Dental Injury - advice needed

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by in_the_cheapseats, Dec 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I have a complaining mother in law in the house visiting. Not fun as you may guess. She had a root removed from her lower right jaw at the start of Oct and had a three locals during the procedure.

She now has an area larger than a 50p around the area of the injections which is numb . It is causing her problems particularly as she is now in the habit on biting chunks from the inside of her mouth.

She went back to the dentist a couple of days after the procedure who told her feeling would return in about 10 days. She has been back another couple of times and been given the line that all good things happen to those that wait.

Some 2 months later there is no noticable increase in sensation and she is getting worried.

I suppose the the questions are:

1. How long should she be waiting for the return of feeling?
    2. Is there anything she can do to help herself?
    3. Should she be seeking legal advice?

edited once for mong fingers
  2. Seek legal advice - contact The Royal British Legion on 020 7973 7215.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

Like to expand on your answer?

Also mother in law isn't mil. TBL presumably would be unable to help?
  4. Do the Royal British Legion advise ex-squaddies on all matters? I'm planning on sueing my current employer when I get another job.

As I'm a student I need the money, so I can't leave until I get another job which should be after xmas. But I have been told I have a case by someone else who is sueing them.

Sorry to take away from the other post, but it would be handy to know.

5. The Royal British Legion is the UK’s leading charity providing financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served or are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependants, so the answer to both the above posts is yes.
  6. I'm not a lawyer so take what is written below with a grain of salt!

Re legal action:

When I did my wisdoom tooth extraction, it was explained to me by my dentist that there is a possibility, albeit a very low possibility, that some nerves around my jaw area might be damaged. I was then asked if I wanted to go ahead and I signed my consent.

I suspect that in all likelihood, you MIL gave her consent in signature too. So it seems that the only way to go is to alelge negligence and where doctors are concerned that is very difficult to show; IIRC, the doctor only has to act in accordance with a responsible body of medical opinion to escape liability. Still, depending on the situation, it might be worth getting legal advice, or getting a solicitor to draft a letter of demand - the dentist might capitulate and cough up... :)

Re (suspected) Nerve Damage:

I've hurt a nerve on my knee and it took more than 4 months to heal properly. Apparantly, that is just the way it is. All he did was to prescribe me some vitamins to help speed up the healing.

Still, perhaps get a 2nd opinion from another doctor/dentist?
  7. in_the_cheapseats

Hmm - thanks, Scabster. I'm not sure of the paperwork side. Your advice is much of my thinking.

Any dentists/MO who can comment on the likelihood on recovering feeling?
  8. I would advise the possibility of contacting the nearest dental school and see if they would be interested in looking at your MIL to see what they can do
  9. Further to my previous post, see this month's SOLDIER at page 54: 'If you've been injured in service and it wasn't your fault, support from The Royal British Legion could help you claim compensation from the MOD or other parties (my emphasis)' and of course TRBL assists service personnel and their dependants.