPE to srnd to open clinics. (Except a few open items we distributed to staff). Then said goodbye.

Bit of uncertainty over next few days. Will be on standby in case needed in an open clinic but there are quite a few of us so unlikely to be needed.
Then Thursday Friday is training to work in a virus assessment centre in local small hospital. Weekend and then 2 days leave.
We have been told to take all pre booked leave as none to be carried forward!
Then from next Wednesday either working as dentist providing emergency care or as clinician assessing potential virus cases.

Am yet to inform Mrs F exactly what I will be doing in the hospital. I expect it to be a difficult conversation. I may not mention that the option to work in the assessment centre is currently voluntary.
I may well take the decision that it will be safer to live away from home whilst I undertake that work.

This is not meant be anything other than information as to what is being asked of all those who currently work for the NHS in many different work groups.

Finished my patients and then boxed up all remaining PPE to srnd to open clinics. (Except a few open items we distributed to staff). Then said goodbye.
This is not meant be anything other than information as to what is being asked of all those who currently work for the NHS in many different work groups.
You might want to keep some of the PPE for yourself Fang. Keep safe and remember to barge in front of the supermarket queues.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Morning @SDFA,
About 7 years ago one of my molars 'shattered' leaving a shard of tooth, so off to local 'dentist'. His words. "Toot, make like new one hour no anaesthetic only R/s600". I politely declined and left. Went home got everything ready. Had a good gargle of 'Jack', made myself comfortable and began.
Saw my UK dentist about 10 months later. Her only comment was "You did a good job".
Never had an issue since and glad I had needlenose.

@Fang_Farrier,
"Gissa job la, go ed. I cn do dat".:)
You double hard bastard. Whilst I’ve been in pain over the years to the point where DIY dentistry has its appeal, I’ve yet to start pulling. Lack of intestinal fortitude unfortunately.

wafubustard

War Hero
Stay safe Fang.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
..............................the puke bowel!

*bowl, I think you mean.

Although I do recall a senior DN requesting some new "alginate bowels" on the weekly order.

bedended

War Hero
Yeah, Leathermans are good for all sorts of odd jobs. I never left the firebase without mine. :mrgreen: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Morning @ Ruckerwocman,
Bought my 'Supertool' in the USA about 1984(?). Like yourself, "I don't leave home without it". Used at least once every day. The only time it's off my belt is going abroad when it's in hold luggage or going through metal detectors. I swear I can feel the missing weight and somehow feel undressed.

bedended

War Hero
You double hard bastard. Whilst I’ve been in pain over the years to the point where DIY dentistry has its appeal, I’ve yet to start pulling. Lack of intestinal fortitude unfortunately.
Morning @Nemesis44UK,
Nothing to do with being a roughie-roughie, more like being a tighty-whitey;) It was that or pay R/s600:D(about £4 back then).

Worryingly I have had an e-mail from a friend, he tells me that he has received an e-mail from his dentist in Stourbridge informing him that the BDA has declared that dentists will no longer treat the over 70s, has anyone heard of this????
I still think of BDA as meaning Backblast Danger Area. It's a worry because I'm sure it doesn't in this context.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
Final fitting for my new false gnashers yesterday.

"Any questions" says my attractive lady dentist.
"Yes" says I "How long will it be before I can play the trumpet?"
"Oh, leave it a couple of days and you should be OK" she replied.
"That's good because I couldn't play one before"

Rapid exit left.

Latest Threads