Denby Mega-Truck

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
So this firm thinks that a truck twice the length of a standard Articulated truck is a good idea on British roads.

Are they kidding? It's bad enough being stuck behind one as it struggles up a hill at 35mph. Can you imagine this one? can you imagine the nightmare if it took a wrong turn and ended up in a city somewhere?

BBC Link

Test Drive

It looks like progress to me, the weight limit is the same in any case and this vehicle is articulated in order to perform like a normal truck. It allows more bulk to be carried on a single vehicle and, crucially, in real terms one big truck takes up a lot less room on the road than two slightly smaller ones, thereby easing congestion (allowing for a minimum of, say, 17m between vehicles; 1 x 26m truck takes up 43m of road, whereas 2 x 17m trucks take up 68m of road).

The defence rests m'lud.

If used wisely from warehouses in close proximity to motorways or dual carriageways I can't see a huge problem as the disruption of the vehicle length would be for minimal time and distance.

When required to go into towns they could drop a trailer somewhere near the motorway, deliver and then go back and collect the other trailer.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Its a hub & spoke job for motorway trips, not multi-drop, designed for trucking bog rolls, not rolled steel.

It gets my vote. Besides, that thing is about as sexy as a Jaguar V8 4.2 Sovereign. In British Racing Green.

Great for bulk from somewhere like Daventry to another destination close to a motorway. Problem starts when there is an accident on the motorway and you get diverted through a town or city to rejoin.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Proximo The NAAFI Bar 1
B OTC and ACF 1
tattybadger Current Affairs, News and Analysis 7