Democracy in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Mar 20, 2009.

?
  1. are impossible because of local customs

78.3%
  2. are impossible because of the occupation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. are impossible because of Taliban

8.7%
  4. are impossible because US does want it

4.3%
  5. are impossible for other reasons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The next elections will be free and fair

8.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090320/wl_nm/us_afghan;_ylt=AofqjXbfO3es6qYunrq9tipm.3QA

What do you think about democracy in Afghanistan?

2. And what do you think?

3. Seconded.

What do you think KGB_resident?

4. Never going to happen

5. Democracy in Afghanistan is the shortest anecdote possible. Though human rights defenders from Freedom House think that levels of freedom in Afghanistan and Russia are about the same.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/uploads/WoW09/WOW%202009.pdf

1- highest level (good)
    7- low level (bad)

PR - political rights.
    CL - civil liberties.

Afghanistan PR - 5, CL - 6
    Russia PR - 6, CL - 5

So the situation with civil liberties in Afghanistan is slightly worse than in Russia. But as for political rights then Afghanistan is more free than Russia.

Washington's Political dictionary

Free elections - elections where Washington is free to appoint its puppets.
    Unfair elections - election where American puppets don't win.

So from point of view of Washington future elections in Afghanistan are free and fair.

Of course, the thives from Putin's gang run Russia using braiwashing and polit technologies but as for democracy then it is impossible even to compare Russia and Afghanistan.

6. will take a while but I think its possible

7. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

I think it is possible, but the place will have to be fried first. It can only happen when the majority and I mean the vast majority are prepared to put all the local customs bulshiite behind them and work together to a better future. Look how successfuk Japan became..

8. Not our form of democracy, anyway.

Lucky them.

9. I think it could become one further down the line once the war has been won (although that is by no means certain) and the government have full control of the country, but for now I think we will settle for a stable dictator.

10. How long will it take to transform a feudal society to a democratic one?

Only the last one I can think of, required two buckets of instant sunshine and a Marshall plan to achieve it within a generation.

11. I suspect the best we can hope for for now is some variant on the 'more-or-less-benevolent despot' theme. Anyone strong enough to keep the country united would likely use his position to settle tribal scores. The best chance for a broadly popular strongman died with Masoud.

The longer foreign forces are involved, and the longer civilian casualties mount up (best will or not, it's inevitable) the more the ordinary Afghan will become divorced from whoever happens to occupy Kabul. I doubt they'll automatically flock to Terry but it certainly won't be healthy for political engagement. Democracy can only survive when people are interested in it.

12. I saw the piece on Tolo TV and Afghan Star tonight. I can't help thinking the answer to a lot of things is in there somewhere.

13. Well, I was going to vote for this poll before I felt an AK prod me and looked up to see a bearded man in a turban saying "DURKA DURKA DURKA are impossible because US does want it DURKA DURKA!!" 8O