Denison Smock - value

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Blokeonabike, Dec 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My late father in law had, in the attick, his denison smock. It is almost certainly a genuine original (he had a Para and SAS background) and is in excellent condition. I have no intention of selling it on walt-bay but I am curious as to how much an orginal and genuine denison smock is actually worth to collectors these days just so I can impress upon my wife the importance of looking after it.
  2. Are they valuable? I've just cut one up for dusters.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I am guessing that genuine ones might have some value. Fakes and replicas probably less so.
  4. Seen them listed for over £1200 on greedbay .......... Not seen them sell for that though.

I suppose it depends on type, model , size, condition and how deep the collector's pockets are ........
  5. Is it the half zip one? Only the wartime smocks are worth a bit of money really.
  6. A quick google shows a 1959 copy new replica is on Silvermans website for £250 quid. A new condition original circa 1958 compton webb is on there for £500 quid. I'm sure in the past I've seen them elswhere for more?

7. I wouldn't go by silverthiefs ........

A quick look shows a mint '59 pattern in a size 1 up for £150. No-one has bitten yet ......

Some WW2 ones had an oversmock zipper fitted to make them easier to put on and off so not everything with a full zipper is worth 'only' £100 - £200 ..........
  8. I put my Dad's 45 pattern one on ebay for him a few months ago, it was in a pretty knackered condition but still went for about £220.