Demob Help!!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by hotel_60, Jun 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope someone can help with what is quite a pressing problem...

I'm currently serving in Basra as an individual augmentee and am due to leave theatre in days few. On flicking through the bumpf that you get at Chilwell, all I can find about de-mobilisation is that 'you will be briefed fully towards the end of your tour'. This hasn't happened and no one in my admin office seems to know anything about, for example, being picked up from Brize and taken to Chilwell. Can anyone let me know whether this happens automatically, whether my unit should arrange it (they appear to be washing their hands of it) or whether I need to let Chilwell know myself? If it's the latter - has anyone got a phone number?

Hope someone can help with this. Please feel free to PM me! Thanks in advance...

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The Super/Chief Clerk at your unit in theatre should notify RTMC Chilwell of your return timings. RTMC arrange for transportation from BZ (usually a coach or two to pick up those returning). From then on out you're in the ever loving hands of RTMC. You're supposed to have 72 hours of decompression, but I did mine in Germany with the the unit that I was attached to as an IR. The actual demob process at Chilwell is over in hours, they really can't get shot of you fast enough. We never got a brief in theatre and were pretty much guessing what was going to happen next at every stage.

3. It has to be your clerk, they should liase with Chilwell. We were picked up from Brize,(3 of us) and taken at 3am direct to Chilwell by a driver from RMTC. Its vital those in charge of you do this.

Weapon cleaning 1st, pay, some dekit you will hold onto uniform, ready for your next tour!!!, medical, some de briefs on PTSD....

They can get you through very quickly,.. just bear in mind there is a supermarket outside the gates if you fancy a sherbert on the journey home...

Once you are out thats it, you disappear into society, if you are stressed get help!!!

Then in about 3 years time you may get your medal

By the way its warm here at the moment, not as warm where you are but not bad.

Hope your last few days are safe and problem free

4. msr

msr LE

This unit needs to be named and shamed. It's stories like this which make me wonder if all the effort that people put in to the TA is worthwhile...

msr

5. Errr, I think that might give hotel_60s i.d. away...

6. Well said MSR - Staggered that this still goes on! Three years on - No change.

7. My de-mob was over in 3 hours. My clerk in theatre (we had a dedicated clerk for the LAD) was superb sorted everything.

RTMC was a different matter.

Arrived at 17:00, with a RAMC Lt Col, to be greeted by some t0sser of an RLC Captain. We watched a DVD by General Jackson thanking us for our hard work while the Capt checked our weapons. The Lt Col's pistol was minging and the Captain said the Armourers would clean it for him. Then he looked at my weapon (which was spotless), started pointing out Carbon Deposits and commented that I should have done some time with the infantry to teach me how to clean my weapon. He wasn't impressed when I told him that I was an Armourer, had just come back from being attached to Armoured Infantry and his, so called, carbon was infact Rustproofing.

Handed in rifle, cleaning kit, Bayonet and Mags. The clothing bods didn't want anything back apart from the sleeping bag.

The pay debrief was:
    "Any problems?"
    "Yep. No LSSA".
    "Oh we'll do that. Here's your POTL entitlement and some leaflets. Off you go now because I want to go to the Naafi".
    "How do I get home?"
    "Get a lift, I'm not doing any warrants."

Medical was:
    "Do you have any injuries or psycological problems?"
    "Um. No?"
    "Good Answer. Bye".

RTMC=Trench dodging choppers of the highest order.

8. .........................

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Did anyone actually see/talk to/correspond with this bloke/blokette. The f***er was like the Scarlet Pimparnel when I was on Telic, we sought him here, we sought him there etc. For those of us who weren't lucky enough to based at SLB there was little hope of getting access to him/her, and there were those who had genuine issues that needed answering.

10. Disgusting. Had almost the same thing in 2003.

Finishing Mobilisation (not demob), told to report to my new unit for pre-tour beat up in a week.

Fantaka, thinks me. Week off at HM's expense. Queue for my Travel warrant.

RTMC chopper: "Not entitled to one, mate. Ask your receiving unit."

Gingwarr: "But I'm not their responsibility yet. It's your responsibility to see I get to my next unit, with the right kit and paperwork."

(This is when my spidey sense started tingling)

Gingwarr: "In fact, I'm fairly sure that most people at my receiving unit don't know I'm coming, and when I start asking for little expenses like this to be covered, people will start pointing fingers at each other and saying it's not their problem. I don't know why I'm thinking this, but I think that I'm going to end up with a bill for £250 for travel before I deploy. I'll see another reservist with the same problem, but at twice the cost. Neither of us will ever end up seeing the money again. Wow, I just keep getting these premonitions."

RTMC Chopper: "erm..."

(Spidey sense went into overdrive - I had those wiggley lines coming out of my head and everything)

Gingwarr: Blimey, I've just realised that I'm not going to be paid for the next ten weeks, and that in six weeks time I will be fielding angry phone calls from my bank manager and credit card company, wondering when I'm going to throw cash their way, going cash in hand to my parents like a bloody child for the money so I can buy a train ticket to so that I might deploy on the job you've asked me to do, and finally, wondering whether to poo in a piece of tupperware and post it to you in order to show you what I think about the way you work. The one thing that will stop me is that I can't afford the postage."

RTMC Chopper: "...."

11. Luckily I'd already got someone to come and get me, as I only lived two hours away from Nottingham. The Lt Col I came back with offered me the use of his mobile.

I asked the question of the Clerk as there was no chance of staying at Chillwell, I had kit all over the place (thanks to crab air but that's a different story) and they seemed to be avoiding the problem of getting me home at the hour of 20:00. Thank christ I didn't live in Scotland, or I'd have been f*cked.

There seems to be a big problem with RTMC and transport. How do they expect you to get there with loads of kit? The obvious answer is a lift but they only pay your petrol one way and you cannot leave a car there. I've heard that some units will take you there and pick you up, but they shouldn't have to do this.

12. There is an SO2 and SO3 reserves at SLB. They conduct visits to all units with reserves in theatre and while the SO2 deals with the CoC the SO3 conducts a drop in surgery for any reserves. They are committed to reducing this sort of thing and not like the scarlet pimpernels of previous Telics (I agree, ours was a total waste of air conditioning). If your unit/RTMC are letting you down while in theatre try calling them. They are on the phone network and would rather be informed than have it bitched about on here. And if they do sort you out come back on here and let everyone know - not just the winges but the success stories. PM me if you have no joy getting their number.

13. BETTER HOPE THAT THE CRABS DON,T BREAK DOWN,PITCHED UP AT THE APOD IN BASRA ,HAD TO WAIT 48 HRS TO BOARD FLIGHT TO UAE,PLANE THEN BROKE DOWN AGAIN,FLEW PART OUT FROM BRIZE,GOT ON THE PLANE BACK AT BRIZE FOR 10AM ON SAT MORNING,THE CELL AT RTMC FUCKED US OFF ,TRIED TO HOLD US OVER TILL MONDAY-THAT IS THE SRS-JNRS,THE OFFICERS WERE A SPECIAL CASE.ANYTHING FOR THEM.TRIED TO PUT US ON A TRAIN UP THE ROAD.ANYWAY APART FROM ALL THE SHITE,IT WAS GREAT TO GET HOME EVENTUALLY.THERE SHOULD BE A COACH WAITING AT BRIZE FOR YOU.

HAPPY HOMECOMING :D

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Please don't take this as a dig, but be minded of the fact that many of us didn't have 09-1700 hr jobs inside the wire. Access to someone's office phone to sort out issues with Chilwell during their office hours and your off duty time (with time difference thrown in) can some (most?) times be a considerable effort for little reward (unless of course you have a fetish for the computer-synth version of Green Sleeves). Given also that there are usually many other more pressing (at the time) things to do, it does tend to channel one toward the "Oh f*** it! I'll leave it in the Clerks' in-tray". 'Tis after all their job, no?

To be sure, the Clerks (at least the senior ones) at our HQ were very good and thanks to a very professional Super Clerk, managed to take care of pretty much most of the routine Reservist issues from CR's to notification to RTMC of our return dates. On the other hand, some of thelower level, snotty-nosed, younger, ones had no idea how close they got to catching an ND in their Jacobs Crackers.

15. Ummm .... as far as I understood it yes they should actually - before mobilisation and after de-mob you are back on your own Unit's strength and they SHOULD be providing transport/hire cars or at the very least warrants.