Demolition of Buller Barracks

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by taylortaylor, Apr 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Saturday 30 March 2013 a parade of veterans was held to mark the demolition of Buller Barracks Aldershot, the spiritual home of the Royal Corps of Transport.
    It was an emotional affair and the pictures are available of the RCT facebook page
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wow, I didn't know that was happening! I was JLR and spent a maximum of 2 weeks there in my entire army career, and that was 2 weeks too much. I've never seen so much bullshit shoehorned into such as small space.
    TSMT anyone?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It was also emotional for me many years ago (1983), when I was being beasted on Buller Square on two!!!! (don't ask why) SMQC's.

I was unable to attend this event due to being tied up with the RBL Riders at Bletchley Park where a few exTROGGS attended.
  4. The process probably started in 1971 with the 6 inch wide crack in the wall of my room on the first floor opposite the guardroom. I had a lovely view.

Edit. Thinking about it, it was more like a 3" crack. You can still get a howling gale through 3 inches, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. All of Buller? The network infrastructure was upgraded recently wasn't it?
  6. A certain indicator of disposal/destruction ^~
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Thats part of my personal history gone. RCT was the sponsoring corps for me. Pre-RCB, POC Troop circa 1980. A certain Mr Collins was a mate of mine during POC troop.
  8. I had a similar experience in Buller's Officer's Mess in 2003. I promptly fucked off to a transit room in RAF Odiham's Officer's Mess the following day.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. How the hell is anyone going to tell the difference between pre and post demolition of that dump
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Buller Barracks gone or going and yet there are still some of the wooden huts in use at Norton Manor Camp. (Home of JLR RCT).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Did you utilise the duty vehicle or simply dialled up a helo cab for the ride there? :)
  12. I just wish they included the roundabout outside the main gates.......seriously ruins my high speed run into the new camps main gate down the road!
  13. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I used to go there to;

The clothing store, "Your unit is only entitled to 3 shirts per month."

Int Corp brieifngs "We don't care what you do as long as you keep a diary and show us."

Annual reporting day-to a particularly officious corporal "I don't have a rank, I am a civilian but you can call me Sir if you like."

Buller Barracks; positive memories are nil.
  14. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

RIP Buller barracks. The next casualty has to be Martenique Barracks in Bordon. I am assuming that Poperinghe Barracks is long gone. Wasn't there also a Havannah Barracks in Bordon.
  15. About time it was pulled down, It was condemned when I was there in 92 over run with cockroaches that were fooking huge and being on the ground floor of the holding troop in the 8 man rooms which were a squeeze for 4 never mind 8 plus MFO boxes and the lockers being placed over the holes in the wall to keep the lot from the next room out. Still had a laugh there though apart from the guard 2 on 2 off for 24hrs and doing shite jobs on your time off. Plus not being able to lie on the beds until after 18.00 ..Great fun I felt sorry for the lads who done day on/off for weeks at a time.