Democracy lecturer is killed in Baghdad...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jan 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. KGB-resident,
    that link leads to a closed article, which we cannot access. And if that is a picture of her, what a bloody waste..........

Can you cut & paste?
  2. It is a bit strange. Maybe I (occasionally) deleted a letter or two

There is another article about this tragic death in NY Tymes.

Ahh... I understand, I'm registerd on NY Times pages.

I don't understand one thing. A young beautifull lady sacrifised her life in the name of democracy in Iraq. One could expect this story appeared on front-pages of main-stream mass-media. What highly esteemed, underlearned mr.Bush would say?
  3. What a waste trying to teach democracy to Islam, it has never happened and never will. Democracy is not a word that is understood by Islam.
  4. Is it understood by you?
  5. Or you ?
  6. Spiffy, I suggest you do some reading on the wealth of liturature written by prominent members of the Ulema, as well as laymen before you make sweeping generalisations.

To start you off: A Theory of Religious Democracy by Hamid Hadji Haidar
    ISBN 1-904063-18-7

The author is a member of the Faculty of Oriental Studies, University of Cambridge, and has written extensively on Islamic and Western political theory.
  7. What a waste... They didn't even keep her alive long enough to... Oh, it's not the NAAFI. :evil:

8. Democracy lecturer in Baghdad?

Surely a contradiction in terms.
  9. She hadn't and wouldn't have brought democracy to the Iraq version of Islam.
    Maybe you could list the wonderful islamic countries that have embraced democracy.

1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
    2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
    3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
    4. Majority rule.
    5. The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.
  10. If you had free and fair elections in the Middle East (and as someone once said, it's not enough to win the vote, you've got to win the count as well), I wonder what sort of parties would be likely to get sweeping majorities? And then whether they would allow a second free and fair election at the end of their prescribed term of office ...
  11. The Iraqi version of Islam ??? What on earth are you talking about ?? Do you even know of the branches of Islam, or the political parties in Iraq, religious or secular ?

As for democracy in the ME, that's been the LAST thing we and the US have wanted as then we cannot dictate what we want. We have propped up these kleptocracies and encouraged the rulers to keep their populations down.

Short version - watch the film Syriana; otherwise I suggest you start reading before posting on topics of which you obviously have very little knowledge.

12. I wasn't passing any comment - just included a link for more detail that's all.
    Google 'Mosadeq' to find out what happens when Islamic OIL producing countries do try democracy.
    And look what we did to Hamas when they won an election.