Dennis Hutchings

I wonder, and this is just speculation so don't anyone go off your head, but I hope this sad news doesn't mean they hyenas just move on to the next character.

That is exactly what they will do, this is an orchestrated campaign to delegitimise any mainland involvement in the Troubles in the eyes of the young born after the troubles and buttress the position and legacy of SF/IRA.

The behaviour of the MoD, UK Gov and in particular the NI Prosecution service show that cowardice we have in abundance and a fair sprinkling of those sympathetic to enabling Sinn Fein’s goals.

Will the next elderly British Soldier please stand up to be tried a third / forth / fifth time.

Do a search for IRA Tik Tock for an idea of how SF/IRA’s youth engagement campaign is doing, making big waves in the Republic and the US, not to mention here.

I have to say the support that Johnny Mercer MP has given Dennis and the other persecuted and abandoned (by our Gov, MoD etc) veterans has been superb.

I had half written him off due the Sir Roger Scruton incident but I was wrong in thinking that was the measure of the man.

Long may he cause trouble on the back benches.

Caught Covid during the court appearance, already being a very ill man

Newspaper reporting

Interesting. I would argue that the Courts of NI have failed in their duty of care. In response a relentless campaign should be started against each and every member involved in this case. It should be dragged out over many years and include enquiries.

Lets include some bitter and nasty protests march and a good media drubbing, because that is the example that has been set.

This on the BBC,

In the public interest?. Nope, it was a politically motivated which hunt by those on the left, and a massive waste of taxpayer's money.

No doubt the usual IRA groupie liars, er sorry lawyers were lining their pockets out of this, as well as scoring political points.

Scum of the first order all behind this vile charade.

Interesting. I would argue that the Courts of NI have failed in their duty of care. In response a relentless campaign should be started against each and every member involved in this case. It should be dragged out over many years and include enquiries.

Lets include some bitter and nasty protests march and a good media drubbing, because that is the example that has been set.
Why couldn't he have been present in court via remote camera from England?

He'd still be alive.

I wonder, and this is just speculation so don't anyone go off your head, but I hope this sad news doesn't mean they hyenas just move on to the next character.
Here's the next one for the media leeches and Republican hypocritical bastards to jump on.

"This development leaves just one other veteran facing trial, David Holden, who is accused of the manslaughter of Aidan McAnespie in 1988."

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I hope a certain BLIAR hangs his miserable head in shame. He usefully of killing this man!

Here's the next one for the media leeches and Republican hypocritical bastards to jump on.

"This development leaves just one other veteran facing trial, David Holden, who is accused of the manslaughter of Aidan McAnespie in 1988."

I knew someone who was present when McAnespie was shot. It's a problematic case.

The government needs to draw a line under everything that happened before the GFA and make it very plain that it is (political and judicial) ancient history.

Sinn Fein doesn't really care about anything that happened during those years. They will stop trying to make political capital out of old cases the second that the wider costs outweigh the benefits.

100% advocte puuting a taig in a bag this welk. Lets see, hr
On a side note, I see he was in the Mater. Was it just where they had space or is it a COVID tratment center of some sort?
It's the designated Covid treatment centre.

On a side note, I see he was in the Mater. Was it just where they had space or is it a COVID tratment center of some sort?
Mater was the main Covid hospital in Belfast, with the City Tower block taking any over flow as a Nightingale hospital as far as I remember.

With no new evidence presented, the decision by Northern Ireland’s judicial system to drag a veteran through the courts was grotesque farce
JOHNNY MERCER19 October 2021 • 7:00pm
Johnny Mercer

Johnny Mercer and Dennis Hutchings, pictured before the trial in Belfast

Johnny Mercer and Dennis Hutchings, pictured the week before the trial in Belfast CREDIT: Geoff Pugh for The Telegraph
news-headlines.png

News Headlines​

News stories personally picked just for you
In the end, he died alone, without any family, struggling to breathe and miles from home. He was determined to face down his accusers, but the farce that is the judicial system in Northern Ireland got their man in the end.
The trial killed him. The prosecution spent most of their time reading into the record “hearsay” historical evidence - there was no new evidence presented. It reminded me of the kangaroo courts we used to have in the barracks as young soldiers. Except this was no joke.
While many are united in the condemnation of these trials, they have to be witnessed in person for their full abhorrent nature to be truly appreciated. An old man - barely able to hear, dying in front of us, alone save for his dogged legal team led by Philip Barden - totally abandoned by his political masters that sent him to prevent civil war in Northern Ireland so many decades ago.

Things happened in Northern Ireland that should never have happened. People died who should never have died - the vast majority, of course, by republican and loyalist terrorists. But to think that these witch hunts are a way of correcting that is completely absurd.
Justice? We all want justice. But no one is quite brave enough to frame what justice might actually look like to the families some 50 years later. The investigations were appallingly bad; evidence was often collected in a way that is not lawful today. We let down many victims and security force personnel who died in the conflict. But the real question is what to do with the world as we find it, not as we would wish it to be.
My contempt for those who make a living off the back of the grievance industry in Northern Ireland knows no bounds.
Politicians have for years promised to end this grotesque spectacle. They’ve promised a lot - I’ll give them that. They know it’s not fair, they know it helps no one. They do care; the British public loathes how we treat our veterans in this country, and for secretaries of state and special advisers guided only by the latest opinion poll without any original ideas of their own, this makes them care.
But the harsh truth I’ve painfully realised of late is that they simply don’t care enough to actually do anything about it. Not once has the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland ever asked me what to do to sort this out; the Prime Minister can’t even be bothered to reply to my letters or make time to see me or others to discuss it.
Some complain that I call them cowards for not standing up for people like Dennis. But that is exactly what they have displayed - a political cowardice that cowers in the face of a bullying narrative that we should be ashamed of our veterans in this country. I simply will not accept it.
Rest easy, Dennis. I miss you, my friend. I’m proud of you

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I knew someone who was present when McAnespie was shot. It's a problematic case.

The government needs to draw a line under everything that happened before the GFA and make it very plain that it is (political and judicial) ancient history.

Sinn Fein doesn't really care about anything that happened during those years. They will stop trying to make political capital out of old cases the second that the wider costs outweigh the benefits.
Two parts to this.

One is keeping things alive politically.

The other is a concerted effort to see inside our intelligence operations.

From a Daily Telegraph article

Prosecutors attempted to introduce into court “bad character” evidence against Dennis Hutchings, even as the 80-year-old former soldier lay dying from Covid.

Lawyers for Mr Hutchings, who passed away on Monday night midway through his trial, expressed their outrage at an attempt to damage his reputation when he was clearly seriously ill.

On Monday night, campaigners demanded the introduction of a new “Dennis’s law” to end the so-called witch hunt of veterans and prevent them being dragged through the courts over deaths during the Troubles.

The Public Prosecution Service Northern Ireland had wanted a conviction against Mr Hutchings for an assault in 1957 – 64 years ago when he was a teenager – to be used as evidence against him in his trial over a fatal shooting during his time serving as a soldier in Northern Ireland.

Prosecutors knew Mr Hutchings had contracted Covid-19 because the trial had already been suspended for three weeks in the hope he would recover. But as Mr Hutchings lay in his hotel room hours before his death in a hospital, the prosecutors made the application to the judge at Belfast Crown Court for the conviction to be admitted.

Philip Barden, a partner at Devonshires law firm, said on Monday: “It is spiteful and vexatious that at the time he was dying in his hotel room they decided to do this. They are not interested in justice; they are only interested in revenge.”

“While Dennis was ill with Covid in his hotel room, the prosecution made an application to adduce before a judge that he had been convicted of assault in 1957, for which he got fined £2, as evidence of bad character.”

Archie

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
From a Daily Telegraph article

Prosecutors attempted to introduce into court “bad character” evidence against Dennis Hutchings, even as the 80-year-old former soldier lay dying from Covid.

Lawyers for Mr Hutchings, who passed away on Monday night midway through his trial, expressed their outrage at an attempt to damage his reputation when he was clearly seriously ill.

On Monday night, campaigners demanded the introduction of a new “Dennis’s law” to end the so-called witch hunt of veterans and prevent them being dragged through the courts over deaths during the Troubles.

The Public Prosecution Service Northern Ireland had wanted a conviction against Mr Hutchings for an assault in 1957 – 64 years ago when he was a teenager – to be used as evidence against him in his trial over a fatal shooting during his time serving as a soldier in Northern Ireland.

Prosecutors knew Mr Hutchings had contracted Covid-19 because the trial had already been suspended for three weeks in the hope he would recover. But as Mr Hutchings lay in his hotel room hours before his death in a hospital, the prosecutors made the application to the judge at Belfast Crown Court for the conviction to be admitted.

Philip Barden, a partner at Devonshires law firm, said on Monday: “It is spiteful and vexatious that at the time he was dying in his hotel room they decided to do this. They are not interested in justice; they are only interested in revenge.”

“While Dennis was ill with Covid in his hotel room, the prosecution made an application to adduce before a judge that he had been convicted of assault in 1957, for which he got fined £2, as evidence of bad character.”

Archie
Bunch of slimy twats!

Latest Threads